A.k.a.: nathan kirkman
Commited Dubber

Threads: 11

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: skittels

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 10:11 AM
69 beetle project

restart or my old project
ej20tt ( going to be a big pain in the ...... )
kombi 091 gearbox
944s4 alloy rear arms and brakes (85.5)
944 brakes on front
got about 2 weekends left cutting the rest of rust out of body, then continue with finding/ making a little more clearences for motor.
its a start i guess
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/524/7a5c4108c790567e6c98740.th.jpghttp://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7164/5695ee0d4708ca1e0de37e6.th.jpghttp://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3527/bb46d8f254805e95bc192a0.th.jpghttp://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5483/a3d6dec9cbe4b72451713a2.th.jpghttp://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9117/81a12eb3eee538ea4f0f449.th.jpghttp://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1503/eb131a4bafb828cb556c8e6.th.jpghttp://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3641/b501620d04f17fa37d96ed9.th.jpghttp://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8369/65782edc014290ba22d1ce1.th.jpg
(really need to fix the fire wall up, but looking into bracing out the firewall sides to the body so i can put ecu in side area near guards.
hope its all going to be worth it, got a hell of a long way to go!

Nathan
MemberBirdman
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 49

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I like the perimetre frame and the seam welding on the forks. Keep the updates coming.
Are you running springplates with your 944 arms or uniballs?
Membertoey1984
Commited Dubber

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 12:17 PM

im going to try to run the 944 adjustable spring plate if i can ( since its a near bolt on iten, its going to be better with engineer as its not an actual modification, just upgraded item. ( plus if something goes wrong in the future its a item that doesnot have to be moded.)
the pan itself is a irs pan, with the balljoint front welded in place

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Nathan
Membertoey1984
Commited Dubber

posted on March 5th, 2012 at 07:59 PM

Had a good weekend in the build. Near covered the quad cam covers in the tail of the car, and as much as i wanted to to run the EJ20tt, looks like im cutting back to a ej20T.
By the time i get the black box of death connected and the hoses all riged up there will be no room in the engine bay, and its just to many hoses to come loose and cause a problem.
So aim for the week is to grind and finish the tail of the car off. Ill see how i go!.

Nathan
MemberAussie Dubbin
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 90

posted on March 5th, 2012 at 09:51 PM

Great keep it up

Memberthebullfrog
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 22

posted on March 5th, 2012 at 10:56 PM

keep up the good work, IRS with ball-joint...what im chasing atm.

What colour is your chassis?
Member66deluxe
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 139

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on March 5th, 2012 at 11:18 PM

You will enjoy having those 944 brakes i fitted 944 turbo brakes to my car the stopping power is awesome. I didnt like the 944 springplates due to no access to the eccentric bolts and the inability to tighten them once set at the angle you require. They intefere with the shock towers so i went back to stock dual springplates.

This is my Volkswagen, there are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my Volkswagen is useless, without my Volkswagen, I am useless.

61 Karmann Ghia 2110cc type1 w Los Panchito's
66 Deluxe Beetle 2270 type 4
10 Subaru WRX Impreza
Membertoey1984
Commited Dubber

posted on March 7th, 2012 at 01:51 AM

(thebullfrog)
Are you after a floorpan thats irs rear and ball joint front on it? If so do what i did and convert / cut the front off and put a ball joint front on. You can but the noses from classic. (I think mark reardon was doing them some time ago?) i have the floorpan in mudguard sound deadener atm, was going to GMH black over chass and then a light clear coat, but thats when i finish cutting & welding to it
(66delux)
Ive lifted my body 32mm higher off the floorpan for better clearence over the quad cam motor with the kombi box cause i didnt want to cut the torson housing area. I had the alloy arms under the car when i was checking cam cover clearence inside the guards.
It looked like it was good with the shock towers but i know what you mean about the bolts. Ill do a little bit of looking on the weekend and see if i can find some, build some somehow and be legal?.. (Try).
Are you using the porsche booter with yours? Im looking at buying /mod'ing the 944 booster into the beetle (when i can save enough for one). and upgrade the big single caliper on front to the 4poters alloy unit for looks and might naturaly give a better byus to rear of car (since thats where the weight is)

Nathan
Member66deluxe
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 139

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on March 7th, 2012 at 08:18 AM

I ended up using a golf mk1 19 or 20mm master cylinder works perfectly. You need and oval plate to weld onto front of frame head where master cylinder goes to space out the cylinder to ensure correct trave of brake push rod.

This is my Volkswagen, there are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my Volkswagen is useless, without my Volkswagen, I am useless.

61 Karmann Ghia 2110cc type1 w Los Panchito's
66 Deluxe Beetle 2270 type 4
10 Subaru WRX Impreza
Memberthebullfrog
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 22

posted on March 7th, 2012 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toey1984
(thebullfrog)
Are you after a floorpan thats irs rear and ball joint front on it? If so do what i did and convert / cut the front off and put a ball joint front on. You can but the noses from classic. (I think mark reardon was doing them some time ago?) i have the floorpan in mudguard sound deadener atm, was going to GMH black over chass and then a light clear coat, but thats when i finish cutting & welding to it
(66delux)
Ive lifted my body 32mm higher off the floorpan for better clearence over the quad cam motor with the kombi box cause i didnt want to cut the torson housing area. I had the alloy arms under the car when i was checking cam cover clearence inside the guards.
It looked like it was good with the shock towers but i know what you mean about the bolts. Ill do a little bit of looking on the weekend and see if i can find some, build some somehow and be legal?.. (Try).
Are you using the porsche booter with yours? Im looking at buying /mod'ing the 944 booster into the beetle (when i can save enough for one). and upgrade the big single caliper on front to the 4poters alloy unit for looks and might naturaly give a better byus to rear of car (since thats where the weight is)

Certainly am after a ball-joint IRS, however i already have the balljoint, so i will be after a IRS rear end and probably cut and shut it.

Have you any idea of what the law things of this?
Membertoey1984
Commited Dubber

posted on March 7th, 2012 at 10:20 AM

if i was you i would be buying a set of the centre caster brackets and welding them in by some one who has done them before, or some one with a jig as you dont want to get the geomertry out or the car will drive like crap. Its a much better option then finding a pan with irs and lobbing it out and all the effort to weld in to your current pan, an have it sitting perfect and know in your head that its strong and hasnot got a slightest twist. (i think beach buggy australia has a jig for that and will do it, 'or was that the front???' .cant remember)
i changed the front, but now because the pan is latter the regs of that year model take over ( i now have to have padded dash, slightly better co2...etc) but i was doing that stuff anyways.. ill keep my ears open or post a pic if them if i can find them!
THANKS 66deluxe will do!

Nathan

Go To Top