[ Total Views: 1244 | Total Replies: 5 | Thread Id: 99053 ]
Author: Subject:  New Kombi owner - advice sought
Memberpfillery
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 04:39 PM
New Kombi owner - advice sought

Just picked up my first Kombi nearly 18 years after I sold my last one. It will be my daily drive and a running restoration. People are already saying how cool I am to have a Kombi. I even feel cooler now! It is a 73 with 4 speed and 1600 TP motor.

Couple of questions.

Is there a recommended service or workshop manual that is better than others out there? Do I go with a printed copy like a Haynes or are the digital copies on CD available on ebay any good? I want to do as much as I can myself since that's half the fun! Are there any free downloadable ones around online? (used to have one for my landrover like this, full original service manual)

Who are some recommended places to buy bits and pieces from? I need a few little internals like sliding door handle but also a couple of things like blank interior card sets so I can retrim inside.

I also have a vehicle that has rear seats but is only registered as a 2 seater on the compliance plate. So I will need to get it certified for rear seats in Qld. At the same time (to save costs and get 2 mods on one inspection) I thought about replacing the low backed front seats with something better as they are a bit dirty - can anyone recommend what will fit in there with minimal modification, is there something from another vehicle (like a holden or toyota) that others have used, considering the seat mounting is pretty simple it wouldn't take much work to do it but a little advice on what others have used would be helpful.

And finally (for now), what is the logic as to why a windowed van with deluxe interior (trimmed on the panels behind the front seats) would only have 2 seat compliance? It's a bay but not a camper so it seems odd. Any thoughts?
Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 95

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Rollin with The Dub Collective

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 04:57 PM

Welcome to AVD.
Most buses in their past life had the back seats taken out and and a bed tossed in the back so over time and change of hands people just kept them rego as a 2 seater. Just be mindful when changing your front seats to another type make sure they are not too high (base) can be a pain if your quite tall yourself.
If you can get your hands on a copy of "How to keep your volkswagen alive" is a good book to have.
This site is sponsored by some of the best parts dudes in the buisness so just check them out.

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
65 11 wnd Split "The Cross".
6? coming very soon!!!!
Memberpfillery
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 160

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 05:09 PM

I checked out one site (justkampers I think) and they look pretty good, have heard the bus stop is also good.

Isn't the how to keep your VW alive more targeted to beetles?

Another quick question - I see a lot of bays with wheels that look like they are off mid to late 90's ford falcons, are these a direct fit onto a kombi and do they work? I know they aren't original but just looking at options. Have to decide between going original or sligtly personalised, as the vehicle has extra stuff fitted on the dash I think original-ish with some mods might be the go, I'm certainly not planning to go concourse restoration with all original parts. Tasteful and fitting yet to suit me I think.
Memberyarrum
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Mood: temperamental

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 05:17 PM

Volkswagen Service Manuals.Published by BENTLEY are one of the better books to have for working on your cars.
Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 95

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Rollin with The Dub Collective

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 05:18 PM

I think you may have to drill out falcon rims PCD to fit? Some Merc & Audi rims will fit but can be hard to find and not cheap. Most sponsors will have a stock of rims that will fit. Are you plan on lowering it down the track?
If your running a 1600 donk then this book will help for sure motor wise.

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
65 11 wnd Split "The Cross".
6? coming very soon!!!!
Memberpolarbus93
Seriously Crusin Dubber
just cruisin slowly

Threads: 21

Mood: fat and happy mostly

posted on October 4th, 2012 at 10:27 PM

i to have a windowed panel van with compliance of 2 seater . there is also a how to keep your bus alive and it has been up to 5 or 6 in the series its done by volksworld publications i believe but one of them is no longer available , im trying to track them down also .good luck with your van and enjoy the time

Go To Top