Memberclyve
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 93

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: painfully happy

yes.gif posted on July 25th, 2011 at 07:19 PM

hello vw gods
I am learning so take thing slow.
I have stripped the 1600 twin port down to the pistons and barrels (still on the crank). and I notived that there was some oil in the number 1 cylinder... not good.
I am having the heads cleaned skimmed and tested on the valves but need to know if the barrels/pistons are stuffed and how easy to replace...reseal.
Can I fit the 1600 piston and barrels from the classic vw supplies and is it easy ish...
I dont want a supper engine just a sweet one and I need to learn the hard way.
All help and comments will greatly be received...
will be happy when this is done...happier when the next arrives........
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy all the time

posted on July 25th, 2011 at 08:50 PM

You obviously have some mechanical skills to get this far,mark each piston & barrell then remove the under cylinder air deflector (put this in a safe place as it is critical) slide the barrell off the piston when you have both barrells off one side remove the circlips and tap the gudgeon pin out until the piston is free,turn the engine until the 2nd piston is at TDC and repeat. Then do the other side,the units can be inspected after cleaning,if you are replacing them you will need a piston ring clamp and a workshop manual (the Idiot manual is great) These little engines are a pleasure to work on but if you get frustrated or ham fisted will give you grief.

Go To Top