MemberBenwa Bluebug
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy

sad.gif posted on August 3rd, 2004 at 11:47 AM
Need Help Lowering My 1970 Beetle

How do I lower my 1970 beetle ? It has been already lowered by removing something but the front still sits too high. What can I do ?:cry:cry Note that it is just the front end I want to lower a bit more. This is due to the fact that it has 135r15's and the gaurd sits about 2inches above the tyre please help. I have grave concerns about the option of cutting into the axle for hieght adjusters?:cry

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Benwa Bluebug]
MemberResto64
Custom Title Time!
Jack of all, master of none

Threads: 102

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Nucking Futs

posted on August 23rd, 2004 at 09:41 PM

the best way i have heard is to use drop spindles for the front as they maintain the original ride feel but they ain't cheap !!!
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: feeling fine...

posted on August 24th, 2004 at 03:33 PM

Squeeze a few fat (I mean 'heavy') "little people" under the bonnet when you're cruising for that desired ride height. Sure it will add to the front end weight and affect the handling characteristics of your car but it is cheap (as long as you don't have to pay the "little people" too much to do it.

Bags of cement could do in exchange in case these rediculous antidiscrimination laws don't permit you to use "little people" for such personal gain purposes.

Just a thought.

[Edited on 24-8-2004 by Dasdubber]

MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: feeling fine...

posted on August 24th, 2004 at 03:39 PM

Okay seriously now, your options are:

1) Dropped spindles - no modifications to your beam, downside is hurt experienced by your wallet. Maintains suspension geometry which results in a nicer ride. Not adjustable.

2) Removing some of the leaf springs (if thats what they are called) from the front beam then reinstalling the trailing arms. Downside is it is dangerous and suspension may bottom out earlier with poorer ride. Adjustable (sort of) but not recommended.

3) Putting weight in the front as discussed above - not recommended as well due to loading up your skinny 135s with such weight is not a great idea for cornering or stopping quickly.

4) Cutting and turning the centre of your beam - downside is your beam is modified and if you don't get the position right you have to cut it again and turn it some more. Cheap if you can weld (but again not recommended if you're not proficient - don't want the centre of your beam falling out down the freeway do we).

5) Welding in centre adjusters - beam is modified again but now you can dial in the ride height which is your biggest concern by the sound of things. Not too exy to have done.

Best solution - dropped spindles and adjusters....but most expensive of course.

hope that helps, all else fails go with the heavy little people - at least you'd have a conversation piece at the shows or at service stations stops for re-fueling ;)

Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on September 10th, 2004 at 01:42 PM

just a thought, are dropped spindles legal over here?

adjusters would be fine without them as long as the car is not driven at ridiculously low height everyday.:)

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 

Go To Top