Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 854 | Total Replies: -2 | Thread Id: 23794 ]
Author: Subject: cross posted everywhere...
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: addicted

posted on June 2nd, 2004 at 05:32 PM
cross posted everywhere...

Hey guys, I've posted this on some overseas and non-VW communities, so thought I'd just copy and paste it in here, enjoy!

Before:
http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/dominicalis/before.jpg
After:
http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/dominicalis/after.jpg
Well, it's done (excuse the shitty $30 webcam come digital camera), my final IRS trailing arm mount is in, gussetted and seam welded and I'm happy.

For anyone who is interested; this chassis is going under the body of a 1961 beetle, it (the chassis) started life as a 1970 swingaxle/balljoint item. If I were in the US or Germany this would give me IRS by default rather than the woeful swingaxle, however here in Aus, only our Superbugs and Type III's came with IRS and since are both incompatible with an early king and link pin/singaxle body my only option was to convert the rear of the balljoint item to take the IRS set-up.

The trailing arms are just a pivot point, so are half seam and half tacked on, however I have seam welded and gussetted mine since I will be doing the same to my frame horns anyway.

So, next up is to flip over the chassis, clean up underneath, seam and gussett the brackets from the underside, then install the solid buggie trans mounts which will bring the engine and 'box 3 inches further towards the centre of the car.

Cheers,
Cam

P.S. Had a freak out last night since I thought one of the mounts was 5 mm out, but turns out I just needed glasses and a freshly awakened mind to view it with.

Go To Top