Author: Subject:  Speaker install help brisvegas
MemberClockworkMonkey
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 29

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Speaker install help brisvegas

Hey all.
Finally got all the components i need for the stereo but i have a new problem..... fitting them in.

Anyone in brisbane know of someone or can make a shelf and sub enclosure? i can't fit the standard type rear speaker shelf because i have baby seat mounts in the back. I've seen a few photos of ppls installs but can't remember who exactly to pm.

I have a pair of 6 x 9s that i want fitted on to the shelf and i have a 12" sub. the box that i have the sub in at the moment won't fit into the little space at the back so ideally the sub enclosure that would be made would have the parcel shelf sitting on it with the 6 x 9's giving enough clearence to have the seatbelt / strap of the baby seat sitting without resting on speakers. the amp i have is pretty massive so i was planning on mounting it under the driver's seat

wiring up the thing is not a problem, but building the box / shelf is a bit beyond me. i suppose MDF is the best thing to make it out of? then maybe cover that with some sort of black fabric / carpet so it all looks tidy?

i'm also looking for those front speaker mounts that allow you to put speakers in the dirver's and passenger's footwell if anyone knows where to get them.

your help is appreciated!

Farhan
Super AdministratorMISS VDUB
A.k.a.: Ash
Super Administrator
Mrs KOMBIBOB

Rank Avatar

Threads: 96

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Low down and Dirty

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 01:41 AM

Poor baby is going to get heart palpitations!

Check out Classic Vee Dub:
https://www.classicveedub.com.au/cvd_new/part_search.aspx?item_code=1 

1963 Single Cab Ute: "El Concreto"
1962 Baja Beetle: "Peanut"
1968 Porsche 912 SWB: "Pip"
1972 Kombi Snail: "The Snail"
2012 Skoda Octavia Scout: "Scout"
2016 Scirocco R: "Rocco"
MemberClockworkMonkey
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 09:31 AM

thanks Miss! i see my wife hiding the credit card out of the corner of my eye :)
Membermikew
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 12:58 PM

If you were near the sunny coast I could help I have a 10" beetle sub box sitting here but no 12"

What year is your beetle? As the fronts are slightly different I think, got a set of fibreglass front pods here from my beetle but I need to ask a friend if he's intersted first.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r398/mikewills_2008/100_3099-1.jpghttp://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r398/mikewills_2008/100_3241-2.jpghttp://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r398/mikewills_2008/DSCF1845.jpg
MemberMr Muppet
Commited Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 08:45 PM

Hey dude,

Iv'e just installed a similar set-up so here is some info.

Starting at the front, I bought my speaker kick panels from John Sherman(Volks Conversions) at a swap meet, but you can get them at Vollks.com.au or Mick Motors might have them. They are quite thin plastic so I beefed mine up with 16mm MDF partly because of I needed more depth and to stiffen them up. I also stuck some Dynamat behind ,you don't need much.
As for the Parcel shelf I used a cardboard box for some patterns and scribed it around the rear then used 16mm MDF, marked out the pattern, then it was trial and error .
For the sub box, you need to get the tech info on the sub, it will give you the optimum internal volume for ported or non-ported box. For ported you need a larger volume than sealed or non-ported and you just don't have the room in a beetle. So I did the calculations and attached the sub-box the the underside of the parcel shelf, sealing it airtight with Sikaflex. You should be able fit the 6x9's either side of the sub box with the sub pointing out forward into the rear seat. I also mounted my amp under the rear passenger seat so the power cable is close to the battery and it's less likely to get crap in it ( being a Baja). Anyway here are some pics to look at.
Michael

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
MemberClockworkMonkey
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on July 22nd, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Muppet mate that's exactly what i'm looking for!!! ... can you fit your back seat in though?.. getting the child restraint points in was a bitch so i'm not going to take them and the carpet out.. just need to work around it. i wouldn't need the front to extend all the way accross the car like you have because the seat would be hiding it

very nice install!!
MemberMr Muppet
Commited Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on July 23rd, 2012 at 02:35 PM

Hey dude,

I made the face of the box to slope on the same angle as the back of the rear seat. I did it all on the fly with a jigsaw and planer and a 6 pack of JD cans. The box doesn't interfere with the seat or seatbelt mounts. It may sound easy but I am a Shopfitter so I do this stuff everyday. What year model do you have?
MemberClockworkMonkey
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on July 23rd, 2012 at 09:39 PM

Hahaha I'd be lucky to survive with all my fingers intact if I attempted something like that. And for sure it wouldn't look that good. I have a '69 1500sp

Go To Top