MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 05:34 PM
That's a Beetle, this is a Superbug

When it comes to Aussie 1970s Volkswagen Beetles alot of confusion exists about the different models available.
Most of the literature floating around for Volkswagen Beetles, particularly on the interwebz is based on European and North American vehicles where things were alot different to Aussie production.
Unless you are a fairly knowledgable VW enthusist or just grew up with them when they were new, to 99% of the general public a bug is a bug, they all look the same to the untrained eye.
Alot of people are unaware that there were 2 very different models sold from 1971 or they are just not sure which they have as there is alot of misinformation thrown about and they look very similar at first glance.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/1970-1997-volkswagen-beetle-5.jpg

This is not an indepth 100% accurate guide, just a quick run down which will hopefull give people a better idea of which Bug they are looking at.

Beginning in early 1971 Volkswagen released a new deluxe model beetle with the double jointed rear suspension commonly called IRS (even though all Beetles are technically IRS) first seen in 1968 Semi-automatic beetles and an all new redesigned McPherson strut front end as opposed to the traditional Torsion bar front end used since day dot.
More confusion is caused as they went by a variety of names in different countries.
In Europe they were known as 1302 (1971-1972) and 1303 (1973 onwards), In North America they were simply known as a Super Beetle and in Australia they were known as a Superbug.
The 1971-1972 1302 with the flat windscreen and dash being a Superbug S and the 1973-1975 1303 with the larger curved windscreen being known as a Superbug L, over time Aussie slang has dubbed them Sbug and Lbug.
Our market was too small in the 70s to produce an Australian owners manual so the LHD European 1302 and 1303 ones were supplied instead so alot of newer owners have also taken to calling them 1302 and 1303 not knowing.

At the same time the Superbug was offered, the standard Beetle everyone was used to was still also available.
It was still the same 1500 Beetle that had been around since 1968 but to make it a cheaper "no frills" beetle the 1500 engine was swapped a smaller 1300 engine and the front disc brakes were swapped for drums and various trim removed like the chrome in the window rubbers, rear passenger ohshit straps and the door arm rests.

I notice it most on Ebay and various car classifieds, where the VWs being sold are mainly just daily drivers owned by people to whom bugs are just a mode of transport so they don't always know or care whether it's a Beetle or a Superbug they have which results in alot of Beetles being advertised as Superbugs and vice versa which can cause new owners many headaches come parts buying time.

Over the last 20 odd years I've heard all sorts of crazy comments from people.

It's got big round tail lights, it must be a Superbug
There's vents behind the side windows, it must be a Superbug
The chassis number starts with 111 or 112 same as a Beetle, it can't be a Superbug
The Windscreen is flat, it can't be a Superbug
The dash is a plastic padded one, it must be a Superbug
The engine is a 1600, it must be a Superbug.
It's got disc front brakes, it must be a Superbug.
The engine lid says Volkswagen S or L, it must be a Superbug.

You get the idea......

Some of those were true when the cars were new, but after 4 decades of parts swapping aren't always an accurate thing to go by.

A few weeks back I came across a bug advertised on ebay as a "1600 12 volt superbug" by a clueless owner who was adamant it was a Superbug as many passers by and mechanics had pointed out how much wider it was....
The car??
a 1962 6volt beetle with a 12 volt conversion and a Carrera kit :rolleyes:
Almost no Superbug parts were compatible with it, but a newbie to VWs isn't to know that.

From the rear Beetles and Superbugs appear the same aside from engine lid badging and even from the side, it's only at the front with the wider bonnet due to the strut front end (and larger curved windscreen on Lbugs) that the difference becomes more obvious.

The wider bonnet and bigger Lbug windscreen don't become real obvious to most people until you put a Beetle next to an Lbug:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/supervsstandardpic.jpg

Also in the boot will give a definitive answer.
ALL standard bugs with Torsion bar front end have a spare that sits upright like this:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/4347868.jpg

Where as ALL S and L Superbugs have a spare tyre that lays flat due to the front struts like this.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/1979.jpg

Aussie 1970-1975 1300 Standard Beetle.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/2012-04-2013-14-40.jpg

The 1970 onwards 1300 standard Beetle was just the existing 1500 Beetle sold from 1968 to 1970 with torsion bar front end and swing axle rear.
They were first released in March 1970 just prior to Superbugs being released in April 1971, but fitted with 4 wheel drum brakes and a 1300 single port engine.
This was replaced by the new twin port 1300 engine in 1971.

