Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 5625 | Total Replies: 32 | Thread Id: 104436 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  VW Beetles in Mobilgas Rally (50's)
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 02:35 PM
VW Beetles in Mobilgas Rally (50's)

In my job working in Community Welfare and Aged Care you meet some people who have interesting stories. One day I used the Beetle to do the rounds, a lady I visit was very interested in the car, and told me her story of how she and a another lady took a VW Beetle in the Mobilgas Rally. I have been trusted with a bunch of photos which I will try to post over time.
Thought I would get started with this one; note ciggy while refuelling :) , and 2 dials in the dash.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/b2ccee9d-d2ce-48cf-ac7d-c8ac67a7cbb1.jpg
Rob.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 03:06 PM

Apparently they did it more than once.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/599f7b32-3103-4537-86bc-5c15353109d3.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/a63e2d36-1917-4e83-a2c1-06577c3282e0.jpg

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberCamo
A.k.a.: Kev
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 209

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 05:25 PM

Love these good old photos. Must be around 58-60 model.

Thanks, Kev

I thought rebuilding a VW would be cheap - Shit I was wrong, just don't let the wife know !!!!

Click here for my (slowy) modded 1961 Beetle build.
MemberPumba
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 255

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 05:31 PM

Its a oval.:smilegrin:

69 Beetle
66 Beetle
56 Beetle
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Glad you like them. I will post some more as soon as I'm able.
Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Membervassy66T1
A.k.a.: Marcus Vass
Veteran Volks Folk
Wow ... are U reading this?

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Happy to own a VW

posted on December 19th, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Very cool :tu:

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/vassy66T1/SignatureAVDmod1small.jpg

MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on December 20th, 2013 at 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskoolguy
Glad you like them. I will post some more as soon as I'm able.
Rob.

Now that's something to look forward to.:tu:

Any chance of getting some 'first hand' anecdotes about the rallies, to go with these wonderful photos?

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
MemberKombi_Rescue
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Mood: DSK member

posted on December 20th, 2013 at 06:26 AM

lucky those photo's exist....guy filling the fuel tank up has a cig in his mouth........now that'a a story in itself !!!

http://www.frenzix.com/dsk/dskforumbanners/dskbannertemplatesteve.gif
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 20th, 2013 at 09:52 PM

Okay, here's some more. Two different years obviously! These aren't scanned, having trouble scanning them!
Re. any anecdotes, there is some things written here and there.

One thing I read was they had to average 592 Miles Per Day to complete the 8,700 Mile Round Australia trip on time.

I will try to post more when it isn't late and I'm not tired, sorry all.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/627d4b4b-f920-4e82-a239-a374ff87d563.jpg

As my wife said, "Go girl power!"
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/1a8e97f6-c79a-483f-884d-660230ca103a.jpg

Fitted with it's "Comet Windscreen Protector"
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/5ccbd417-6a7c-4050-b3db-af80b0c88efd.jpg

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberRobo
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 120

Mood: Oval madness

posted on December 23rd, 2013 at 07:01 AM

Awsome!
Thats the great thing about older people, they always have a great story in them you just have to be lucky enough to be around when something stirr's their memory. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Maybe you should ask them to talk to some VW people at a club night, it would be a shame if their story was not documented. Really someone should do an artical for them.

Boxer Power
Member of DMLRK.....Die Mittler Lebuns Resto Komeradschaft

http://home.iprimus.com.au/noh20/BYRONLOGO.gif
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 23rd, 2013 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robo
Awsome!
Thats the great thing about older people, they always have a great story in them you just have to be lucky enough to be around when something stirr's their memory. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Maybe you should ask them to talk to some VW people at a club night, it would be a shame if their story was not documented. Really someone should do an artical for them.

In every instance you are right mate!

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberRobo

posted on December 23rd, 2013 at 06:46 PM

Well we need to do someting about it. you need to talk to her about it and convince her that she should do it. I wish I lived closer I would dearly love to meet her my self. Alternatively 'you' could document it.
Its a story that needs to be documented. Once these people are gone its too late.

