Membermynicknamerocks
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 25th, 2016 at 09:25 PM
New member, longtime vw fan

Hi everyone, Simon here.

I'm joining in somewhat unfortunate circumstances. My father, Malcolm, passed away a couple of months ago. Dad and I both loved VW, in his garage is a '15 Touareg V8 TDI R line (dad's daily), MK IV golf R (mum's daily), 62 Ghia and 66 type 1.

At the most recent day of the Volkswagen, Dad entered the Ghia and won best in class, it was the Porsche Polar Silver one with red leather and 911 style fan if anyone saw it. That car was Dad's pride and joy, a 60th birthday present that took about 14 months to build, full bare metal respray, new interior, the works... He was only able to enjoy it for about 12 months.

Dad kindly gifted me the type 1, which was my first car (I had it resprayed, new interior, etc...) but when it became impractical, I sold it to Dad who owned it for the last 10 or so years.

Mum is going to keep the Ghia and I hope to attend plenty of shows and events with her as a tribute to Dad. I'm now the caretaker of Dad's VW legacy and I want to do what I can to help Mum enjoy the car as much as Dad did. I took Mum to the servo tonight to put some petrol in the Ghia, she loves the looks and people who ask about the car.

I'm concerned about the driveablility of the Ghia however, and this question may be better suited to a new thread but I'll ask away nonetheless.

The Ghia has a 2276 in it with 48 IDF's and a C95 cam. The clutch is heavy-ish, and the throttle response is insane (breathing on the throttle flares the engine to 2K RPM in an instant), second gear and up is fine but getting off the line with a small friction point and the crazy throttle response is difficult, it doesn't like low revs either, which makes first gear a necessary evil when at roundabouts and the like. It's also a pain in reverse, lots of clutch slip and finesse is needed. Basically I'm worried mum wont enjoy or be able to get used to it. Although Mum drives an R, she doesn't have a heavy right foot.

The beetle has a 1000km 1835 in it, twin solex carbs, mild cam (unsure which one) and what feels like a stock clutch. It's much easier to drive.

I'm taking both cars to the mechanic next week and I'll discuss the options with him, but I'm considering an engine swap at this stage. The Ghia has a bergmann fan on it, painted to match the car. My thought at this stage is to swap the 1835 and 2276, keep the exhaust and cooling system on each car and just do the 'guts' of the motors. Is this going to be an issue? I suppose the alternative is to build a new 1600/1776 for the Ghia with a mild cam, smaller carbs, lighter clutch.

I appreciate any input you guys and gals can provide. Dad wasn't really involved in the scene much as he was very private, but he loved going to shows and checking out what everyone was up to with their air cooled cars. Dad's next project was a Kombi, that will be my next project now.

Dad was a VW man from the start, his first car was a white '66 type 1, with red vinyl interior, identical to the the aforementioned car I bought as my first. He helped me build that car, I'm eternally grateful for that, and for him generously gifting it to me.

I look forward to meeting you all at shows and cruises, and hearing the symphony of a group of air cooled VW's, a sound Dad loved and described as a 'lawnmower on steroids'.

I appreciate your input.

Simon.
Membermynicknamerocks
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 25th, 2016 at 09:32 PM

I can't get the rest of my post to post :(
Membergrinderman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 50

posted on June 26th, 2016 at 08:59 AM

Hi Simon, sorry about your dads passing he sounded like a good man instilling his passion for VWs onto you.
You may have to continue your post with a reply and a couple of pics with the families rides is always well received.
With a bit of work the ghia could be detuned with a more subtle set up and I guess even an auto conversion is possible for really easy driveability.
Keep us posted
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on June 26th, 2016 at 09:20 AM

Yeah, sad loss for you.

Be great to see you touring with your mum. Might be as simple as a better accelerated linkage and pressure plate and clutch change
Membermynicknamerocks
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 26th, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies and condolences, I managed to edit my post, seems I had an invalid character in there... here are some pictures taken at the day of the Volkswagen 2105. I'll get some pictures of the beetle up shortly.

A simple clutch and accelerator linkage would be much easier than an engine swap or new engine! I know very little about VW autos, certainly something to consider. I know one thing for certain, the quick shift must go!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on June 26th, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Welcome Simon. Nice car, and taking over looking after the cars is a good way to remember your Dad.
Keep the pictures coming.
All the best, Rob.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI

Go To Top