[ Total Views: 1955 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 107109 ]
Author: Subject:  Paint code sticker '66
MembereXraycer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 27

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 7th, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Paint code sticker '66

I have an Aussie built 1966 type 3 with no paint code sticker.
Have worked out with high certainty that the colour is in fact Bahama Blue.
Just wondering what the sticker would have looked like and what the paint code would have been.

Does anyone have a pic of the paint sticker for my year model and or colour?
Would be handy to know the size of the sticker too.
Hoping to reproduce one.

This is the closest I could find.
Not sure if my paint was made by Balm or not.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/eXraycer/DAD26716-73CA-43CE-8128-3CEDCEB72F77.png
MemberBetheeee
A.k.a.: Bethany
Casual Dubber

Threads: 6

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: Happy

posted on September 7th, 2014 at 01:29 PM

This is my original one, for my beetle, just perched about where it can from as we just cleaned up the rust in the wheel well, and I haven't cleaned up the back of the sticker yet. Mine is an Aussie '66 but in polar white. I can't imagine they changed the paint for different models.

This is a good site for lots of stuff, but this lists the paints for different years, of Aussie beetles. The 904 on mine is correct to the Aussie site, listed as 1.3.904

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwpaint 

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Fräulein Helga - '66 1300 Beetle (Helga for short)
MembereXraycer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 7th, 2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betheeee
This is my original one, for my beetle, just perched about where it can from as we just cleaned up the rust in the wheel well, and I haven't cleaned up the back of the sticker yet. Mine is an Aussie '66 but in polar white. I can't imagine they changed the paint for different models.

This is a good site for lots of stuff, but this lists the paints for different years, of Aussie beetles. The 904 on mine is correct to the Aussie site, listed as 1.3.904

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwpaint 

Thanks for the reference. I had seen that before to work out I had Bahama blue but It's a little confusing to be honest. For example, your sticker with the CLR prefix is not mentioned. The list says 1.3.904 which is more like the number in the pic I posted but when you look up Turquoise it says 1.2.602 on all instances but the sticker I showed said 1.3.602. It doesn't quite ad up. Just wish there was another 66 type 3 in Bahama blue around that I could just check out the sticker and take a pic.

Also was trying to work out when the BALM paint sticker stopped and they went for the smaller one without a paint manufacturer listed.
MemberBetheeee
A.k.a.: Bethany
Casual Dubber

Threads: 6

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: Happy

posted on September 8th, 2014 at 07:20 PM

The paints were first supplied by Balm Paints Australia (British Australian Lead Manufacturers), who also had a factory in Clayton. They were bought out by Dulux Australia Pty Ltd in 1964. (ClubVW info) So, I'd think in 1966, the paints would be Dulux. Might be why the stickers changed too.

Fräulein Helga - '66 1300 Beetle (Helga for short)
MembereXraycer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 13th, 2014 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betheeee
The paints were first supplied by Balm Paints Australia (British Australian Lead Manufacturers), who also had a factory in Clayton. They were bought out by Dulux Australia Pty Ltd in 1964. (ClubVW info) So, I'd think in 1966, the paints would be Dulux. Might be why the stickers changed too.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 09:43 PM

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/285307.jpg 

That is an original Bahama Blue beetle.

The Glasurit website quotes this colour only for 1964-1966. It code is L519.

Whilst the Australian paint would have been by BALM, I would think that the colours would have been to the German formula so should be the same?
MemberGovernor
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 23

Mood: yes please

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Again I am afraid the Australian colours while close are not the same as the ones used in Germany for the rest of the world.
I had an original Australian painted Balm Turquoise vehicle and I had some L380 made up using Glasurit formulation.
It was close but a lot less green than the original Aussie paint, the only way to get it made was to have it colour matched

Go To Top