Boxer Power

Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Totally right Robo, I am trying to sort something out at the moment. I'm trying to organize a way that is not intrusive to the lady and her family, and is comfortable in relation to her age, medical issues, mobility and appointments etc.
She and her husband live at Raleigh btw.
Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberRobo

posted on December 24th, 2013 at 07:09 AM

Sounds like you have it well in hand.
I have been lucky many times over the years to have met people like this lady, mainly because I have spoken to and impressed upon people like this that their experiances are still of interest to future generations. I think that with age and the passing of time that they think it is of no interest to people anymore. This is far from the truth, people like myself have a genuine love and interest of the things they did, They are extraordinary people and their exploits and experiances should be recorded for those of us who want to see and hear it through their eyes (photo's) and story telling.
I spose I am a bit panicky about this, but too many times these stories and photo's just fade and disappear and they are lost.
Good luck with it all I sincerely hope you can do something.
Rob..
PS you can show her a copy of my post it may help.

Boxer Power

Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

posted on December 24th, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kombi_Rescue
lucky those photo's exist....guy filling the fuel tank up has a cig in his mouth........now that'a a story in itself !!!

Mindblowing !!

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on December 24th, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robo
PS you can show her a copy of my post it may help.

Will do, thanks.
Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on January 27th, 2014 at 11:13 AM

WOW! Cool photos, great story!
More, more, more please. :yes:
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on January 27th, 2014 at 06:11 PM

Working on it, believe me.
Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberVDU.88A

Threads: 81

posted on January 28th, 2014 at 05:07 PM

Awesome photos i email these to a mate of mine who is right into Mobil gas and Redex trials. I though he might have some info on them .

This is what he told me about the pics.

" These two girls were very keen and still have the record of being towed the furtherst distance after having engine trouble in the Northern Territory by a Chamberlain Tractor.
The first two pics are of the 1957 Mobilgas & The last three are the 1956 Mobilgas.
In the third Pic you will see behind the VW a Goliath which was driver by the famous Harry Firth and navigated by the equally famous engine designer Phil Irving.
The girls were Norma Harrison & Audrey Millgate in both Trials"

No doubt he will find some more of these pics in the next few day in his collection.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/vdu88a/avdb.jpg
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Story of Car 88, as reproduced from a document written by Audrey Millgate (who unfortunately has since passed away), with permission from Norma Harrison.
Before they set off, the cars were apparently packed with food - the door cards were removed and things like dried fruit, nuts and trail mix were put inside the doors to keep them going.
This is copied exactly as typewritten.
Enjoy.

SAGA OF CAR 88.
For the first time in the history of car trials in this age, the true and untarnished story will be told of that event of a lifetime - the 1957 Mobilgas Round Australia Rally!!!

Once upon a peaceful lifetime, someone had a terrible nightmare and out of that dream, the Round Australia Rally materialised. The first two entrants were former inmates of a mental institution - namely HARRISON, Norma, and MILLGATE, Audrey. Any resemblance between these two individuals and normal people is purely coincidental. They have a passion for cars, big cars, small cars, talk cars, dream cars, eat and sleep cars – thus they drew position 88 at the starting line in Melbourne on Wednesday, 21st August, 1957, time of departure 1.24 pm., in the 1957 Mobilgas Round Australia Rally!

The dream of participating after long months of hard and patient work had materialised arid the car was well prepared for 10,500 miles, hard and tough - just how hard and tough they realised 19 days and nights later.

The start was outside Melbourne Zoo - of all places - and crowded with people, the avenue gaily decorated with flags of all countries who had entered a vehicle, and tension and excitement ran high. Lex Davison had the pleasure of waving competitors out and finally came to Car 88, with yours truly, Audrey, at the wheel and Norma negotiating the paper work. A whispered word of condolence, from Lex, a swish of the flag and we were on our way.

The route out of Melbourne was a navigational hazard before we had really started – 0.1 miles turns left, .9 miles turn right, veer north east - but Norma carried out a first class job as navigator and we made our first control on time. Then came a cross country sprint to outlandish places situated all over Victoria, doubling back on our tracks, attempting to avoid sheep and cattle wandering across the road and keeping a very watchful eye on the clock. A short meal break at Mt. Gambier and off on our first horror stretch - mud, mud and more mud - a quick run off the road to avoid rolling over on a sharp bend and we were in a paddock. We could see headlights, bearing down behind us, so Norma leapt from the car, disentangled us from a wire fence and proceeded to direct me in a gentle voice - "Get that B**** y thing back on the road or we’ll be hit!” I obliged and we were on our way again seconds before the other vehicles ploughed in where we came out. This is the section where the majority of cars lost points through taking wrong turnings, but thanks to compass and good navigation, we came through on the right road. Points we lost were minutes taken to refuel, but we were not unduly worried - those holes in my eardrums were caused naturally, and not by fiery comments from my co-driver!

