Author: Subject:  Help front beam
MemberLuke
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 29th, 2011 at 05:38 PM
Help front beam

Hi guys. Ive got a problem. During the resto process most things are getting the complete overhaul. Ive stripped the front beam to paint it. I left the bearings in and pugged the ends with cloth. Now the problem is. One of the clothes fell out, or so I thought, so I kind of prodded and poked to make room for another one but infact I was pushing the oringinal one down deep into the axle tube. Now these tubes as you know are totally full of grease and II can't get the bloody cloth out.

I have made a little tool and have removed most of the bulk of the grease. This stuff is just everywhere. Now the other problem is there is grease all over my beam which was nicely etch primed and now ruined. So basically I want to get all of the grease out and off, and powder coat it. What is going to be the best way? I would love to chuck it some type of oven to heat the grease up and melt it out, then try and get some type of hot tanking happening. Are there any engineering shops that would do this?
Thanks
MemberOld Dubber
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: great!

posted on July 29th, 2011 at 06:36 PM

Luke,

It's very common for them to be filled with grease. Wipe out as much as you can, then use a good degreaser.
Have a look at the pics here, for what's inside the beam.
http://vwdcqinc.org.au/vwdcqimages/insideafrontaxle/insideafrontaxle.html

Grahame
visit my club site at www.vwdcqinc.org.au

Go To Top