Author: Subject:  EJ20 ECU Loom?
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 21st, 2008 at 10:27 AM
EJ20 ECU Loom?

To cut a long story short, I have a 2003 EJ20 that was given to me by a friend doing a turbo conversion on a brumby ute, but no loom or ECU.

I had been contemplating just selling the EJ and going with a diesel Isuzu that I've got, but......................

So.... what I need to confirm is, I need a ECU and loom for a EJ20 that is OBD2 (after 2003 in Aus?) and off of an Australian delivered car. Am I right in this thought?

With the OBD2 setup is there a problem with needing the original key, tumbler etc... for the emobiliser? From what I can gather the guys in the UK get around this, or am i delusional?

With the intake on these later model EJ's, when putting them in a Bay. The Rjes website in the Uk mentions that a throttle body reverser will not work on engines made after 1999, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Finally, a cast aluminum cleanup question. The engine has been covered by a tarp for a year or so and some of the casting has got that lovely white powdery crap on it, any good cleanup methods?

I found this http://www.shopezway.com/Detailed/3291.html  aluminum cleaner mentioned on a couple of hot rod websites, but no Aus supplier.

Cheers for your time guys, hope this gets me on my way with the conversion
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on December 21st, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Hi

Does the motor have variable intake cam timing? If not you should be able to hock up a local after market ECU (Autronic, Haltech, Microtech etc), variable valve timing makes things a little harder, I'm not sure what the local rego authorities would say about that.

Steve
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 21st, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Hi Steve,

The after market ECU's will work, but not for rego. Must be an Australian ECU (i.e. not Jap spec) they run a different level of tune and don't meet the ADR's

Cheers
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on December 21st, 2008 at 09:12 PM

Some engineers will be okay with an aftermarket ECU if it is fitted to a vehicle that was originally carby, even if the transplant engine was Aus-spec.. they will probably want a vacuum-swiched (as opposed to ECU-switched) evap emission system (charcoal can) too

Pay your debts, CxxT
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on December 21st, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Hi

Cold you not hide a non factory ECU in a factory looking box? You really need to make sure you get the correct ECU and loom to suit your motor.

Steve
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 72kombi
Hi Steve,

The after market ECU's will work, but not for rego. Must be an Australian ECU (i.e. not Jap spec) they run a different level of tune and don't meet the ADR's

Cheers

aftermarket ECUs are ok as long as they can't easily be changed on the road. That's why they get upset about handsets.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pete wood
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Cheers

aftermarket ECUs are ok as long as they can't easily be changed on the road. That's why they get upset about handsets.

lol... yeah those handsets are for ricers whose peepees are too small to play with while sitting in a driver's seat...

Pay your debts, CxxT
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 10:32 AM

My engineer wants a '4 way gas analysis report' done to prove the tune was within specs for the emissions of that year! By using an aftermarket ECU with a standard program, that is achievable. Then when at the drags or racing, it is possible to use other programs.

Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
My engineer wants a '4 way gas analysis report' done to prove the tune was within specs for the emissions of that year! By using an aftermarket ECU with a standard program, that is achievable. Then when at the drags or racing, it is possible to use other programs.

That's good to know, will be interesting to see if it is the same in SA.

Any idea what the '4 way gas analysis report' was going to cost?

Thanks for the info guys, will need to check with a local engineer, but going aftermarket will make the wiring and getting around the immobiliser a damn site easier.
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 02:13 PM

I had mine checkd and as long as all the emissions stuff was connected, thats all i needed. He didnt even want to look at my birds nest wiring and computer ,no gas test in NSW:crazy: Just a exhaust noise test.

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 06:09 PM

Sorry guys, back to the manifold question. Has anyone had issues with post 1999 engines and using a throttle body inverter (in a bay)?

i.e. this type http://www.rjes.com/html/throttle_body_reverser__-_99_.html 

and found that they needed to do something like this http://www.rjes.com/html/induction_manifold_reversal_co.html 

or is it something specific to the engines they have in the UK?

I've searched around and most reference is for the EJ22 in bay windows.

Cheers Luke
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on December 22nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Hi

The throttle body inverter wont work on a turbo motor because the intercooler wont hock up once the throttle is inverted.

Steve
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 07:11 AM

...unless you use a barrel 'cooler!

