A.k.a.: Mark
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

smile.gif posted on February 7th, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Newest dubber

Hi All,

Been lurking around here for a while and finally got registered.

The wife had a 1970 1500 Beetle when I met her almost 10 years ago which wasn't running very well. To cut a long story short it got garaged 8 years ago and basically hasn't been run since.

We tossed up the idea of selling it (how could I?), but decided to get her back on the road instead.

Been doing a ton of research, learning and really getting into the old bugs. Can't believe I considered selling it. Going through a steep learning curve at the moment - considering I have no 'real' experience.

Unfortunately I didn't store her too well so I have a bit of work to do but its not too bad considering.

My journey so far has determined:
1. That the vac can on the original vac only dizzy (205T) is stuffed and isn't advancing far enough (only about 15 to 18deg at 3500rpm). Changed it for a 009 until I can track down another one.
2. The throttle shaft on the original 30 PICT 2 is leaking pretty bad.
3. Having fuel sitting for so many years clogged the carby up pretty well so it wasn't running very well even after draining the tank, adding a fuel filter, changing fuel hoses etc. I stripped it down, cleaned it up and runs much better but it doesn't want to idle now (according to folks on thesamba it's supposedly a common prob with the 30 PICT 2 due to the factory set idle circuit and getting crap stuck in the circuit).
4. Got my hands on a H30/31 (planned to be temporary) to replace it with but I think it is stuffed... its idling really really really rough (sits at about 600rpm - unless I screw the throttle screw in - which I read is not suppose to be done) and running ridiculously rich, stinks of fuel, blowing smoke and fouling plugs even though it has the same jetting as the 30 PICT 2 does.
5. The engine seems to be OK, but I might be staring down the barrel of at least rings or maybe more at some stage. Compression tests show #1 & #3 at about 120psi and #2 & #4 at 145psi - the wet test brings #1 & #3 back up to around 140psi. I have a sneaky suspicion the exhaust valves are bit knackered - will have to do a leak down test at some stage.

So I'll be tracking down a carby shortly - hopefully a 30PICT1 or 30PICT3 or a known good 30PICT2 - so I can get it running and get her on the road.

I'm really looking forward to learning more and enjoying the bug. I'll have to take a few more photos as I do stuff.

I'm in Adelaide, so hopefully I might see some of you South Aussies around the place. Will definitely be checking out Day of the VW at TTP next month with my brother in law (he has a '71 1600DP and has had a few other VW's over the years), hopefully I'll have the bug running by then.

Cheers,
Mark
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 8th, 2014 at 08:24 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track, Welcome

Quit calling rust patina
Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on February 8th, 2014 at 08:30 AM

welcome to here
you'll find plenty to get you on your way ;)
:tu:

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
Membermgiles
A.k.a.: Mark
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6