Board Logo

wrx motor in beetle
veegrub - November 22nd, 2009 at 01:00 AM

hi i was wondering if anyone on this site has sucessfully achieved fitting a subaru complete with turbo engine in a bug if so i would like to have a chat with them
before i buy a half cut i have quite a few questions
theres a couple on youtube which have given me an itch that wont go away and before i do anything would like to speak to someone thats been there and done it
bye for now

Brian - November 22nd, 2009 at 06:59 AM

A subie motor in a vw is very common ,
IMO very boring
a good vw motor is much more exotic and unusual.

Please don't hack up another bug to do this , if you want one buy one already converted , there is plenty of them out there.
:smilegrin:

71-BEETLE-SEDAN - November 22nd, 2009 at 09:46 AM

Check out the next topic down, Non vw conversions, there is quite a few check em out.

MISS VDUB - November 22nd, 2009 at 10:55 AM

There is a whole section for this as stated above. A Forum member called Seagull (Neil) is a wonderful source of information for Turbo Conversions...

hellbugged - November 22nd, 2009 at 12:53 PM

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewforum.php?fid=59 

hellbugged - November 22nd, 2009 at 12:54 PM

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=67295 

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=66118 

STIDUB - November 22nd, 2009 at 07:56 PM

search button is your friend, plenty of them, seems avd is the site to go to internationally regarding subie bugs, other than VWKD at least

1303Steve - November 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
IMO very boring

Please don't hack up another bug to do this , if you want one buy one already converted , there is plenty of them out there.

Hi

Look out for the VW fun police, you must fit into their narrow view of VWs or suffer their wrath.

If you think they are boring, go for a ride in one, but take spare undies.

It his car he can do what ever he wants, I don't know of any WRX powered VWs that could not easily be converted back to air cooled, so what is the problem with doing a conversion.

As already said look in the non VW engine section.

Steve

veegrub - November 22nd, 2009 at 11:57 PM

thanks steve for that
i guess thats what a forum is about i suppose alot of people here are helpful and know their stuff,
opinions are fair and just, what i found on this site are people that love vw and are passionate which is a good thing
thanks to everyone thats responded

that black and white dub (dub sti) i think oooooman

psimitar - November 25th, 2009 at 10:41 AM

A normally aspirated EJ20 will fit without body mods but the ej20t does require the engine bay side panels to be modded to clear the larger cylinder heads and induction pipes. I think this is why purists don't like the mod as there's a fair bit of work needed to get it back to original ;)

Oh and you also need to chop the front around to fit the radiator :)

1303Steve - November 25th, 2009 at 01:23 PM

Hi

I did most of the same chopping of sheet metal with my old WBX powered bug, I converted it back to air cooled and sold it, no big deal.

Steve

Craig Torrens - July 20th, 2011 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by forry2000
Old post, but its just Ben Durie being negative and offering an opinion behind closed doors as usual.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
IMO very boring

:lol: Thats old news Forry, we've all known that................but then again you are a tad slow !

Johnnie B - July 22nd, 2011 at 02:16 PM

Take a look at CB Performance website. I just got my engine from them. 2387 injected turbo, aircooled VW engine. Dyno test got me 400hp at 15 pounds of boost and it bolts straight in.
Getting it shipped to Australia will be costly though.

psimitar - August 8th, 2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by STIDUB
search button is your friend, plenty of them, seems avd is the site to go to internationally regarding subie bugs, other than VWKD at least

Thats cos Aussies like cheap power and a decent type 1 motor cost 5 times the price it would in the UK or USA to put together. If you can buy a cheap WRX motor then conversion plate kit and a rad is the only major outlay, if your brakes are OK.

Cheap and easy :)

Joel - August 8th, 2011 at 09:14 AM

A gearbox that's not gonna go bang usually costs more than the engine and conversion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie B
Take a look at CB Performance website. I just got my engine from them. 2387 injected turbo, aircooled VW engine. Dyno test got me 400hp at 15 pounds of boost and it bolts straight in.

Impressive engine yes, but most people don't want a big ugly fuel tanker that follows them everywhere to feed a beast like that.

Fuel isn't quite as cheap here in aus as it is in North America.

psimitar - August 8th, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
A gearbox that's not gonna go bang usually costs more than the engine and conversion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie B

USA has caught up BIG time with fuel prices. Some staes are on par with Oz prices.

For a suitable gearbox do a search for subaru gearbox conversion. There is an Oz company that sell a reversed ring and pinion so that the Liberty/Impreza 5 speed fits a Beetle or Kombi :) 4.5K dollars Oz for a converted shortened box that'll take over 220bhp from a std WRX EJ20T so add 100bhp and that box will still handle it :)

Impressive engine yes, but most people don't want a big ugly fuel tanker that follows them everywhere to feed a beast like that.

Fuel isn't quite as cheap here in aus as it is in North America.