The road to Hamilton was blanketed in pea soup fog and the schedule was tight - the gods were with us that night and we were endowed with womanly intuition at the right moments. We made Hamilton on time but three cars met their fate on this run, including the American Customline entry. From Hamilton to Adelaide with Norma driving now - more fog and tight times - screaming into controls with seconds to spare - trampling down. women and children who were smaller than us, requesting the larger ones to move, but we made Adelaide on time. They told , us there are 365 curves in 16 miles coming down the mountains into Adelaide - I started to count them - 1-2-3-4-5-97-98-99 oh! let me lie down and die. Can anyone be this sick and live??

We met the VW Pilot cars at Lobethal and they guided us down to Control - heaven for me - and so to 10 hours sleep. Oh joy! Oh rapture! Sleep!! We tottered weakly into our sleeping bags, I set the alarm for 7am, and Norma, Lorraine Mason and self settled down into the arms of Morpheus. We awoke refreshed to the sound of the alarm some hours later, jumped out of the bags, under the shower, singing away tra-la-la…packed our things and down to breakfast. Stepping cautiously over unconscious bodies in the hall, we wandered outside to – STARLIGHT! My, the sun comes up late here … not a soul stirred, so we tip-toed over to Control tower and checked the time. 3 AM! I had set the alarm and not the time! Around about Perth, I recovered from that ear-bashing.

From Adelaide to Ceduna and a magnificent spread provided by the CWA! - home comforts - and more sleep. Checked out in pouring rain, wildly enthusiastic about the 798 miles run across the Nullabor, with mud feet deep and a picturesque countryside of mallee bushes. This run was the second most monotonous on the whole trip with pot-holes taking toll of shock absorbers. Down to Esperance - a meal in the cafe taking up two hours of our precious rest period, and then bunking down on to glorious floor boards in the local RSL Hall. The hall was divided into two sections, one for the men, the other for women - not LADIES - ladies do not enter into car trials, so we crept in, settled out sleeping bags and proceeded to discard our slacks. Norma was faster than I and was in her bag while I was only half-way clothed when we were inundated with male crews - the other portion was crowded! Needless to say, there were a few panic-stricken moments when I tried desperately to put two legs into one in the slacks - very unsuccessfully - and Lady Jane having hysterics did not help, but peace was restored when I wrapped-the sleeping bag around myself and tried to appear dignified. Later another crew came in, unaware that we were in the corner and proceeded to layout their gear, accompanied by weird noises, which later proved to be inflation of rubber mattresses. One of them was a little plump and prior to climbing into pyjamas, spent some lovely moments blissfully scratching himself from head to toe - the look of ecstasy on his face was a pleasure to behold. It changed to horror next morning, when bending over to put his trousers on, he spied our clothes draped over a chair. We tried to look like a couple of wooden floor-boards, but embarrassed silence reigned supreme for a few hours.

Esperance to Perth was all navigation, Norma once more doing a colossal job keeping us out of trouble. We had one odd spot - leaving Belladonia just on dusk and proceeding down an uninhabited road, flanked on either side by a forest of trees, we were completely startled to see a large red balloon drifting out of the sky and land in front of the car. As far as we could see, there was not a soul in sight and when we mentioned the incident later in Perth, the unsympathetic reply came - "How long since you two had any sleep???"

Bunbury received the Trials crews with typical W.A. hospitality, and we were presented with sprays of boronia. By the time we reached Perth, the cars were laden with gifts of fruit, flowers, scenic cards etc and it certainly lifted sagging spirits. At Perth, everyone was treated like royalty, and loving every moment of it we took full advantage of the spirit of the moment. Clothes were dry cleaned, mail and films etc despatched and every service possible was rendered to all crews. Norma and I were looked after by the Secretary of the W.A. Volkswagen Club with every luxury thrown in. Then a tour of that beautiful city of Perth and a welcome party at night by the Club… we loved it.

Reluctantly, we left on our next lap to Carnarvon and the most boring trip of the whole Trial. Kangaroos were supposed to be-plentiful, and to avoid any accidents, we had an average speed of 35 mph for 300 miles - everyone nearly expired from boredom - and we did not even hit a roo to break the monotony.

