Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 817 | Total Replies: 9 | Thread Id: 75551 ]
Author: Subject:  What can I expect to pay? '68 onwards....
MemberOzSpeedway
Casual Dubber

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on March 24th, 2009 at 11:00 PM
What can I expect to pay? '68 onwards....

To say that I am shocked at what Bugs are fetching these days is an understatement but then I realised that alot of them are now over 40 years old.

Although I am a Ford man now I have always had a soft spot for The Peoples Car so, as posted in the new members forum, I plan to get one to mildly modify for a "play" car. I have sort of set my mind on a '68 or later to get IRS but that is as far as I have got.

I rang the Beetle Exchange in Canberra today and asked them what they wanted for a unregistered '68+ beetle and they told me anywhere from $1800 to $3000 depending on condition. I was a bit taken aback when I heard this as I am used to dirt cheap E series Falcons. I mean I picked up a whole 98 EL wagon with rear end damage for $400.00 and transferred everything except the doors into my ED wagon (which BTW, I paid $450.00 for).

So I need a reality check on what to expect in the VW Beetle world and would appreciate some advice.

Cheers
Memberkombivw
A.k.a.: David
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 04:47 AM

I think your best bet is to do an Ebay search on beetles. That way you can see prices people pay. If you are registered u can save searches . I am sure its possible to get one for around a grand but you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Also keep your eyes out for bugs in peoples yards. Thats how I got mine. I just left a note in the guys letterbox and we striked a price up, that we were both happy with.

Memberdesh
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 82

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: 1965 1200 Beetle.

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 05:41 AM

I took a while to come to my Beetle and have been looking for another car for a friend that does not use the internet,

from what I can see, and please correct me if I am wrong here but:

$2000 and under is going to buy you a real project car, rust, dents, mechanical issues, unregistered.

$2500-$3500 will get you something reasonable, maybe some rust issues, nothing major, although still costs $$$ to fix, what you would call an average example.

$4000-$6000 should get a pretty clean example, with only a few small issues.

$8000 should net you a mint example that has been lovingly looked after and cared for since new.

Sure there are exceptions to these, but I think that is a rough guide to go by.

--------------------------
Kind Regards
Des
Memberkombivw
A.k.a.: David
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 06:02 AM

Sounds right. As I said tho, use EBay to see prices people pay as a guide. I dont say use EBay. But always a good idea to keep your options open, as can sometimes get a last minute bargain if you wait to place a bid in dying seconds. I personally avoid EBay and look in forums like this for things.

MemberOzSpeedway
Casual Dubber

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 08:28 AM

Thanks guys, still a bit surprised.

My aim is to find a beetle that needs work. I am not one to shy away from work and am quite prepared to get in the thick of it, many years of building offroad race cars has prepared me for that. This will be a long term project and for all I know that car may end up in my daughters hands (she's 10 now)! I have learnt from my Ford projects that it is cheaper to buy a spares car than to buy pieces however in the beetle world I wouldn't say no to car without engine etc.

Going on prices, I have an ebay search in place. One of the cars that came back with this mornings search is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270363351785&ss...

So, from what you're saying, the $4K buy it now price is reasonable for a car like this? Hail damage, peeling clear, ripped seats etc etc

Cheers
Bruce
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Dont be in a rush. Your better waiting for the right car otherwise you could be paying way too much for a POS. Way better off with a good base at the right money. Something like a semi auto for $1500, irs, german body etc and then set up what you want with it, or a half built project is often a good starter. My 2c

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberOzSpeedway
Casual Dubber

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Dont be in a rush. Your better waiting for the right car otherwise you could be paying way too much for a POS. Way better off with a good base at the right money. Something like a semi auto for $1500, irs, german body etc and then set up what you want with it, or a half built project is often a good starter. My 2c

matberry, that is sort of my plan. I am no hurry at the moment, have a whole bunch of Ford stuff to get rid off so I have space for the Dub. The wagon shell I spoke of needs suspension so the scrap guy can take it away.

At this point I am compiling a list of what I want to do with this little car and in what possible order. 90% of the work will be done by me with only painting and possibly engine work farmed out. In my minds eye I see something akin to the work done by 66deluxe or stenguns with the whole project taking a year or more. I would much prefer an unregistered car because it would be a waste of rego and they are (or should be) generally cheaper than a reg'd one. The only firm requirement would be IRS as I had enough of swingaxel's when I was racing offroad......

You mentioned a semi auto as an example, can they be converted back to full manual without too many problems? These type of little things I need to get to know so I can make an educated decision when the time comes.

Cheers
Bruce
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 03:55 PM

if your shocked at beetle prices be glad your not looking for a split screen kombi

these days the ones that go for less $6000 most sane people would send to the crushers :crazy:
seriously, project ones are lucky to be found for under $5k
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 04:00 PM

ohyeah semi autos are easily converted to manual
the only hard part is the earlier ones often didnt have the cnoduit for the clutch cable in the central tunnel and fitting that is a right royal pain in the arse
MemberOzSpeedway
Casual Dubber

posted on March 25th, 2009 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
if your shocked at beetle prices be glad your not looking for a split screen kombi

these days the ones that go for less $6000 most sane people would send to the crushers :crazy:
seriously, project ones are lucky to be found for under $5k

Nope, not quite that insane :) Not really a fan of the buses anyway...

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
ohyeah semi autos are easily converted to manual
the only hard part is the earlier ones often didnt have the cnoduit for the clutch cable in the central tunnel and fitting that is a right royal pain in the arse

Cool, no probs. Am toying with the idea of hydraulic clutch anyway :)

Go To Top