Author: Subject:  Carpet... how to!
MemberGangel
Commited Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on January 6th, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Carpet... how to!

Hey pplz,

Ive redone my interior dash and door panels of my 68 beetle and ive ripped all carpet out (was TOTALLY manky and dead!!)

I no want to replace the carpet but dont ahve the cash for a trimmer.

My dads really handy and is going to help out (im 25) and although we can get it to size and fit it... how do we get the sides nice and trimmer?

I was planning to use marine carpet (red and blue, my cars colour theme) as its more durable.

Am i on the right track?
Super Moderator65busser
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 224

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: dakked

posted on January 7th, 2011 at 09:14 AM

I might be able to help. What do you mean by getting the sides 'nice and trimmer'?
Cheers
Brad

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on January 7th, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Honestly save your self a fortune, if you've done door panels you can do carpet.

I'm far from a professional upholsterer but I redid my entire interior except my front seats and the carpet was the easiest.

Just go to an upholsterer find a carpet you like (I went with mazda carpet) get how much you need and get cutting.
I used my old carpet as a template but if you have chucked yours out you could used cardboard or similar to get the shape.

I think I used 2meters at 1.8wide to do inside, the abit more to do my sub box and in the boot.

Once you get all pieces cut you can get it edged by an upholstry shop
Mine didnt show up that much so I only had the carpet kick panels on the bottom of the doors edged

needs a good clean but you get the idea, think it took about $50-60 worth of carpet all up but that was nearly 10 years ago.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv328.jpg
MemberGangel
Commited Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on January 7th, 2011 at 08:08 PM

lol joel u must be stalking me!!

If only there was a "thanks" button on this forum coz i owe u a few!! ahha

Thanks also to 65busser, im in WA and ur eastern states so i think the distance is going to be the issue here!

Im happy cutting and stuff, by saying "'nice and trimmer", i actually ment "edged" which was the word i was not able to think of.

Im aiming to do dark blue (probably marine carpet) as carpet throughout the whole bug and then make 2 front carpet mats and 2 tiny rear carpet mats of deep red marine.

Do u think marine carpet is going to be too .... dense and gross.

I did know if i would be able to source "good value-cheap" coloured motor carpet without being ripped off

Go To Top