The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 8th, 2012 at 10:07 AM
touch up

g'day

Dont have mush to do in this area - but tell me if this is answered else where

Fow what it is worth - my car isnt a show car and lives outside 24/7. It has been retired from daily driven and I drive it Fridays to work and on week ends.

I had it resprayed a couple of years ago.
It was a blow over - but I was more than happy with the results.
It was done in 2 pac. The cut out rust in the A pillar folds, C pillars, rain channels and round the bonnet.

A couple of bubbles have popped up in the rain channels in the folds
I have ground them out and put some rust kill

When they sprayed, they gave me 2L of paint to take. The idea was when the rust blew up I could get it resprayed and match the paint.

Anyway - I have touched up with this paint and it is a different colour.
They said they hadnt put any hardener in it.
Should touch up with a brush match "exactly" or is it ok to be slightly different??

I was expecting in a year or 2 I would need to get the roof done again and was hoping the paint would all match??

It is martini olive and is a bitch to try and match at the best of times - hence why I got the extra paint.

Just concerned that the paint they gave me was an after thought and not part of the original mix

Futue te ipsum!!!
Memberyarrum
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Mood: temperamental

posted on September 8th, 2012 at 07:58 PM

When apply it by brush,try touching up the repair area only to start with,then litely brush into the surrounding paint.Applying to much paint into surronding paint will make it look a different colour.If you get a ridge line within your touch up it will also become a different colour.Make sure you have stirred the paint well.As if is been sitting around for years it will have seperated within the can.Touch up with a brush is more likely to be a different colour and it normally will be a darker colour.Martini olive will be a darker green. Hardener shouldn,t make any difference,but I like to use it as it make the paint set better will I am touching up. I normally apply two or three coats on with a brush applying little on in each application. Do not play with your touch up once you have applied it.As it should flow and level it self out as it dries.If it doesn,t it is probably to hot and small amount thinners is needed.If you play with it you are more likely to pull up the paint in which you have just applied.
The colour will more likely be the right colour when you spraying it out .As thats how the original colour was applied not by brush.Do try spraying it on another piece before applying it to you car to really make sure throw .Hope I haven,t confussed you to much.Practice makes perfect.Trial and error.better you will become,basically. Hope this helps best of luck.
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on September 8th, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Dunno if this helps, but colour on the paint i have used tends to need 'settling' it seems. Sounds strange and i'm no expert, but the fresh red of guards from the exact same batch took time before it became the same kind of red on the body. Same goes for my brothers yellow car.

Maybe try a spot, give it time and see if it fades into the same colour, eg... under bonnet, inside decklid etc.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on September 9th, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Could sun fading be an issue?
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on September 11th, 2012 at 01:42 PM

if its 2 pak, its a cure that is a chemical reaction that happen as a inverses exponential curve. so most of the curing is done very quickly and slows right down but "theoretically" never actually fully cures, So the assumption is after some months, years even the paint is still slightly curing and the colour may also change through this process. single component paint can do this too but I guess over a shorter period of time and it would be due to solvent evaporation.

UV fading is another consideration to take into account.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE

Go To Top