We had arranged accommodation in Carnarvon before leaving Sydney, but on arrival, our friend said the Lady Mayoress was attending to our needs - she had a three bedroomed brick cottage to put at our disposal, so we were very happy with this arrangement. UNTIL we saw the cottage - not a stick of furniture in it and a couple of miles away from the car! We had to call the telephone exchange next morning to find out where we were and arrange for a cab to collect us! We left Carnarvon with mixed feelings to cross the Pardoo Sands - miles and miles of sand and tracks running off in all directions. All we had to do was find the right one! But then disaster struck! - a blown oil cooler and a temperature outside of nearly 100 degrees under the sun, 280 miles from Broome and not a Volkswagen Agent before Darwin. We were really wrapped in the Trial by this stage - but rallied our shattered nerves and tempers enough to concentrate on the problem. I hitch-hiked into Broome to arrange a tow and-Norma performed the remarkable feat of dismantling the cooler while I was away – without dropping the engine out. This is a very difficult task as anyone who knows VW's will tell you, and then one of those seeming miracles occurred. The press car came along trailing the field, and carrying of all things, a Porsche cooler which Norman Hamilton was sending on to Darwin. Norma did not waste any time in reassembling the works and starting the motor, but to her bitter disappointment, the big end bearings had had it. However, it was not very long after this that I came along with a taxi tow from Broome and off we went again. The Austin A30 crew wanted to take the VW in, but of course, their car was too light for that work. However, we ploughed our way back through the dust and heat into Broome, several hours before Control closed. It was very disheartening to lose so much time because up to Carnarvon, we had only dropped 5 points.

We raced around the town trying to locate a Volkswagen owner who may be willing to assist us, but the place was devoid of VWs. Another tow 138 miles to Derby through mud then dust, and finally reached control with 2½ hours to spare, but not a chance of sleep before Darwin. We pushed the car over the Control line to keep everything fair and above board, had a lovely hot shower and some breakfast and hastily arranged for some running repairs to enable us to finish the Trial. A very obliging Chinese gentleman who possessed what must surely be the only VW engine in Northern Australia, brought it around to us and told us to take any parts we required. Twelve hours later, we handed him back his crankcase with a promise to replace all parts in Sydney - which we duly arranged and left him with our heartfelt thanks.

The Chamberlain Tractor boys waited for us in Derby to ensure that we were not the only car on the road between the "black stump" and Darwin, and believe me, it is the most comforting thought in the world to know you are not entirely alone in the vast wilderness and desolation of Australia's Northern Territory. They stayed with us most of the way until some injured crews required assistance - first aid we rendered, mobile aid they gave - then we proceeded on our hectic and dazed way to Top Springs. From Derby to Katherine, it is very hazy to me, we were both completely exhausted and I remember rounding one bend and being most annoyed because a tree was across the road. I was quite sure it was deliberate sabotage - as if we would be a threat to any competitor, twelve hours behind the field!! No one would convince me it was the bushfires! No sir! They did not want us to finish the Trial!! But we would show these N.T. gremlins! A little further on and some miles from the Top Springs control, I was very certain the control official had gone home because his overalls and beret were hanging from a tree. To me, this was his way of letting us know that Control was closed, so I pulled over to the side of the road and almost in tears, told Norma "Well, that's it. We are out of the Trial." Lady Jane roused herself from slumber and demanded to know what was wrong - I explained the situation and instead of condolences and thanks for my wonderful effort(??), I was blasted with "Get the car going you b****y idiot! That's an owl on a tree stump!! “I am still endeavouring to live that down.

Just before Katherine, we caught up with Major Warwick in his beautifully prepared Skoda. The road was beyond words - sand, rocks, gullies, trees, gullies, the road curving and circling round and round until we thought we were going around in the one area, but on one of the curves, the 'major went for his brakes in a hurry then found they were non-existent. He drove for the bushes, but unfortunately, there was a ten foot wash away right across his track - to our dismay, the car nose- dived straight down the hole, pushing the bonnet and engine right back in to the cabin on the Major and his co-driver. It took some time to extricate them without further damage, and it was a very slow drive to Katherine hospital because of the pain the rough road gave them - this was the cause of our disqualification, but we appealed and were later reinstated to finish the Trial. We feel that this type of official attitude to late arrivals will encourage drivers to leave injured crews and trust to Providence their accidents are not of a major type. However, after much discussion and arguments, we were still officially in the Trial.

