MemberRosscoe
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 14th, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Oil Leak (Massive)

Hi VW gurus.

I have a 1975 Kombi, recently I had a new (recon) engine fitted. It is now a 1916cc, mild cam and twin webbers. It has only been driven for a 140klms.

I started it one morning to show our son the new engine only to have him yell to shut the engine down as it had dumped most of the oil on to our garage floor, it had only been idling for no more than 15 seconds. The engine is covered by warranty, I took a video of the oil still dripping down from between the engine and bell housing and forwarded it to the engine builder.

I explained to him the start up procedure. He replied that he would put money on the oil cooler has let go in some way and the only way this could happen is if I over revved it when cold, this I DID NOT do.

My questions to you guys is, has anyone had this happen to them, isnt the oil pressure relief valve supposed to prevent this from happening anyway. The car will be going back soon to be checked, I just want to be armed with information just in case.
I was very impressed with this engine builder, he took time to explain everything that he was going to do when I contracted him to build the engine for me and do not have any issues with him at all.

Just a little disappointed in this issue after only 140klms. Sorry for the long winded post, and thank you for reading.
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on August 14th, 2017 at 03:20 PM

Well, lucky it happened in the shed and you got it shut off. Saves you a lot of trouble, and saves your engine builder a lot of warranty money, so don't let him forget just how lucky he's been.
You don't say if it's Type 1, presume it is. External oil filter or cooler?
Something has blown, not necessarily your fault, perhaps an oil pressure relief valve has jammed, or perhaps it's just a random failure?
The rear seal could have popped out, the cam shaft end plug popped out, an oil gallery plug came out (not tapped & plugged with a threaded plug), oil cooler split, oil cooler rubber popped out?
Perhaps the crank gland nut split and let the flywheel go, that happens.
Come back and let us know, we're all interested.
Good luck
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
MemberRosscoe
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 14th, 2017 at 03:45 PM

Thank you for your reply Tony, I am VERY new to VW's, and really have no idea, If it was an old Holden or Ford I would have a much better idea, If what I saw had happened to an old Falcon I would have said it was the rear main seal gone only by where I saw the oil leaking from, have experienced that before. It will be taken back on a tilt tray and I will certainly let you guys know what the outcome is. I dont think the builder will give me a hard time, as I said before I was and am impressed with the way he does business. Wish me luck lol.......
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on August 14th, 2017 at 08:01 PM

Gooday Rosscoe

Where are you located have you talked with the engine builder and are they willing to FIX

VW engine area lot different to Ford or Holdens takes someone with good experience to FIX correctly

MemberRosscoe
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 14th, 2017 at 09:32 PM

Yes i have spoken to him and it will be delivered back to him to be checked out.
Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on August 16th, 2017 at 12:37 PM

If the cooler had blown then the entire left side of the engine should have been covered in oil and not just leaking from the bellhousing. If just from the bellhousing then oil gallery, flywheel seal or cam plug let go.

It should also be a dual relief case to be able to protect the oil cooler. Early single relief cases only regulate oil pressure so could theoretically blow the cooler when revved whilst cold. Also, if the case bore or piston where scored then either one of the valves could have stuck but it'd be the pressure relief one to stick for pressure to build enough to blow a seal.

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:

Go To Top