Membervinsueball
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 12th, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Imposter ???

Reposted from another section.

Tell me if I'm wrong but from what I see on the web, beetle engine numbers with the 'B' prefix are supposed to be 1600cc......is that correct ?

So, the chrome emblem on the engine cover of my 1970 bug keeps telling me it's a 1300 !!......script VW1300 emblem !! Looks like the previous owner has either swapped out the original 1300 motor or it's had a rear shunt at sometime and they've replaced the whole engine cover with one from a 1300. I suspect the later as the 'under paint' was bright metallic green when we scraped it back to repaint !

Can anyone tell me, if this engine number indicates that it's a 1600cc, what type of emblem I'd expect to see on the rear lid ? Is it VW1600 or Volkswagen....................I'd like to get hold of whatever should be there !

If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on December 12th, 2014 at 07:59 AM

There was 2 model bugs sold in aus in 70, 1300 and 1500.

The 1300s had F single ports and drum front brakes and 1500s which had H single ports and disc front brakes.

1300s also had no window rubber chrome, door arm rests or rear oh shit straps but much of that could have been changed over the years.

B engines were the 1600 single port which we didnt get in bugs, possibly late 60s kombis though, but it will have the hanger mounting points if its a kombi engine.
Membervinsueball
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 13th, 2014 at 04:12 PM

Thanks Joel..........but now I'm even more confused. When I got this bug it had drum brakes all round but it also had chrome inserts in the windscreen rubbers but no arm rests or straps. The motor in this unit is certainly a "B" prefix motor though.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on December 13th, 2014 at 06:06 PM

We once had a 1970 1300. It had 4 wheel drums, beam front end, no armrests, no straps, no vents in the deck lid, 4" wide wheels, no bright trim on window rubbers, no crescent vents behind the back quarter windows, no fresh air vents on the dash. It was owned by a one owner old lady, so it was pretty original. Anything can be changed over the years though.

What do you want in your Beetle?

MemberSunset Garage
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 18

posted on December 13th, 2014 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
We once had a 1970 1300. It had 4 wheel drums, beam front end, no armrests, no straps, no vents in the deck lid, 4" wide wheels, no bright trim on window rubbers, no crescent vents behind the back quarter windows, no fresh air vents on the dash. It was owned by a one owner old lady, so it was pretty original. Anything can be changed over the years though.

What do you want in your Beetle?

1970 didn't have crescent vents on any model. Too early for them, 71 was the first year for crescent vents. So they could hardly delete something that hadn't been introduced yet.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on December 13th, 2014 at 09:56 PM

I'm not saying they were deleted, I am just saying they were not there! Yeah?

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on December 14th, 2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vinsueball
Thanks Joel..........but now I'm even more confused. When I got this bug it had drum brakes all round but it also had chrome inserts in the windscreen rubbers but no arm rests or straps. The motor in this unit is certainly a "B" prefix motor though.

It's pretty unusual to see a VW still with its factory engine after 45 years.
Yours just has a 67-70 Kombi engine fitted, no biggy.

Anyway your bug is the 1300 pov spec,
I had 2 very original 1300s and just had a look at the pics and both have chrome strips in the front and rear window rubbers but not the side windows.
Membervinsueball
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 15th, 2014 at 09:12 PM

Thanks again Joel, that would probably answer my confusion.

Hellbus, I'm just trying to get my bug running smoothly with what I've got at the moment. Having all kinds of fun acheiving that though. Car cranks OK with lots of battery power but won't fire up 2 out of 3 times. The time it does, it'll often just die on me. Even when I'm travelling at speed I'll just lose all power (as in electricity).....everything goes dead. Then suddenly it'll kick over again. Very disconcerting !!!!!!!!!! Had another distributor fitted a couple of weeks ago and it went really well after that...until last Sunday. At least it got me through my daughters wedding.

Go To Top