Darwin, to us, then, was the most beautiful sight we had ever seen - it meant a bath, clean clothes and sleep – only 6 hours instead of the 30 allotted to us but better than nothing. We had friends in Darwin who really looked after us and when we left, we felt reasonably human again - if you doubt that we ever reached the zombi stage, we have evidence in a certain photo taken in Top Springs! That photographer was in danger of his life for some time after. The run to Mt. Isa was very monotonous because of average speeds - to everyone but us, that is. Round about Avon Downs we developed more trouble and for some paralysed moments, thought it was a piston - we had visions of happy homes breaking up, divorces pending – “But Judge, that was their excuse last year when they spent 5 days on Avon Downs with eleven bachelors.” However, it turned out later that the compression rings had been replaced ~ upside down in one piston, hence the oil. At this stage, another gallant Austin came along - A70 - and flatly refused to leave us, so one more on a 'tow rope and some 500miles into Mt. 'Isa. We -swapped- navigators for a change of company, each one listening to the other's tale of woe and swearing never to come with that driver again - this thing happened in every car but next year, they all team up again and go through the same routine. Mt. Isa and some lightning repairs were carried out by the V. W. mechanic, and we were on our way once more in company with the Austin A30. Between Mt. Isa and Rockhampton we had 11 punctures and do not want to see another flat tyre as long as we live! After Longreach, the little Austin developed bearing, crankshaft and other troubles - so for a change, we took it in tow. A side word - the A30 had a flat tyre and Norma and I held the car while the boys changed the wheel - any resemblance between the Austin and a pram is purely coincidental.

The Chamberlain caught us around Emerald and we bade the Austin drivers farewell and handed them over to the tractor. This section was one of the roughest on the route and here the Vanguard, with Harry Firth and Maurie Monk, came to grief. We met them at Longreach and two more disconsolate people one could not find - of course, they had very good reason to be miserable, having been the leaders until this point. Their car was an absolute wreck and they deserved a medal for finishing the course. When we met them and asked if there was anything we could do, Maurie replied, very dejectedly, "Yes, just tell us if we are out of the Trial on relative time." They were not, of course, and it gave them more heart to continue. One of the other leaders, David Calvet, in his Fregate, made an error in navigation and went many miles off the course - this made it very difficult to catch the field and it is a long way when you are in a hurry, so he and his navigator stayed where they were and had a holiday!

Through to Rockhampton and a never-ending succession of flats – at one stage, we were bitterly repairing three and pumping them up by hand, when along came a road grader with a compressor attached, so the job was over in a few minutes. Long live road Graders!

We had one hours rest at Rocky, bath and meal, some welding carried out where we had been minus a shock absorber from Longreach and on our way again. From Darwin to Brisbane we had 5 hours sleep and a few cat-naps in the car, so you can imagine the strain of keeping in the running. Rocky to Brisbane was good run with only a couple of shock absorber repairs so it was not quite too bad - we gained new hope at Brisbane because home seemed so close. At Taree, we burnt a valve out and could not keep up a continuous high speed - we were completely frustrated with a middle aged driver of a new Holden. The road curves all the way from Taree to Sydney and he almost stopped on each corner to negotiate the bend and then out-accelerated us up the hills. We lost time by the handful through the road courtesy of this gentleman, and I for one, spent the trip devising sadistic ways and means of gaining revenge. Unfortunately, the car was not a Ferrari and my middle name is not Fangio, so speed road tactics could not be employed.

Nearly to Sydney and then into a deluge - and us with not one side window between us! What a welcome… we finally crawled into our little cots wet through, every symptom of pneumonia but with a wonderful thought only… only more day of this misery and it was all over. Little did we know the 24 hours would extend into 36 hours over a nightmare trip dreamed up by a sadist with a hangover! Leaving Sydney _and dynamic Bob Dyer - who does not know one driver from another apparently – we headed for Goulburn via Oberon. Fog and mud, mud and fog - and Norma with a terrific craving for chicken! We stopped eventually and bought one, but she had worried for a while - craving for this, craving for that….. The roads were being made and as slippery as ice - the car drifted all over the road, and quite a number of times, edges came dangerously close. Several drivers met their match in this section and went off the road, as we did - Bob Foreman, one of Australia's outstanding drivers, rolled his car twice, Car 21, a V.W. rolled several times and the drivers had to climb out the windows at the Melbourne finish. Laurie Whitehead was so tense and exhausted, he had difficulty in holding a cup of coffee at the Wee Jasper Control.

