MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

Threads: 121

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Always cheery!

cool.gif posted on September 28th, 2002 at 08:20 PM
Kombi campers and car stereos

Hay all, at the moment the stereo setup in our Kombi consists of an old Pioneer radio.casette head unit and two 3-wayt speakers mounted on the roof (box type setup) just behind the driver and passenger heads. The cassette mechanism is screwed and no longer works so I'm going to replace the head unit. The other problem is when my daughter want the music louder it ends up blaring in the back of your head up front and she still can't hear it down the back!! What I'm thinking of at the moment is reversing the roof mounted speakers to face rearward so the kids can hear the music ok and mounting 6-inc h speakers in the front doors for those up front. How does that sound? Anyone have comments on the Kombi setups they have done?

Cheers...KOM123
MemberOvalGlen
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 46

Mood: Change

posted on September 28th, 2002 at 11:29 PM

The wifes lavendar Kombi has two speakers either side of the rear seat and two either side of the front doors. Thank goodness the stereo we have has fader - so we can adjust all of the sound to the back if required by Madam 4. or she can sleep and we can have only music at the very front. It isnt that hard to run the thin speaker wires under the rubber floor mat edges. Only down side is having to put those speaker holes in the Trims.
Now when I'm alone in the Kombi all four speakers are cranked to Max and it sounds Great.

Regards,Glenn>
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

posted on September 29th, 2002 at 07:09 PM

Got a few ideas from the picnic day today with many Kombi have speakers mounted just below the rear seat. If I take that option I'd better make sure they've got good grilles cause I can see the kids putting there heels straight through them otherwise!
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on September 29th, 2002 at 07:40 PM

I'm still using the old 70's push-button radio-cassette in my kombi with just one 6" speaker in each of the front door trims, and I have to admit that is sounds pretty good, but these were quality components in their time. If it needs anything it would be insulation in the vehicle itself to cut down some wind and road noise.

There's a great site on insulation here: http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex/ 

My future plans for an upgrade include an mp3-compatible radio/Cd head unit and the addition of a pair of three-way speakers mounted in speaker boxes where the parcel shelf would be if it had one. I might even build a sub-box behind the back seat if I stumble upon a decent amp and subwoofer. :D

[Edited on 29-9-2002 by KruizinKombi]

Kruizin Kol
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

posted on September 29th, 2002 at 10:41 PM

With door mounted speakers up the front, what's the go with water that might drip down. Sorry I'm a bit ignorant about this stuff, is it that water doesn't drip down that way (i.e. goes via another route) or do you need to put some sort of protective cover over the speaker?
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on September 29th, 2002 at 11:22 PM

Just make sure that the rubber window scrapers (along the bottom of the wind-down windows, inside and out, but mainly out) are in good condition.

[Edited on 29-9-2002 by KruizinKombi]

Kruizin Kol
Memberjeffh
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

posted on September 30th, 2002 at 08:27 AM

Hi,
What I have in my Kombi is an adaptation of what the previous owner put in but relocated and split up.
Firstly, a separate amplifier in this case 4 channels x150w mounted to the front of the bulkhead just behind the passenger seat. This is really worth it, on my previous kombi with the dashboard unit driving 4 speakers i could see the display dim with drumbeats.
from two of the channels I drive a two 8" woofers mounted in boxes under the rear seat( this is an 8 seater) the signal is split by two crossovers to these and to smaller tweeter horns mounted in the top of the panel under the back window
The bass from the woofers can be heard and felt despite the location and the highs from the tweeters are better from a higher location.
The other two channels drive some smaller front speakers mounted under the dash.
Grat sound. much loder than I use.
Jeff
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on September 30th, 2002 at 05:27 PM

I hate cutting holes in door panels.

In my Kombi, I'm currently using two little 'parcel shelf' speaker units that contain an 8cm an 4cm speaker each. They are in little boxes about the size of a half loaf of bread. I have mounted them just under the dash, one on each side, with custom-made brackets.

I have also routed speaker wire to the rear, as factory campers have a small wooden storage unit just below the roof at the rear. I will be mounting two more speakers in the front of the storage unit, which will be somewhat above the rear passengers' heads.
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on October 1st, 2002 at 07:41 PM

In my twincab I'm running a Sony CD head unit, 2 6inch speakers in the front (in front of your feet) 2 6x9 3 ways in the kick panel under the back seat, and 2 10inch subs under the back seat. It cranks loud enough to drown out the kids noise thats for sure.......:thumb :P

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on October 1st, 2002 at 08:18 PM

I don't like cutting holes in door panels either, but that's where the previous owner put them. :)

Incidently, mounting the speakers to the sides so that they are directed towards the person sitting further away creates a more balanced stereo effect than facing them rearwards.

Kruizin Kol
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

posted on October 1st, 2002 at 10:34 PM

Sounds like some great setups, anyone got pics?

Go To Top