Memberhappyoldhippy
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 30th, 2023 at 01:03 PM
1960 type 1 indicator stalk on steering wheel

g'day, beetle lovers..
I have had the blinker assembly come loose on the steering column of my '60 type 1.. after tightening it up, I now have no right blinker! the left blinker works fine.. (coincidentally?.) my oil light isn't working.. NB there isn't an oil problem and the sender unit wire is in place..
question: is the fuse for the oil light bulb and the right blinker the same one? sounds crazy, but why would I lose these two functions the same day? what do you think? (thanks in anticipation..)
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on May 30th, 2023 at 03:59 PM

The problem wont be a fuse, the blinker wire may have slipped out of the connector or the wire is broken. The oil light is most likely the sender unit or may be the globe, take the wire off the switch and touch it to the crankcase with the ignition on, if the globe lights it is the switch most likely the globe.
Memberhappyoldhippy
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

posted on May 30th, 2023 at 09:52 PM

thanks, Grumble..
I've since determined that the little festoon bulb for the oil light had blown.. and it's not easy to find a replacement! (I've ordered a few online..
Your other point is worth pursuing ie one of the wires from the indicator assembly on the steering column could be broken (it's all 63 years old and never been replaced!)
I've been driving this beetle since 1990 and it's never happened before.. I can't complain.. (I could buy a whole new unit, but they're about $330!!)
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on June 2nd, 2023 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by happyoldhippy
thanks, Grumble..
I've since determined that the little festoon bulb for the oil light had blown.. and it's not easy to find a replacement! (I've ordered a few online..
Your other point is worth pursuing ie one of the wires from the indicator assembly on the steering column could be broken (it's all 63 years old and never been replaced!)
I've been driving this beetle since 1990 and it's never happened before.. I can't complain.. (I could buy a whole new unit, but they're about $330!!)

I assume that it is still 6 volt, I may still have some globes if you need them. Most good auto electrician business that has been around for a while usually carries them and there are a lot of VW suppliers who still carry them too.

Go To Top