After that the 1300 Beetle remained basically untouched only gaining a few safety items at the same time as Superbugs did.
The new flow through cabin ventilation system with the inside rear window vents and outside crescent vents was introduced for 1971.
1971 only used plastic 1 piece vent surrounds which rapidly fell apart in the Aussie sun, so VW changed in 1972 to individual vent surrounds.
Many people mistake the external crescent vents to be associated with engine cooling but they are to vent the inside cabin air.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/Luchtinlaten.jpg

Highback seats, safety 4 spoke steering wheel, a bigger back window and reverse lights for 1972
And a padded Dashboard and the larger round elephants feet tail lights for 1973.
The badge on the engine lid always read VW1300.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/4/7973919_9da4961967_z.jpg

A few minor cosmetic changes were the 2 vent engine lid replaced by 4 vent and wiper switch moved to a new column stalk type in 72
the front bonnet badge, chrome crescent vent surrounds and cable operated fuel flap were all dropped in 73.
And the 3 point runner seats fitted to the very last 1300s in late 74.

1976 1600 Beetle.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/VW1976.jpg

Ok this one is an Aussie only oddball and one of the most commonly wrongly labelled bugs.
As Beetle production was winding up to finish in 1976 the factory created a mix and match beetle using the remaining standard 1300 Beetle bodies with a few updates and fitted with left over Superbug 1600 engines, gearboxes, IRS and disc front brakes.
Alot of people mistake these as Superbugs due to the disc brakes, 1600 engine and IRS, but they were in fact a standard Beetle due to still having the old Torsion bar front end.
A few other changes were the front indicators moved down to the bumper and a charcoal canister and dash fresh air fan fitted.
the fuel injection style buldged rear valance was also fitted.

There was also a thermostatically operated ventilation flap on the engine lid under the number plate light housing

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/391386.jpg

They were sometimes known as the badgeless bug as there was no engine lid badge fitted and no hood badge, only the VW emblems in the hubcaps.

1971-1972 1600 Superbug S

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/1302b.jpg

The first generation of Superbugs can be a bit harder to distinguish from a standard beetle as they still have the same flat windscreen and same old metal dash, so it's only the wider bonnet that gives them away and the bottom of the front guards and valance curl under the car.
Looking under the front guards behind the tyres will also reveal the coil spring struts.
Whilst in Europe they were available with 1200, 1300 and 1600 engines and disc or drum brakes, in Australia there was only the 1600 twinport with the new offset "doghouse" oil cooler and the double jointed axle "IRS" rear end and Front Brakes were only discs
Various trim like window rubber chrome, door arm rests and rear seat ohshit straps fitted and the same flow through cabin ventilation as Beetles.
They were also available with the 3 speed semi-automatic gearbox.
The only obvious visual changes to Sbugs were in 1972 the 4 vent engine lid, larger back window, reverse lights, highback seats, 4 spoke steering wheel and the column mounted wiper switch.
The engine lid badge always read Volkswagen S, except on the automatics which had VWautomatic.

ADR 21 came into effect in January 1973 just as Superbug S were finishing up so it's very rare to see but the last batch were made with the padded dashboard same as the 1300 Beetle.

1973-1975 1600 Superbug L

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/1973-VW-1303-S-Kaefer-Volkswagen-Beetle.jpg

The 2nd generation Superbugs came about due to a proposed American Legislation which never came to fruition dictating that the distance from the windscreen to the front passengers heads had to be a bigger than what Beetles had.
So VW created the Lbug with the 42% larger curved windscreen moved further forward away from the front occupants and a deeper more padded dash for increased passenger safety.
These are the most distinguishing features of the Superbug L.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/75_jeans_super_japan2.jpg

Running gear was carried over from the Sbug, in 74 the front struts were redesigned with the new 2 bolt negative scrub radius and in 1975 the worm and roller steering box was dropped for Rack and Pinion steering.
Visually Lbug did not change except for 1975 the front indicators moved to the bumper, the bonnet around the handle was more squared off, the fuel injection style buldged rear valance was introduced and the thermostatically operated ventilation flap on the engine lid under the number plate light housing .
The engine lid was always Volkswagen L, even most semi automatic Lbugs seem to carry the same badge although the semi-auto option was also dropped in 1974

1975 Superbug L with bumper mounted indicators and reshaped square cut bonnet:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Superbug%20guide/VW.jpg

One other seldom known fact is Lbugs are the only model after 1957 that have a different rear vent pattern below the rear window
This is important to know if your are purchasing an aluminium vent trim as Lbugs have 42 Slots, all other bugs after ovals have 50 slots.
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 05:48 PM

Joel, you are a nerd!
Nice work professor! Mitchell

23 windows ...8 too many!
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 06:08 PM

:dork:

I just keep getting frustrated when people try selling the cars to people who don't know what it is.

