Board Logo

Exchange Engine Numbers
grumble - July 28th, 2020 at 08:00 PM

A long time ago when I was doing my apprenticeship exchange engines were available from VW and from memory they had a prefix to the original number. I have a 40hp engine and it is stamped with an S in front of the engine Number, can anyone remind me if this is correct.
I think the number is around the 1963 era.

Bizarre - July 28th, 2020 at 09:34 PM

Your not thinking of those KDA numbers?

https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=90098 

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/what-motor-is-this.58257/ 

hulbyw - July 28th, 2020 at 10:12 PM

From the Samba "VW recycle stamp in front of numbers?? arrows in counter clockwise rotation." I actually had a 1600 case that was remanufactured however I have sold it and don't remember if the above is correct. Any chance the S on yours could be arrows in counter clockwise rotation.?
Cheers

grumble - July 29th, 2020 at 08:38 AM

I will blow the photo up and have a look, it looks like the same script as the numbers but there may be something stamped behind it or with it. I think the recos were done at Camperdown.

AA003 - July 29th, 2020 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grumble
I will blow the photo up and have a look, it looks like the same script as the numbers but there may be something stamped behind it or with it. I think the recos were done at Camperdown.

Does it have a P at the end of the number? The VW reco motors that I have seen had a VW recycle stamp.

grumble - July 30th, 2020 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AA003
Quote:
Originally posted by grumble

Does it have a P at the end of the number? The VW reco motors that I have seen had a VW recycle stamp.

No P Just the S as a prefix I blew the pic up and it looks like a mark in the casting behind the S.

vw54 - July 30th, 2020 at 06:59 PM

Les you are correct

i have one with prefix S

grumble - July 31st, 2020 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
Les you are correct

i have one with prefix S

Thanks Dave it is too long ago and I was starting to think I was having a moment.:crazy:

vw54 - August 1st, 2020 at 07:15 PM

i hope you had your pants on

grumble - August 1st, 2020 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
i hope you had your pants on

Fortunately I did Dave, it wasn't that good a moment unfortunately.:lol::crazy: