Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2775 | Total Replies: 42 | Thread Id: 110074 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  Incessant cutting out!
Memberpaslow22
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 20th, 2017 at 06:32 AM
Incessant cutting out

Hi.
It sounds like the problem I had, I purchased a new distributor and coil and leads kit and when fitted I went for a short drive 10 klms on the return trip it was a jerking drive home.

At home I just let it idle for a while and then it would just die I tried this a for 5 -6 times and it would do the same thing every time, die.
I went through all the tests and decided to put my old coil back on and it went fine, after a test drive no further problems, all good.

I contacted the seller (Rod) and the coil was replaced (CB) it has run fine ever since.

It was just a faulty coil.

Hope it helps

Darryl
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 191

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on September 20th, 2017 at 07:33 AM

I can believe that, what is it with quality these days (I sound like a right old git!) my first VW was only 2 years old when I got it in 74, my dad bought it new and the battery was still going strong in 88 when I emigrated and had never been on charge and that was with generators not alternators, now you're lucky to get two years from one! I had never had a dodgy coil until about 10 years back now I've had about 6 as for condensors I've lost count but at least they're cheap. China has a lot to answer for.
MemberACE76
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: ACE 30 FOR SALE!

posted on September 20th, 2017 at 11:00 AM

If the power TO the coil cuts out (sometimes) when turning over (or running), the contacts in the ignition switch (behind the key/barrel) are faulty.

ACE 30 & ACE 40 oil: specially formulated for your Air Cooled Engine...
Delivery free Outer Eastern Melb. & Dandenong Ranges.
from$19 for 2.5L (spot-on for 1 fill, re-use bottle to measure), or $29 for 5L (2 fills)
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 20th, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Just checked the switch wiring and all is OK, the switch btw is also pretty new and I also have a spare! Methinks it's time to get yet another condenser and if all is still f*cking up then coil will be the last thing to replace.
MemberACE76
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 20th, 2017 at 02:43 PM

The condenser needs to "match" to the coil (and other components).
[And the coil to ITS circuit/supply... eg. You can't use a coil designed for a resistor in the primary circuit, in a car which doesn't have the(correct value) resistor -- or vice-versa.] The coil may be overloaded, or the condenser fail (probably more likely than the coil -- but coils can play up too).
Repeated condenser (capacitor) failure may suggest something is wrong or mis-matched. We are going through a similar hunt-down of regularly failing capacitors at the moment, where everything seems correct (points , coil, HT leads, resistor etc.) but the condensers (slowly!) fail approx. 12 monthly (very rarely driven car) -- I'm now starting to suspect a bad batch of Bosch capacitors GB530 made in somewhere called, what was it? oh, "Germany", wherever that is.

from$19 for 2.5L (spot-on for 1 fill, re-use bottle to measure), or $29 for 5L (2 fills)
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on September 22nd, 2017 at 03:20 PM

I've seen a faulty tacho give an intermittent cut out. If you have one try disconnecting the trigger wire from the points side of the coil and see how you go. Goog luck. Tony.

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2017 at 12:59 PM

No tacho :( I have done everything I can think of other than removing the fuel tank to clean it out but I feel it's a dodgy condenser even though I have just replaced it, cheap chinese product probably. If it were fuel starvation (pump cutting out/blocked filter /blocked jets) I would expect the engine stuttering,revving up before stopping but this is just nothing.Silence. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and it starts up again, goes for a while then stops again,very frustrating.
MemberACE76
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 24th, 2017 at 06:33 PM

Failing Condensor often plays up when warm or hot. But Works when cold. Check WHEN Playing Up as decribed before ("big" spark at points, or just pull lead off + side of coil, if points closed).

Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 24th, 2017 at 09:13 PM

It was the condenser last time so new one was bought and fitted but that one now looks like it could be dodgy (see previous remark re - crap chinese made!) New one ordered.
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 18th, 2017 at 10:37 AM

Well my apologies to the Chinese, it now seems that because I converted it to carb from FI I kept the fuel tank evaporative condensing system in place complete with the carbon canister etc, I removed the fuel pump (I have a couple of spares) but when I disconnected the pipe from the tank to the pump with the intention of draining the tank to check that out hardly any fuel came out, then in the boot to remove the tank I just pulled off one of the pipes (there's 5 other than the filler pipe!) I heard the hiss and then fuel running out over the floor! Somebody did mention this somewhere but I always think I know better :( Now I know where my son gets it.
MemberBone

No Avatar

Threads: 43

posted on October 18th, 2017 at 01:37 PM

Hey Barry hows that son of yours EJ22 going? Maybe its time for a EJ22 in your manx so you too can have reliability, power and good fuel economy! Lol.
Memberancientbugger
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 18th, 2017 at 04:09 PM

The manx is going fine with the type 4 engine :) Mick went through Ringtail yesterday giving the Baja a run out and didn't break anything. The convertible had been going fine until this episode reared its ugly head again but I seem to find new and surprising ways to stop VWs. Mick told me your Baja was up on the hoist again.
MemberBone

No Avatar

Threads: 43

posted on October 18th, 2017 at 04:27 PM

PPPPFFFTTT. The day I bought a hoist was the day I stopped crawling under cars like a mutt! I use it for every thing! My Baja doesn't stop Barry, Its Subi powered! LOL
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top