Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1569 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 112594 ]
Author: Subject:  Fibreglass Bodies For Beetles?
MemberDavid Rayner
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 28th, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Fibreglass Bodies For Beetles?

I've always thought beetles and beach buggies were cool but I've never owned one until just the other week, when a friend said I could have his '68 or '69 beetle at a very good price so I took it. It was a project he's come to realize he'll never get to and doesn't want to see it rust away to nothing. I've only had a cursory look at it and it seems OK. It's been in his yard for the last 3 years. There is some rust that I can see but I have no idea how much there might be that I can't. It has a 4 into 1 exhaust and twin Webers.

Now, to keep it as a beetle or make it into a beach buggy? I know very little about VWs per se, other than the basics that any car enthusiest would know. I can restore a body as I was once a spray painter, as is my brother who owns a panel beating shop. That said, I'd rather just buy a 'glass body and bolt it on so that makes me lean towards a buggy but I still like beetles. Does anyone make a 'glass beetle body? I also like hot rods and you can buy 'glass bodies for Fords from 1923 to '40 in roadster, coupe, Vicky, tudor, etc. It occurs to me that if VWs have such a cult following, surely someone would be making 'glass bodies.

If they do, I'd probably toss a coin but if not, I'd really have to think about whether I want to restore the steel body.
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: BUSted, BUGgered & NOTCHed

posted on July 1st, 2017 at 10:18 PM

There were glass bodies sold in the UK and the US in the early Nineties, I've seen adverts in old mags. Can't say I've seen them here but would not be suprised if some have been made.

[size=5]DUBS BY THE RIVER2021[/size] Morgan SA - Sept 18-19 2021

Currently suffering from delusions of sanity!
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on July 1st, 2017 at 10:20 PM

be aware if they did make it here you would probably have a hard time registering in nsw as they would be classed as icv. find one that has been used before and is in the system.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png

Go To Top