I used to get sick of " yeah, that superbug mastercylinder you sold me doesn't fit....
What year superbug?
ummmm 1966 I think.... :rolleyes:
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 06:12 PM

nice article will have to read it when i get time

pity its about strut cars lol::lol::lol: wheres Carter and his farm plough at Wakefield

MemberPaulc1964au
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 59

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 06:32 PM

Excellent article

Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 09:44 PM

Thanks for that definitive bug vs super article Joel. Nice to get it al sorted out.

Just a question. Do the front bumpers off a 75 super fit a 76 standard or are the fronts slightly different?
Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 09:55 PM

ooooh fat chicks
prepare for flying dummy's :lol:
interesting non the less, thanks Joel :tu:

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Thanks all.

Cam, the original German bumper are interchangable, the one on mine is actually off a 76 standard beetle.

All the German front bumpers from 71 have both superbug and beetle mounting holes on them.
Some of the cheap repoop ones don't though.
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Thanks for the clarification Joel. You are truly a wealth of knowledge.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Thanks all.

Cam, the original German bumper are interchangable, the one on mine is actually off a 76 standard beetle.

All the German front bumpers from 71 have both superbug and beetle mounting holes on them.
Some of the cheap repoop ones don't though.

Hi Joel;

Well I have a Superbug front bumper on My 68 beetle... lol

and it took Me many years to tell the difference between a superbug and a Non super...
and I even owned a superbug in the 70s.. lol

but I can now tell by the bonnet and the front valance curve

I don't think many people would know about that little opening vent under the number plate, and did it really make any difference..?? didn't know about the vertical vents either..

cheers

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberUber Kafer
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 50

Mood: Need a bigger shed..

posted on June 4th, 2012 at 02:01 PM

Well done Joel, and a much needed resource that will become a well used I'm sure. I never knew about the thermostat controlled vent under the number plate, something to look for in future.

A wee correction needed, right near the end: "One other seldom known fact is Lbugs are the only model after 1957 that have a different rear vent pattern below the rear window".... should be 1975 I expect.

cheers.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on June 4th, 2012 at 04:24 PM

Cheers, I;ve added a pic of the thermostatically operated flap into the 76 Beetle section, it's the same animal that's fitted to 75 LBugs.

1957 was what I meant although I should probably say 1958.
The intake vent below the rear window on big windows bugs after ovals finished in late 57 never changed except on Lbugs.

If it's pointed out to you with 2 side by side it's noticable but the only way most people pick it is trying to fit an Lbug vent trim to a flat windscreen bug:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/474968.jpg
Member68AutoBug
Aircooled Master

info.gif posted on June 4th, 2012 at 04:35 PM

Hi Joel

the front bumper of supers is like a large curve bit similar to a rear bumper but the Non Super front bumper is nearly straight in the middle..

with the bonnet up..
I can stand between the body and the super bumper...

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on June 4th, 2012 at 04:40 PM

The reproduction bumpers are a different shape, particular the mexican ones but the original German 71-76 Bumpers are all identical between Superbugs and standards.
VW tried to keep as many parts the same between them as possible, front and rear bumpers being one of them.
I've actually had more standard beetle bumpers on the front of mine than Superbug ones.
There is 2 sets of mounting bracket holes, one for superbugs and the others for standards.

It's the different shape of the apron/valance that makes the gap look different.
MemberBob down
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 31

posted on June 4th, 2012 at 05:41 PM

i personally prefer earlier beetles, but this was a very interesting read. thanks for taking the time to put this together joel it is very informative.
MemberMarilyn71
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 26

posted on June 12th, 2012 at 07:16 AM

Amazing research and detail Joel. I'll have to look at my girl with a bit more detail. But better than wiki. this stuff.
Memberdubster
A.k.a.: Zane Williams
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 33

posted on June 12th, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Awesome research Joel.
MemberBorisBug
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on June 15th, 2012 at 07:48 PM

THANKS for this Joel This has helped me immensely and i have no idea on bugs or what one I had. I always side to people that i think mine is and L seres now I know its a standard L seres bug thank you and I am loving learning about these cars. I can start buying parts with a little more confidence
Memberbnicho
A.k.a.: Brett Nicholson
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 55

Mood: Usually Cranky!

posted on June 15th, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Top stuff. Well done.

