Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1699 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 90098 ]
Author: Subject:  36hp engine number do you know what this means?
Memberkuta
Casual Dubber

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 09:22 AM
36hp engine number do you know what this means?

Can anyone tell me what they know about the engine number on a 36hp engine i picked up? The number stamped is KDA001914. I was told it was out of a 59 but would have thought that it should have numbers only and start with a 2 or a 3.

1957 Oval Window under slow restoration.
1959 Under slow preservation
MemberKombi_Rescue
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Mood: DSK member

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 12:59 PM

thats a factory exchange engine.....they were available complete turn key option...cheers

http://www.frenzix.com/dsk/dskforumbanners/dskbannertemplatesteve.gif
Memberoldtub356
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 14

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 01:00 PM

I have x2 answers plus a guess:

Worldwide KD "usually" means KnockDown in the auto industry. But, it can vary within each manufacturer as needs demand. There is a German translation for KD (which I can't find at the moment), it doesn't translate precisely to "KnockDown", more like "factory supplied"??.

1). Some times it is/was used when counties (like Australia/New Zealand) had heavy import tariffs on fully assembled imported cars. Knocked Down full or partial car Kits where imported at a lot cheaper tariff because of local labour being used to complete assembly. At various times VWs in Oz had changing amounts of KD component/assemblies.
Some significant parts "could be" marked as KD - Chassis, Engine, Transmission.

2). Often, repairs, such as full engine replacements, would see either an engine case or a full engine replaced with a factory unit (ie. not repaired) - these would be marked KD prefix to a new (usually low) serial number. (For Warranty record purposes)

The guess: The KDA could mean "KnockDownAustralia" - the VWAustralian factory being the source of a replacement engine or case. The use of VWA stamped on some components/accessories was standard practice. It is possible that early days assembly in Oz - before full factory production, versions of KD were being used when necessary, some marked KD, some not.

These KD numbering processes were not religiously applied and come and went over time.

Have a look here for the long answer re: KnockDown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock-down_kit 
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:

thats a factory exchange engine.....

Ill go with Steves answer

Memberfarkengruven
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldtub356
I have x2 answers plus a guess:

Worldwide KD "usually" means KnockDown in the auto industry. But, it can vary within each manufacturer as needs demand. There is a German translation for KD (which I can't find at the moment), it doesn't translate precisely to "KnockDown", more like "factory supplied"??.

1). Some times it is/was used when counties (like Australia/New Zealand) had heavy import tariffs on fully assembled imported cars. Knocked Down full or partial car Kits where imported at a lot cheaper tariff because of local labour being used to complete assembly. At various times VWs in Oz had changing amounts of KD component/assemblies.
Some significant parts "could be" marked as KD - Chassis, Engine, Transmission.

2). Often, repairs, such as full engine replacements, would see either an engine case or a full engine replaced with a factory unit (ie. not repaired) - these would be marked KD prefix to a new (usually low) serial number. (For Warranty record purposes)

The guess: The KDA could mean "KnockDownAustralia" - the VWAustralian factory being the source of a replacement engine or case. The use of VWA stamped on some components/accessories was standard practice. It is possible that early days assembly in Oz - before full factory production, versions of KD were being used when necessary, some marked KD, some not.

These KD numbering processes were not religiously applied and come and went over time.

Have a look here for the long answer re: KnockDown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock-down_kit 

No offence, but that is a whole lot of dribble there.......No need to guess, if you don't know....then you don't know.

Factory VW exchange engines in Germany were stamped KD. KD stands for Kunendienst ("exchange service")
Factory VW exchange engines in Australia were stamped KDA. The A being or Australia.

2007 T5 TDI Crewvan
2003 Passat
NSU Ro80
1975 Passat TS
1973 L bug
MemberKombi_Rescue
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Mood: DSK member

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 07:02 PM

no offence ...what would I know ..family dealer since 1955...and fitted plenty as a full turnkey option

http://www.frenzix.com/dsk/dskforumbanners/dskbannertemplatesteve.gif
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 07:24 PM

Hi

The later VW exchange short motors (no tinware, exhaust or fuel system etc) had no engine number, just the engine type letters F, AD etc and a VW symbol with recycling styel circular arrow around it.

Steve

Go To Top