Author: Subject:  body filler recommendations
MemberDubsky
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 21

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on March 20th, 2013 at 06:23 PM
body filler recommendations

I have a body off bare metal resto underway which requires some filler work and need some advise...After reading through several posts im planning to seal the blasted panels with 408 Epotec then apply body filler, seal and topcoat with 2 pac paint.
So here are my questions:
Does anyone recommend a particular brand of filler? There will be some largish areas covered on fenders and i'd like to use something that's as stable as possible and compatible with the epoxy primer.
The epoxy primer will be on the body for several months before filler work is done - will I have bonding issues? or will scuffing the surface with 120 grit be enough? I understand I should scuff the epoxy while its still fresh otherwise it will be much harder to cut into when fully cured?
Am I better off trying to do the bulk of the filler work straight after shooting the epoxy on for a better bond?
Will issues arise if the filler isn't sealed promptly?
I understand in a perfect world there'd be minimal time between each process but i'm doing this after hours and know at various stages the car might sit for several weeks/months without being touched....
Recommendations for two part sealers and paints?

All help appreciated :)
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on March 20th, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Epotec is good. It is epoxy so can be left for years.

Rub it with at least 120 grit before applying filler. Be careful and make sure you rub evry bit. You can do it anywhere between 2 days and 2 years.

I prefer to use uPol brand filler they have one called Fan Tas Tic. more expensive but awesome to rub and very stable.

Membersnitz
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 37

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Red
Mood: "Bug"gered

posted on March 21st, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Agree with the U-POL range..Used all their fillers on a previous respray aswell as their knife puttys which are in convenient screw top pouches... to their full car drop sheets.Good value for money products.
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 22nd, 2013 at 04:58 AM

X3 on the UPOL filler, used it on the HQ.

Quit calling rust patina
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on March 29th, 2013 at 09:16 AM

whats a filler or spot putty you can use on bumper plastic? I think its polyethylene?

I got Upol bumper fill 2 part filler designed for plastic. does not stick at all lol

All i al trying to fill is few micro air bubbles from plastic welding so I need only a match heads worth. I am thinking using the adhesion promoter and dust coat of regular acrylic primer and use the spot putty.

any ideas? sorry for hijacking the thread but since we are on the subject of filler I thought I would ask.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on May 11th, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vlad01
whats a filler or spot putty you can use on bumper plastic? I think its polyethylene?

I got Upol bumper fill 2 part filler designed for plastic. does not stick at all lol

All i al trying to fill is few micro air bubbles from plastic welding so I need only a match heads worth. I am thinking using the adhesion promoter and dust coat of regular acrylic primer and use the spot putty.

any ideas? sorry for hijacking the thread but since we are on the subject of filler I thought I would ask.

for plastic repairs fillers one of the best brands is Teroson. they do kits or u can just buy each part u need... i use them all the time on bike fairings and bars and they have proven to be one of the best brands ..

steff.....

Life with out a v-dub is no life at all!!!!!
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on May 16th, 2013 at 02:13 PM

I just got another bumper with no damage except melted from the exhaust. nothing a bit of plastic welding and splicing can't fix. So I am done on this one :smilegrin:

F*** fillers, I am done with them haha. lead filling and plastic welding all the way.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE

Go To Top