Author: Subject:  Import-a-Ghia?
MemberChromeo
Learner Dubber

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 20th, 2011 at 09:57 PM
Import-a-Ghia?

Hi all,

I have noticed that Ghias are pretty pricey here in AUS when compared to Type 3's.

Bought a UK VW mag the other day and noticed a neat looking '67 Ghia for 5.5K GBP. In contrast, most of the UK T3's were on par to their AU counterparts.

Am I correct in thinking that Ghias are cheaper in the UK?

Has anyone ever imported a Ghia from the UK?

Did a bit of digging into importing from the UK and found it to be a pretty complex undertaking. There seems to be quite a few cost elements making a total cost estimate pretty dam difficult to estimate.

Any thoughts, tips or overall cost estimates?

Go easy on the slang - I'm not quite sure what I'm doing...

I'm into early Type 3's and Ghias. Never owned a VW or anything older than MY94 for that matter.
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on October 20th, 2011 at 10:04 PM

be aware that it is getting harder to import cars due to the change of rules. you now need to get approval before doing it. saying that there have been a few that have imported recently from the uk. boomerdog i think imported his bug. also remember that most of the cars over there have a lot more rust issues due to road salting.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Membergrogy
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 344

posted on October 20th, 2011 at 11:04 PM

unless u fly over to check it out closely, i save n spend 20plus here and buy one that has cost at least twice that to restore
MemberBeerboy
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 147

posted on October 21st, 2011 at 12:20 PM

My ex imported a South African Import from the UK to OZ. If its old enough then it is not imposible as it comes in as a historic car. I think the problem you will run in to is that you have to prove you have owned the car for 12 months. So you might have to be creative.

It certainly wasnt cheap and easy although it didnt cost much on tax I paid more on parts, that came in the same container.

We were living in the uk at the time and I inspected the car in person. I had a good towie to take it to the port too

It gets a great reception where ever it goes :-)

WANTED kombi drivers side rear corner for a early bay! found after six years lol
WANTED engine lid for early kombi 71
MemberWannavee
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on October 21st, 2011 at 03:30 PM

Don't bother. If its from the UK, its probably shagged with rust or dodgy repairs.
Factor in purchase price, shipping, can you actually get it imported, potential rust repairs,will it pass roadworthy? etc etc
Save ya headaches and ya cash and buy something local.
Ghia's are affordable if ya not mega fussy, its just that some owners THINK theyre worth shitloads.
Local one here in SA had $20k on it and recently sold for $15k and was mint, not totally original, but was very close.
You just have to make a stupid offer.Sometimes it works
MemberBeerboy
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 24th, 2011 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wannavee
Don't bother. If its from the UK, its probably shagged with rust or dodgy repairs.
Factor in purchase price, shipping, can you actually get it imported, potential rust repairs,will it pass roadworthy? etc etc
Save ya headaches and ya cash and buy something local.
Ghia's are affordable if ya not mega fussy, its just that some owners THINK theyre worth shitloads.
Local one here in SA had $20k on it and recently sold for $15k and was mint, not totally original, but was very close.
You just have to make a stupid offer.Sometimes it works

I am sure the OP is not suggesting that he wants to import a rusty ghia. As you just said someone got a good deal on the ghia in SA. This could be a good deal for an import or restored resto. 5.5 UKP is 8.5k

I for one have not seen any good early cheap ghias for sale but then I am not in the market for one.

As everyone has said you would be wise to view and I think you will fail to jump through the hoops not being in the UK

pictures?

WANTED kombi drivers side rear corner for a early bay! found after six years lol
Memberbuilder
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on October 24th, 2011 at 06:10 PM

well, i think here is one of the expensive country to buy a car. for example one model of landcruiser cost $65K and it s $25 in US!. Do your research and buy if only you are confident with it!
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: good

posted on October 24th, 2011 at 06:38 PM

a lot of vw's are way over price, most owner's are unrealististic in there expectations when they sell, only have to look on carsales.com to see the same cars on there for months
MemberCalcool
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 196

Mood: Going Shopping in my Trolley

posted on October 25th, 2011 at 06:30 PM
Buy Mine Locally

Hi,

I have a 64 Ghia Cabrio that was bought in from the states but a change of plans means I am not proceeding with it.

Owes me $10,500

See the link

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=92503 

Cheers,

David
MemberChromeo
Learner Dubber

Threads: 4

posted on October 25th, 2011 at 09:22 PM

Thanks for the great replies. I guess that if I dipped the toe in the water and posted a WTB then I might be surprised at what comes out of the wood-work. Just not quite ready yet.

@ Beerboy - nah, no pics - only the one from ultra VW mag classifieds

@ vwo60 - agreed - stale adds a plenty on CS...

@ Calcool - thank for the offer mate but even if I were ready to buy I would prefer a tin-top over a Cabrio. V nice car tho.

I am also quite partial to a cal rat T3...

Decisions decisions

Go easy on the slang - I'm not quite sure what I'm doing...

I'm into early Type 3's and Ghias. Never owned a VW or anything older than MY94 for that matter.
MemberBeerboy
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 27th, 2011 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chromeo

@ Beerboy - nah, no pics - only the one from ultra VW mag classifieds
Decisions decisions

Oh! I thought you had seen it on the internet, I think ultra has a three month wait for classified adds due to it being free then we get the mag a month late. most probably gone if it looked a good price. I doubt very much too that you are going to be able to compete with a local buyer. With so many scams going on you are going to have to work hard to convince someone to go to the extra effort to ship it. most have it up for a sale for a reason. I know the one my ex bought was because the wife wanted a kitchen. :crazy: cash talks.......

MemberIsola
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 28th, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calcool
Hi,

I have a 64 Ghia Cabrio that was bought in from the states but a change of plans means I am not proceeding with it.

Owes me $10,500

See the link

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=92503 

Cheers,

David

I saw your car at Wynnum, David. If I had the money I would have snapped it up. A LHD would be the best kind of KG to have. I hope whoever buys yours doesn't convert it!

Go To Top