A.k.a.: Dave
Wolfsburg Wizard
AKA: BlackBug

Threads: 38

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Slammed

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Bad Drivers

It would seem that ever since I bought my beetle and started driving it daily, I am surrounded by people doing dumb things around me. I'm constantly being tailgated, rounded up on narrow backroads, not allowed to merge to the point where I run out of lane, and people cutting in front of me last minute at a red light. This is just to name a few!

SO I was wondering. Is it a VW thing? Does everyone suffer this, or is it just me? Or is it just that drivers have gotten worse in the past few months?

I know my 1200 is no powerhouse, but it's like people see a Beetle and immediately think 'shit, a slow crapbox - better do something dumb'

Please tell me I'm not alone! :crazy:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q149/5LAM/notch10errtar.png
[size=5]Custom doesn't come in a Box[/size]
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 09:08 AM

I think it is mostly that people see an old car and don't want too get caught behind what they think is going to slow them up. We get it in our 68 all the time.

Yogie
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 09:25 AM

Far from alone.

I believe its the general ill conceived "vw's are slsow' assumption from the public. But idiot drivers are everywhere, and even the idiot drivers think everyone else are idiot drivers. lol. If you can find humour in the stupidity, its amazing how the circus performance just smoothly passes on by. :tu:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 09:39 AM

far from alone, if i had a cent for every time ive been cut off or had them do something stupid id be a millionaire by now.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 09:43 AM

Hi

I have the exact opposite experiences apart from the odd dickhead. My daily is my sons 1303, it looks like its been modified so it may not be considered slow by other road users.

I find that most people a very courteous and will let me merge or giveway without any issues and this is in Sydney where we have many drivers that missed out on the driving gene.

My son has two R31 Nissans and his bug, I sometimes forget to remove the green Ps when I drive them, I have noticed a different driving attitude towards me when I leave P plates on, mainly from other P platers.

Steve
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 10:14 AM

i find it also differs where you drive. when i use to drive to north sydney its was a lot less idiots, but driving to camden every day i see a hell of a lot more. its the i must over take the bug to prove myself.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Member5lam
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Totally agree Chris.
There have always been bad drivers, and idiot drivers around me no matter what I'm driving.
But like Yogie said, its probably moreso the fact that everyone percieves them as slow, and don't want to be stuck behind it.

I had a guy overtake me in the bike lane yesterday because I was doing 40 in a 50 zone, up a hill.

Membersurfpig
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 10:53 AM

i get it alot too, but if you do over take them... should see their face!

Im so happy I could just shit.
Member5lam
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfpig
i get it alot too, but if you do over take them... should see their face!

Yep, I'm looking forward to getting my 1600Tp installed!!

Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I must say I don't seem to see it as much as I used to .

I remember before 100kmh limits, I used to mainly sit between 120 & 140 (country roads), and quite often you would overtake someone, and next thing they would zoom past then eventually slow down again. Once you overtook them a 2nd time, they mostly just let you go then.

My big problem ever since open road speed limits came in, is keeping concentration with 100 or 110kmh speed limits - it is like watching a photograph for hours on end. :-(

From your ole' mate Jeff
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 02:39 PM

Well Ive spent a bloody lot of time and Kays on the road, not to mention quite a few miles, in all types of vehicles both new, old, fast and slow, and I've encountered bad, good, and average drivers ever since I started to drive some 40 odd years ago, I reckon there was times I have fitted into all of those catagories myself, though not at the same time, :crazy: though hopefully most of the time in the good slot, let the fools blunder on and see if you can match the skills and temperament of the good, then it'll all be fine.
My 2 c worth.

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Membershokwave2
A.k.a.: Matt Hamilton
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 28

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 03:36 PM

I've noticed other drivers hate it if they get overtaken by an old VW. They then have to prove something and speed up to overtake you. They must be embarassed or something.

As for the merging lanes and cutting in front at red light situations, i think it comes down to the way you drive. I've been a delivery driver for 5 years and spend all day on the road, ducking in and out of traffic and squeezing into tight parking spaces. It's all about confidence. Do you think another driver would let you merge into the side of their car and damage it or do you think they'll eventually brake, move over and let you in? Alot of people drive too cautiously, but sometimes you have to drive offensively to get where you have to go, nothing dangerous though.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shokwave2
I've noticed other drivers hate it if they get overtaken by an old VW.

That is definately a VW thing, cos I drive exactly the same no matter which of my cars I'm in but soon as I pass them in the bug thats it, race initiated, the others they just move over and let me pass... :crazy:

The worst ones are the midlife crisis men in the beamers and mercs, they are great fun to play with, cos they hate having their pride hurt by an old VW. :lol:
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 04:14 PM

Ahah I agree with Joel and Matt.