We were travelling with a Ford Customline and they were about one mile behind us when their lights disappeared. There had been two creek crossings to negotiate and then several hair pin bends and they told us later their brakes faded when they needed them most. The car came to rest with the front suspended over a terrific cliff drop and they were too scared to move in case the movement sent the car over the cliff. This sort of thing keeps life interesting. When we slipped off the road, the lights were forced back on to the wheels and they had to be removed to allow the wheels to turn. It was quite a job but I did not have any idea that there were so many parts on a car with doubtful heritage. Everything that did not come off easily had it's ancestry queried until I felt we were travelling in a den of iniquity! After this, we had to depend on a hand operated spotlight which Norma held while I drove, but the light kept disappearing into the tree tops because Lady Jane periodically drifted off into slumberland. However, the Ford came to our rescue and saved my co-driver from being systematically clubbed to death – we used their headlights until we could purchase a new lamp in Albury. By this time, we had only one thought and that was to finish the Trial under any circumstances - time was little our way, as the last Control was open for 24 hours after the first car arrived so we made it. Control officials between Sydney and Melbourne were very interested in our progress and at each control; which was frequently a residence of some description, we were plied with tea. coffee, scones, cakes etc, anything to keep us talking. Tape recorders appeared from nowhere, cameras flashed and we were loving every minute of it. The welcome given us in the last stages of the Rally at each control was good for the morale, and it was due in lots of ways to these good people that we finished the Trial.

Melbourne was heaven to see after 10,500 miles of dust, fog, rain, and everything else the gods had to offer. Taken all round, it was a terrific trip and one that should be experienced at least once in a lifetime. We could be coaxed to go again, but not at our own expense - we will be paying this one off for months at all sorts of odd jobs. But any time you want to hear about the Rally, we may be found at the Prince Edward, evening session - "Peanuts! Lollies! Chocks! "

Cheers…
Audrey Millgate.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 01:13 PM

That is absolutely priceless :!::tu::tu::tu::tu: What a great find....and it could have easily been lost forever. Well done. :tu:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 09:31 PM

Car 88, BDH-211 ;
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/48714b71-465b-4d13-86bb-ace5ab2a74b6.jpg

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 09:58 PM

OUTSTANDING!!!
Membernjg02
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 37

Mood: Grateful.

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 10:34 PM

What a story!
My missus reckons I'm related to the tubby guy having a scratch.

71 super in progress.
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on February 1st, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by njg02
What a story!
My missus reckons I'm related to the tubby guy having a scratch.

:lol:
I will try and find the TOP SPRINGS "zombie" photo that she was annoyed at the photographer for taking of her.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberLUFTMEISTER
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 119

Mood: BRISVEGAS in a state of flux

posted on February 2nd, 2014 at 08:40 AM

Great story, told with humour & experience. Thanks for capturing their story.:yes:

Customer service is not dead in Australia.

Always after HAZET & MATRA & VW factory tools
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on March 11th, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Quote from the story;

"Darwin, to us, then, was the most beautiful sight we had ever seen - it meant a bath, clean clothes and sleep – only 6 hours instead of the 30 allotted to us but better than nothing. We had friends in Darwin who really looked after us and when we left, we felt reasonably human again - if you doubt that we ever reached the zombi stage, we have evidence in a certain photo taken in Top Springs! That photographer was in danger of his life for some time after."

That photo.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0005.jpg

I've rescanned some of the photos on a better scanner, and added some new ones.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0012.jpg

Mt Isa drive-in. Note somebody sleeping on the ground on the left.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0008.jpg

Stocking up on supplies.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0009.jpg

Nice and shiny at the start.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0004.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0006.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0014.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0015.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0016.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0003.jpg

Other competitors and the photographer's station wagon.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0010.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/hazmat5765/scan0011.jpg

Hope you like them, Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on March 12th, 2014 at 01:00 PM

Rob, they are excellent! Thanks very much! :tu:
MemberStinkbug

Threads: 11

Mood: unpredictable

posted on March 28th, 2014 at 07:58 PM

the coolest pics ...thank her for sharing .i feel honoured to have viewed them:tu:
Memberoldskoolguy

posted on March 28th, 2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkbug
the coolest pics ...thank her for sharing .i feel honoured to have viewed them:tu:

I will pass on your thanks mate, Norma will be really happy to hear that!
Rob.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top