Author: Subject:  Indicators
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on July 18th, 2011 at 07:58 PM
Indicators

Hey all!

I had an issue with my indicators a couple of days back now, where they decided not to work for a bit. After driving around for half an hour, they decided to work again. I thought nothing of it.

But then yesterday happened. My indicators went very weird during the afternoon. They wouldn't work. Then, come half an hour later, they only stayed on. They won't blink.

Now, I took off the fuse box cover and to my dismay I found water. A build up of it too. I did my best to try and trace where the water was coming from, and the only place I can think is through where the fan is kept inside the bonnet.

I took a look and there is a lot of gunk in there. But there is this hole, it looks factory, and I'm somewhat certain that is where the water is coming from. I'm going to have to clean out the whole thing and see if there are any other holes.

What is the best practice for doing so? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm in a L bug, obviously this means my dash is padded, hence why the fan is in this little box thing in the bonnet. A seal must be missing somewhere or something is amiss...

Any help/pointers would be very much appreciated!

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
MemberannosL
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: need to win lotto

posted on July 19th, 2011 at 01:13 AM

There is a hole in the fresh air box, at the back about 30mm dia. which is designed to drain water. Under the dash, above the fuse box, you will see a rubber drain pipe which fits to that hole and leads water down to an exit hole to the ground. If the drain is blocked and not sealing where it meets the hole to the fresh air box (due to rust etc) then water can leak there and drip onto the fuse box. Only effective repair is to repair any rust by welding in new steel and fitting the rubber drain pipe (after cleaning) so it has a water tight seal. I had the same problem, was a days work to get it fixed but been good ever since. Not one of VW's better designs on the Supers but is fixable
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on July 21st, 2011 at 07:56 AM

annosL,

all fixed man! Check out my build thread, the details are on there.
She had her first test last night, woke up this morning to find her covered in condensation.
But she turned over and everything worked, I even got under the dash to see if I could feel any water.
NOTHING.

I am so happy and proud. Epic.

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl

Go To Top