So true though, if I pass anyone in my bug, it is game on for them.
I just let them pass and put along behind them...
(Sometimes).

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 191

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 04:58 PM

When we had a kombi, the engine was a nicely put together 1800 type 4 and it would sit on 130kph (not that I ever did such a thing officer) on the motorway but people would nearly kill themselves to overtake it, then happy that they were ahead of a kombi they would then slow down:spin:
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yogie
I think it is mostly that people see an old car and don't want too get caught behind what they think is going to slow them up. We get it in our 68 all the time.

Yogie

^ This.
I think it apply to any old car. If it ain't the latest bmw x5 you are too slow.

what shits me a lot is when you are approaching a faster speed zone (eg from 80 to 100) and you are obeying the rules and going the limit til you pass the sign. well it seems if you have an old car thats a bit aged people all of the sudden with few hundred meter to go just jump the gun and try to overtake and cut you off a meter in font of you pretty much exclusively, sometimes to the point you have to hit the brakes(ie overtake and slow down in font of you), nope they wont do it to there mazda cx friends but to you yes they do!

So I go F this shit! get all mad. as soon as I hit the faster zone I accelerate up to the limit hard and they soon stop cutting me off and back off then they leave me alone. People must forget just because its old don't mean it not powerful.

Seems people like to play domination on the roads and I get this the most from SUV drivers (ie yupies) and ute driver (ie tradies) generally the other drivers on the road are alright and I haven't had too much problems.

See the thing is when overtaking get a fair way infront of the car then slowly move over to that lane not just nearly wipe the car's front out.

yep I agree with the OP, daily driving is a struggle for survival

One other thing I hate is when you drive an old car the is like truck in some sense to drive in slow traffic and requires some space in front of you to launch. people just barge in and steal your gap. I f**king need that gap!:grind: arrrhh!

same thing happens, I noticed that people nearly cost their lives to change lanes if there is a gap even if the gap is in the slower lane or further behind them??? where the hell is the sense in that !?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Membervlad01

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Quote:
Originally posted by shokwave2
I've noticed other drivers hate it if they get overtaken by an old VW.

That is definately a VW thing, cos I drive exactly the same no matter which of my cars I'm in but soon as I pass them in the bug thats it, race initiated, the others they just move over and let me pass... :crazy:

The worst ones are the midlife crisis men in the beamers and mercs, they are great fun to play with, cos they hate having their pride hurt by an old VW. :lol:

haha this is what I was refering to. giant bmw cars and SUVs. they hate it allright.

Last week I was lined up at the Keillor park off ramp lights north bound with a V8 BA ford and on the other side of that there was a V8 VT ss, and me in my shitty 20 year old V6 bomdore. I hear the others revving up. uh ohs a race :spin: between them that is. so I thought I make this a 3 way. light goes green we all launch. I get up in front, they VT ss slowly passes and gets away, no surprise there and the BA drops behind but gains a little with my gear change but ultimately looses lol

I can tell the BA driver was mad :lol: yeah its was funny I don't think either of them expected that. It would be even funnier in a kombi though like this one. :smilegrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powVngJ-Ljc 

71 notchback,
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on February 28th, 2012 at 07:32 PM

i agree, in my bug-ute, i get dickhead after dickhead giving me grief, they get a shock at the lights tho, its light and fast. the worst offenders are young women drivers, they drive like they have something to prove, sooner or later i will see / be involved in a nasty accident just hope its not me getting hurt.
when i'm in my musso 4x4 i get no bother, its almost invisible on the roads!

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka
1 golf cabrio
1 vw camper trailer
2 3meter bombs
Memberbones65
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 08:08 AM

I get the idiot drivers all the time when running around in the B-Double. I once had a clown jump in front of me as I was slowing down for a red light :grind:
Needless to say he left me no room to pull up and I hit the fool from behind. The funny thing was as I climbed out of the cab, this guy decided to do a runner and drove off with his boot caved in.
Me thinks he may have been drinking and didn't want the cops around because in the eyes of the law it was my fault and it would be damn hard to prove otherwise. At least now the boss has installed forward facing cameras in the cabs:lol:
MemberClockworkMonkey
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 29

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 08:24 AM

on the ipswich motorway my cream vw is king hahahaha ... i pass heaps of people on the way to work and back home (doing 55mph (90kmh) which is the posted limit) :P . its just a standard 1500cc sp but once its moving its got some get up and go! most idiot drivers will think top speed is everything. my average speed is higher than them and therefore i keep infront of them :) i find most people curteous usually. sometimes you get a wanker who wants to go you at the lights (why?, when its obvious you are going to win), but in general i have no hassles. i can't wait to get a bigger dp engine though
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 08:29 AM

Had it on the way to work this morning.
In the rain too. Idiot almost smacked into the side of me to squeeze into the gap in front, had to slam on my brakes.