I'm getting sick of explaining to people why I wanted a Superbug and what the differences are, now I can just point them here. :)

I bought a 1974 sales brochure on eBay last week and it has the specs for the 1300 and Super. I was surprised to learn a 1300 is capabel of 30mpg and my L only 26mpg. That's about what I was getting but I expected a bit better!

Cheers,
Brett.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
1974 VW Superbug L - Olive :cool:
1971 Morris Mini Moke - Mopoke
1966 Austin Mini - Audrey
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Memberlighthorse
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on August 16th, 2012 at 10:06 PM

cheers Joel

for us looking to buy and ending up traveling miles to look at the wrong models
it is greatly needed info

Cheers
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on August 17th, 2012 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bnicho I was surprised to learn a 1300 is capabel of 30mpg and my L only 26mpg. That's about what I was getting but I expected a bit better!

Hi

I get a little better than that (26 mpg = 10.86 L/100) with my sons 74 bug with a 1904 cc motor, it gets 9.5 around town and 7.8 on the highway.

Steve

PS, I think we should have a VWiki for post like this. The R31 Skyline clubs has a very good wiki section http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com 
Member68AutoBug
Aircooled Master

posted on August 17th, 2012 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bnicho
Top stuff. Well done.

I'm getting sick of explaining to people why I wanted a Superbug and what the differences are, now I can just point them here. :)

I bought a 1974 sales brochure on eBay last week and it has the specs for the 1300 and Super. I was surprised to learn a 1300 is capabel of 30mpg and my L only 26mpg. That's about what I was getting but I expected a bit better!

Cheers,
Brett.

was that an Australian sales brochure??
as USA gallon is smaller than Our Gallon... [true]

LEE

Memberbnicho
A.k.a.: Brett Nicholson
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 55

Mood: Usually Cranky!

posted on August 17th, 2012 at 09:24 PM

Yes, it was an Australian brochure.

Cheers,
Brett.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
1974 VW Superbug L - Olive :cool:
1971 Morris Mini Moke - Mopoke
1966 Austin Mini - Audrey
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 18th, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Here's another example of why I wrote this up....

Yeah gday looking for a hood for me beetle i just bought..
seller tells me its one of dem 60s volswagon supper bettles
Think its got a Porch engine too :crazy:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/930408.jpg
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on August 18th, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Needs teeth and eyebrows......

I have a new-to-me '73 Superdooper sitting beside the house now, picked it up 2 weeks ago. Poor old thing, little dimple-dents everywhere, added to the white paint it reminds me of a golf ball!
I take it if I want glass guards I need the SB specific, coz the bolt-on-pattern and shape where they meet the body is different? Are the glass guards available still?
What about the floorpans, are they the same as post-68/up-to-78/etc? Were pop-out rear windows available for these things too?

If I can stop my 3yr old from talking and hugging the damn thing all day:love: I might actually be able to crawl around it a bit more myself!
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 20th, 2012 at 07:16 PM

A few places still sell wide fibreglass gaurds.
John Sherman at Volksconversions had new ones sitting in his workshop when I was there last.
The rear guards are all the same pattern, but fronts you need Superbug S or L ones.

Floor pans are the same but you have to get the right seat tracks and Aus models are different to overseas.
Our 71-74 are all the same but o/s changed in 73.

Pop out kits are around, you can get originals and refurbish them or there are repoop kits but dunno what the quality is like.
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on August 27th, 2012 at 06:12 AM

Gday Joel, thanks for the info. Can I ask a quick clarification question please?
If I went looking for floor pans locally, then ask for 71-74, and it's all the same as my '73 Sooooper, but if enquiring O/S there pans changed in '73 and the seat rails are different? So assuming my seat rails are good and can be transferred across, I'd need pans from 71-73 from O/S to fit?
Are there any major differences in the pans, either locally or O/S, other than the seat rails? All the bolt holes, width, etc the same apart from that?
Thanks for the help man.
Regards,
Dave
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 27th, 2012 at 09:49 PM

You'd need 71-72 T rail pans from overseas, they are what was used in aus from 71 to late 74

Aussie Supers after 11/74 have the newer 3 point runners but overseas got them in late 72

Just check which kind you have.
All the mounting holes are the same yes.
Memberrcarnold1957
Learner Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on September 1st, 2012 at 09:14 AM

Thanks Joel, great reading.
Membergrigio3
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

posted on September 8th, 2012 at 10:21 AM