Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1126 | Total Replies: 13 | Thread Id: 23643 ]
Author: Subject: Cost of a 4-6 point cage for a beetle?
MemberDannyboy
Veteran Volks Folk
half man , half horse

Threads: 357

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: about 2" off the floor

posted on May 29th, 2004 at 07:59 PM
Cost of a 4-6 point cage for a beetle?

What cage do most people fit into beetle and how much are they and where do i get one.

Thanks Dan:)

"If i had to explain you wouldnt understand"

The Lower Class
Membergayanne
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Mood: Pure Tubular Adrenalin Subie Power

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 12:40 AM
Dan, approved cams 6point rollcage will cost around 5000dollars,ijust put a new one in my car 2004racetech cage the best.John Burke engineering Cobbity does these cages.JVLRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyboy67
What cage do most people fit into beetle and how much are they and where do i get one.

Thanks Dan:)
MemberDannyboy
Veteran Volks Folk
half man , half horse

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 01:13 PM

Say again , $5000 !

Dan:)

The Lower Class
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Mood: (( }:-{D]

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 01:48 PM

Hey dan what are u intending to do with your car, with all the posts u've been doing lately? Going to turn into a race car :) sounds coool :)

Jon
MemberDannyboy
Veteran Volks Folk
half man , half horse

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 02:48 PM

I wouldn't say race car but definatly some drag styling and a nice hot motor and box. get the Erco's soon!

The Lower Class
Memberwacked1
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 302

Mood: naked

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 02:57 PM

if you are serious about this, i know a guy who does engine conversions tubs cages, etc who is very reasonably priced, a 4pt cage should cost in the vicinity of 450-$500 and a 6pt 600-$700.
Ron
check u2u

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN DAKED
don't worry it's a VW thing
Membergayanne

No Avatar

posted on May 30th, 2004 at 09:44 PM

]Dan, the cage cost 5000dallors and cams approved and done proffesionally.If you decide to race serious in cams events you will need to do it properly.Their are people that are cheaper but be careful of the welds no crimping,tieing points of the cage to floor sections to the body.Best that you buy a cams rule book.I know this sounds alot of money but do it the wright way,if you do it wrong it will cost you JVLRacing goodluck

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by gayanne]
Memberfullnoise
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 103

Mood: Middle of the road.

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 05:35 PM

You don't need a rollcage for single car speed events. My cage is not approved by Cams. But I said to one of the Hillclimb officials who grumbled about my cage that "The cage is okay on the car's engineers certificate but it is not Cams approved. So do you think it would be safer if I removed it?" He let me race with the cage in. After that Cams approved my cage as a non-approved cage.

I got it out of the trading post and it cost one less zero than JVLs. Mind you I'd rather have a cage like JVLs. I'd feel a lot safer with it than the factory 1956 crash protection.

CYA CT

esratrams
Membershiftyvw
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 06:45 PM

Drags or circuit? different rules apply
Membergayanne

No Avatar

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fullnoise
You don't need a rollcage for single car speed events. My cage is not approved by Cams. But I said to one of the Hillclimb officials who grumbled about my cage that "The cage is okay on the car's engineers certificate but it is not Cams approved. So do you think it would be safer if I removed it?" He let me race with the cage in. After that Cams approved my cage as a non-approved cage.

I got it out of the trading post and it cost one less zero than JVLs. Mind you I'd rather have a cage like JVLs. I'd feel a lot safer with it than the factory 1956 crash protection.

CYA CT
Text[size=1]Text[/size]Text[size=1]Hello CT,You will find that cams officials will be alot harder on cages that have been not approved.Alevel 3 official Roy Goodman has told me this and at all state championships only cams approved cages can enter .CT leave the cage in safer to have one than none.5000 sounds alot ,for the sake of saftey and the proffesional hours of workits worth it.For a road car or racecar i would spend that much again,the cage looks fatand the welds just cant explain.John Burke engineering has worked on GT3 Porsche cup cars V8s Super car etc and helped me on my car.For 5000saftey sake drive fast and live longer.Thanks JVLRacing[/size]

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by gayanne]
Memberfullnoise
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 103

Mood: Middle of the road.

posted on June 1st, 2004 at 08:11 AM

I'll have a good look at your cage next time I see that work of art of yours JVL. Your cage acts as a chassis too doesn't it?

PS I watched a video of you and I racing at the drags. You went easy on me didn't you? I saw you racing Dave Becker and you went a lot faster.

What was your best time on the day?

CYA CT

esratrams
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on June 1st, 2004 at 08:35 AM

Thats one question I have always had, if the cage is designed to cams specs but built and installed at home will it be rejected for racing? I would be interested to know if cams took the line that unless a cage was professionally built it is better having no cage?

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!
Membergayanne

No Avatar

posted on June 1st, 2004 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fullnoise
I'll have a good look at your cage next time I see that work of art of yours JVL. Your cage acts as a chassis too doesn't it?

PS I watched a video of you and I racing at the drags. You went easy on me didn't you? I saw you racing Dave Becker and you went a lot faster.

What was your best time on the day?

CYA CT
Text[size=1]Hi CT, the cars handling was like a shopping trolley all 3 runs .I never ran the car hard due to this ,it needs a bit of sorting out even getting a 13.4 (in third gear) and backing of on the 660foot mark at this point Dave was doing 8.475 and i was 8.441the came very dangerous.Iwould expect the car to do 10s or 11s maybe.Ihad a great time CT just getting bum in seat.The cage does act like a chassis ,next time we meet up have a look then compare the difference in quality with others.Good talking JVLRacing [/size]
Memberno slow 63
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 16

Mood: Mentally ill

posted on June 1st, 2004 at 09:49 AM

What times are you intending on running? Unless you are running in the 11's you wont need a cage. Having a cage will only add weight and slow you down, but for safety reasons it is a good idea to have one.
Don't use an alloy one either. Get an ANDRA rule book and make sure the cage you get suits their specs.

Drag racing has nothing to do with CAMS.
Membergayanne

No Avatar

posted on June 1st, 2004 at 05:59 PM
HI slow63, the car is a sportsedan not a drag car and the rules are different for both drags and circuit .300hp under700kgsJVLRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by no slow 63
What times are you intending on running? Unless you are running in the 11's you wont need a cage. Having a cage will only add weight and slow you down, but for safety reasons it is a good idea to have one.
Don't use an alloy one either. Get an ANDRA rule book and make sure the cage you get suits their specs.

Drag racing has nothing to do with CAMS.
MemberDannyboy
Veteran Volks Folk
half man , half horse

posted on June 2nd, 2004 at 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the info. Now know where to go when i'm getting real serious about things.
I'm looking at this as more of a more " entry level" to drag racing and a bit of fun. Used at pay and run nights , shows etc. It will only be a 2.1 motor and c/r box in a full weight 67 bug so times won't be that low.
As the cage goes for now i just want abit more safety and a new look for the car. I've managed to sort something out for now and if things get really serious i'll invest in a full cage for sure. Thanks again

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by dannyboy67]

The Lower Class

Go To Top