Cursed and blasted off.

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 08:48 AM

So it took research to work this out???
Well f**k me :rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/sci-tech/study-finds-rich-upper-class-...

Its true though, some of the worst drivers on the roads are those soccer mums and the big 4wd that hubby had to have cos it tows a boat once a year.

This Prado cost $57,000, it must be able to take round abouts at 80km/h.... :rolleyes:
Memberbugsandoil
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 17

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 05:42 PM

I'm the opposite,..

Whenever I see an old vw I slow down so it can pass me so I can check it out!!!:spin:
Memberducati 1100
Casual Dubber

Threads: 7

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 09:00 PM

Ive got a double dose of the surrounding idiot syndrome your talking about, it happens in the beetle and even more so when im on the ducati. Its bloody louder than the beetle so they should hear me but its worse on two wheels!

1966 1300 Beetle, 12v conversion- 1600 rat.:crazy:
Membervlad01

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwjon
i agree, in my bug-ute, i get dickhead after dickhead giving me grief, they get a shock at the lights tho, its light and fast. the worst offenders are young women drivers, they drive like they have something to prove, sooner or later i will see / be involved in a nasty accident just hope its not me getting hurt.
when i'm in my musso 4x4 i get no bother, its almost invisible on the roads!

yeah what is up with that?, actuality the most aggressive tailgating had been done to me by women. I don't know why coz I don't understand them.

The last woman to do such a thing was just this monday with all the horrible flash flooding on the Calder, this young woman in her astra was trying to overtake me overtaking someone else, so I slowed down and kept her there for a bit and slowly made my way past this other car, she was about a meter or 2 behind me doing 100 ish ks. As soon as there was a space big enough she flew past and did the same to the next lot of people overtaking in the right lane.

I mean wtf? when its raining like that? she deserves to have an accident and be the only person killed.

earlier up the road the cops had the left lane diverted due to 1 foot deep pot holes, I was already in the right lane. All sweet, well the 4x4 just a little while in front left lane suddenly slowed down to about 60-70 don't know why? plenty of time to change lane, I am still doing 100+, then the 4x4 indicates for 2 secs and without looking changes right in front of me, It didn't click til I was about to hit the car, I just didn't think someone would be stupid enough to do that!.

My heart was pounding for a while after that, I was so lucky that the surface in that particular part of the road was rough as guts and allowed the tyre to grip and allowed me to wipe off the speed difference in less than 5m in an instant without locking the wheels. I was rather surprised as my car is shocking in the rain, worse on those smooth bitumen in the rain than on black ice. I was lucky is all I can say.

bloody idiot!

71 notchback,
Membervlad01

posted on February 29th, 2012 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsandoil
I'm the opposite,..

Whenever I see an old vw I slow down so it can pass me so I can check it out!!!:spin:

haha yeah I did that one I sped up to check out a pine green late square and sat next to it for a while to check it out.

the driver didn't even notice me checking it out lol.

71 notchback,
Membermactaylor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 54

Mood: even my dog is german

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 05:33 AM

on a bit of a road trip at the moment left albury friday, drags saturday wsid, boat racing sunday upper hawksbury, then west of kempsey monday, touring around the mid north coast for the week. All i can say is i hate most pepole on the road, got cut off in traffic on the way to wsid with millimetres to spare by a bloke towing a trailer. tailgated then abused as he flew by for doing over the posted limit on the way to the boat racing. then watched idiots on the pacific hwy speed up, slow down, take stupid risks just to overtake one car. doesnt make sense to me, dont get me wrong i am a hoon love it, but in traffic take it easy, open your bloody eyes and have a bit of common sense!

EVERLAST CONCRETE TANKS
1800 552 123
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 08:47 AM

I think the problem isn't driving skills, just ignorance. A severe lack of thought of possible circumstances of actions, forward thinking, mental role playing and problem solving. Driver education doesn't strongly highlight to not get caught in your own personal 'bubble' on the road. I remember watching a clip of the german autobahn, public drivers would move off the overtaking lane well ahead of cars catching up, there was the constant 'open mind' to surroundings.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda though... The general consensus of the type of drivers in Australia isn't going to change too quickly.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on March 1st, 2012 at 10:59 AM

As Lee would say, YIKES, after reading the above posts I'm handing my licence in, too bloody dangerouse out there, with the reports of some drivers being mentaly deficient and others admiting to being in the same condition themselves I'm outa here. YIKES.:no::spin:

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
MemberLucky Phil
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: I'm a legend in my own lunchtime!

posted on March 2nd, 2012 at 08:22 PM

They were saying on the radio the other day that one in ten drivers are drug affected in some way these days.
It's not hard to believe. It would explain a lot.
The increase in road rage seems to match the increase in amphetamine abuse too.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top