Pay your debts, CxxT
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 09:03 AM

Hi

I'm sure you could get the intercooler hooked up work with a few bends and fittings.

Steve
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 09:08 PM

No, it's for a NA EJ20. What I've read seems to indicate that it's a problem for all late model engines NA, or turbo.

Cheers Luke
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 09:59 PM

Hi

I don't know how I got the idea that you had an EJ20T.

Steve
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:51 PM

The invert manifold will work fine on the later EJ 20 N/A. The problem is related to the ICV bypass and is not a real issue. The reason RJES notes problems is because he copied a stock EJ 22 Invert manifold a UK guy bought off Custom Vee Dub and didn't design his own. Custom Vee Dub are currently upgrading their design of the later generation Invert manifold to allow for these issues and also the issues found on the EJ 25. Along with sumps for the Turbo motors.

The reason most reference the EJ 22 is because they are the most common conversion. The Ej 20 model that you have is fine, just not as availible as the EJ 22's.

As for the ECU and Loom the other option you have is to get a manifold and engine loom off an earlier model EJ 20 which are more readily availible. That is if you have a quad cam EJ 20 and not a twin cam. If you have a twin cam I have been told you can swap over EJ 22 stuff but as I have never actually done it I could not say for sure.

I am guessing you are fitting this in a kombi ??

If you go factory ECU and loom for that year you will need the chip matched ignition switch or some modifications to sort it. Most of the mods have issues so I would just run the ignition barrrel and key.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 24th, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Thanks Brad, that clears things up a bit for me. It gets to the point where every new thing you read contradicts the last!!!:spin:

I've got a mate with an old liberty, so I'll see if I can check similarities and yes my motor is a twin cam.

On a positive note I've found a guy in Adelaide with a '05 Aus spec Impreza Loom and ECU. I'm assuming this should work for me, but god knows how much he wants for it.
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on December 24th, 2008 at 10:17 PM

You shouldn't be paying to much for one if you can find it as if they are seperating it from teh engine then it is cause the engine is stuffed and a loom and ecu don't exactly wear out, thus the engine is the expensive part. I would expect to pay no more than $230 - $300 for loom and ECU. Often the most expensive part of the loom is pulling the damn thing out of the car.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberElusiveStranger
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on December 27th, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Finally, a cast aluminum cleanup question. The engine has been covered by a tarp for a year or so and some of the casting has got that lovely white powdery crap on it, any good cleanup methods?

Try some of these:
Alloy Wheel Cleaner
Acetic Acid (vinegar, liquid kettle descaler, photographic "stop"), it'll attack the oxide, it may discolour the alloy but not 'eat' it. It's cheap too
Gash old toothbrush (called a "bugger", Best Universal Grit, Grime and Effulient Remover)
Dremmel with a wire brush
Elbow Grease - hard to find these days ;)

Then give it a nice coat of HT paint.
Member72kombi
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 31st, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElusiveStranger
Quote:

Try some of these:
Alloy Wheel Cleaner
Acetic Acid (vinegar, liquid kettle descaler, photographic "stop"), it'll attack the oxide, it may discolour the alloy but not 'eat' it. It's cheap too
Gash old toothbrush (called a "bugger", Best Universal Grit, Grime and Effulient Remover)
Dremmel with a wire brush
Elbow Grease - hard to find these days ;)

Then give it a nice coat of HT paint.

Cheers for that, I've got a 20lt container of descaler (use to clean tile floors!), as long as its clean all will be good.

Striping it back to a long motor is a good idea anyway, then a lick of paint to match the engine bay.

Back to the ecu,

Haltech prices were surprisingly low and from what I've been told will pass emissions without testing if I can find a map that has been tested before. One of the suppliers I was talking to thought he wouldn't have any trouble laying his hands on one with a bit of notice. Here's hoping! Silly twit in Adelaide with the factory loom and ecu wanted $600, no barrel, or key!!!:no:
MemberGeorgeL
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 11

posted on January 27th, 2009 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buggy Brad
The reason RJES notes problems is because he copied a stock EJ 22 Invert manifold a UK guy bought off Custom Vee Dub and didn't design his own. Custom Vee Dub are currently upgrading their design of the later generation Invert manifold to allow for these issues and also the issues found on the EJ 25.

I hope they complete this soon. I need one for my EJ25 into early bay conversion and was worried since the inverter disappeared off of the CVD web site.

Go To Top