Member58camper
A.k.a.: Bill Moore
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Curt but friendly

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 06:15 PM
YOU CANT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT MEETING SOMEONE

Was travelling in Queensland last week and called in at a Land Rover spare parts shop to see what windscreen wiper arms he had in stock as the early ones were similar to the CB fitting but not identical. The guy asked me what Series Landy I wanted to fit them to and I said a Country Buggy.
He laughed and yelled out to his old man who was out the back shed that there was this bloke looking for bits for a Country Buggy. The old fella from the back staggered in- must have been 80 in the shade- twisted over with arthritis and walking like a three legged dog.
The old fella goes on to tell me that he was working at the Clayton factory when they were producing the Country Buggy and I must admit I was sceptical. This was until he told me that he had worked on all of the three prototypes from time to time and he spent most of him time in the fabrication section where they pressed out the CB pans. He could never understand why the CB was produced with its own pan which was different to the Beetle. He also said the thing that always amazed him about the factory was the way that when the Type 2 panels came in as part of CKD pack the panel beaters would take the rear panel, cut out the louvres from the lower part of the panel and then weld them into a cut out higher in the same panel. He thought it was done for panel repair practice.
I was able to tell him that re positioning the louvres was done to get the louvres up higher from the road and prevent to much dust from entering the engine. This was an approved change agreed by Wolfsburg following a special request by VW Australia.

Unfortunately the old guy could not remember much more and did not think he had any photos of memories from his time at the factory.

Never know who you meet....

countrybuggybill
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 07:02 PM

hah.... interesting story :tu:

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 07:03 PM

Crikey, what a story Bill. That's the thing with Volksies, everyone has a Volksie story....

So did you take him home?

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 07:19 PM

And did you get any Landy wiper arms, Bill.....or did you forget about them after talking to the old bloke?

I'm going to tell Vincent what you said about the "three legged dog".:yes:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Membergrumble

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 58camper
Was travelling in Queensland last week and called in at a Land Rover spare parts shop to see what windscreen wiper arms he had in stock as the early ones were similar to the CB fitting but not identical. The guy asked me what Series Landy I wanted to fit them to and I said a Country Buggy.
He laughed and yelled out to his old man who was out the back shed that there was this bloke looking for bits for a Country Buggy. The old fella from the back staggered in- must have been 80 in the shade- twisted over with arthritis and walking like a three legged dog.
The old fella goes on to tell me that he was working at the Clayton factory when they were producing the Country Buggy and I must admit I was sceptical. This was until he told me that he had worked on all of the three prototypes from time to time and he spent most of him time in the fabrication section where they pressed out the CB pans. He could never understand why the CB was produced with its own pan which was different to the Beetle. He also said the thing that always amazed him about the factory was the way that when the Type 2 panels came in as part of CKD pack the panel beaters would take the rear panel, cut out the louvres from the lower part of the panel and then weld them into a cut out higher in the same panel. He thought it was done for panel repair practice.
I was able to tell him that re positioning the louvres was done to get the louvres up higher from the road and prevent to much dust from entering the engine. This was an approved change agreed by Wolfsburg following a special request by VW Australia.

Unfortunately the old guy could not remember much more and did not think he had any photos of memories from his time at the factory.

Never know who you meet....

countrybuggybill

Bill when I worked at the local dealership we sold a swag of Country buggies to one of the best cattle stations in NSW and the biggest problem was that the air filters couldn't handle the fine dust,the filters choked up and the dust chewed the rings out.We did quite a few engine jobs and the factory reps came and made modifications etc but eventually they traded them and moved on to other vehicles which was a shame because the country buggy left the others for dead.
Membergrumble

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on July 31st, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
And did you get any Landy wiper arms, Bill.....or did you forget about them after talking to the old bloke?

I'm going to tell Vincent what you said about the "three legged dog".:yes:

You can get your Landy wiper arms and blades at Whitworths Marine.

Go To Top