Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3362 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 97320 ]
Author: Subject:  Now have tubes in tyre, any new offroad driving does and don't's?
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

question.gif posted on June 8th, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Now have tubes in tyre, any new offroad driving does and don't's?

Yay! Finally got tubes installed on the front tyres after being haunted with a slow leak that would leave me contantly inflating and worrying.

Now... I did have Jeff Hibbards buggy book but it got too well used and fell to bits. I do remember driving tips for tubes being in there but i couldn't recall em'. Now that its relevant would you lads have any recommendations on minimum pressure for sand driving and do's / don'ts when it comes to running wild with tubes fitted?

All help greatly appreciated!
That puncture repair kit is now obsolete, time to pick up some patches :tu: And lets hope i don't get the fun of trying to pry off the tyre to repair a flat too soon.

Chris :)

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on June 8th, 2012 at 05:57 PM

when the weather is warmer sounds like an arvo of mud n bush tracks up this neck of the woods chris ;)

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 8th, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Hi Chris
I wouldn't have tubed tyres on a car..
and have seen the tubes go off like a gun straight out the the side of the tyre... and the tyre goes flat immediatelly
as the tube has a large hole in it...
Rem,ember that a small nail going into a tubeless tyre does very little damage and can be repaired or can have some of that fix a leax stuff to fix the tyre...

small nail punches a tube, it can go off like a balloon leaving it blown to bits...

I would stick to tubeless tyres with the tyre inflater put into the tyre,,,

Of course if tyres are coming off their rims then maybe tubes would need to be used...
cheers

LEE

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
Yay! Finally got tubes installed on the front tyres after being haunted with a slow leak that would leave me contantly inflating and worrying.

Now... I did have Jeff Hibbards buggy book but it got too well used and fell to bits. I do remember driving tips for tubes being in there but i couldn't recall em'. Now that its relevant would you lads have any recommendations on minimum pressure for sand driving and do's / don'ts when it comes to running wild with tubes fitted?

All help greatly appreciated!
That puncture repair kit is now obsolete, time to pick up some patches :tu: And lets hope i don't get the fun of trying to pry off the tyre to repair a flat too soon.

Chris :)

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 10th, 2012 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by h
when the weather is warmer sounds like an arvo of mud n bush tracks up this neck of the woods chris ;)

Would be an honor Paul :tu:!
You'd have to show me around :D.

Yea its always a worry Lee. Couldn't afford to have the rims sealed, but on the bright side if i hit a sharp shallow rock and it punctures the tyre, as long as it doesn't hit the tube i'm okay.

Got the spare tucked in the front ready to go. :tu:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Membershaned
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 14

posted on June 26th, 2012 at 07:09 PM

If it is your rim leaking you just paint the inside of the rim I had a rim that was repaired that leaked and had to paint the inner they do that on race rims as they are so thin they leak if not painted inside
Memberpod
A.k.a.: paul mrvw061
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
i`ve got to finish this thing one day

Threads: 145

Mood: could be better

posted on June 26th, 2012 at 09:32 PM

most tyre places have some black stuff they can seal the bead with if thats where they are leaking from,had to use it on my sons commy as the chrome on his mags was peeling,so a bit of paint then bead sealer ,not gone flat since :-)

meetings 1st sunday of the month
check wbsite for location
All Welcome
http://www.flatfour.org/ 
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FlatFour 
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 27th, 2012 at 08:59 AM

Thanks guys. The rims are two piece, that is a steel outter with an alloy centre. The alloy centre is allen keyed into the steel outter but it so tight i'd need a blow torch to unlock it up.

the leak was one one rim, at the joint where the alloy spoke meets the steel rim. But its ok, i'm happy to run with tubes for the moment.

he bloke at bridgestone Loganholme said he had a mate that could repair the rims to stop them leaking. It was something expensive, like $200 a rim that left me pretty disheartened. Mind you this is the mob that wanted to charge $35 for tube fitting and balancing, only to tell me the next day that he rekons it was unsafe to put a tube in but couldn't give me an excuse. Then went on to sell his friends services lol. So went to good old bob jane at Beenleigh (where i should have went first) and it was $25 a wheel with no problems at all. There shouldn't be any safety concerns anyways because i been running the same rim (only different size) with tubes on the back 31x10's since day dot of baja rego, and its seen quite a few kms. (coffs trips, kempsey, warwick, noosa, straddie, toowoomba etc.)

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 27th, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Hi Chris
You may not have any problems at all and it probably wouldn't take much to seal that leak in the rim
I haven't heard of that happening before but it probably does
same as normal steel or alloy wheels can leak..
most cars I've had have had at least one tyre that always went down slowly and needed pumping up every week
although all cars should have their tyre pressure checked every week or two at the most anyway..

If You get a puncture when running low pressure, You should be able to pump it up with a 12 volt high pressure pump
I bought one on ebay cheap... they are usually called 4wd pumps. and I see twin cylinder ones about too.

If You are lucky You may never have any problems...

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membershaned
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 14

posted on July 1st, 2012 at 10:17 AM

so it leaks on the joint . $200 to fix wat a rip all it needs is a bead of silicone around the join on the inside should always be done on 2 piece rims 2 minutes work

Go To Top