Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 8027 | Total Replies: 79 | Thread Id: 89893 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  Baja on road performance.
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on April 27th, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baghall
OK, how do you set the toe in/out of the rear wheels as I will need to do this once the new gearbox is installed.
Sorry for the highjack Fueldup.

Thanks Smiley, too easy.
Back to you fueldup!:lol:

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gizzo
ive got a ea 81 suby powerd baja with a 71 type 3 irs and running 28 inch rears. rpm is 2800 at 100 kmh its not to bad on the road, but at 3000 rpm it seems to be the sweet spot for it . the five rib kombi sounds like the box i need ,can they be fitted in the beetle arse end or can i modify the box ive got. im a bit in the dark when it comes to vw gearbox combinations

If 3000RPM is the sweet spot and that where you want it to sit on the highway then that's cool. Are you going to stick with the 28" tyres?

I just punched your combination into my gear calculator and got -
3188 RPM at 100km/h with a 5-rib and 28" tyres.
3078 RPM at 100km/h with a 5-rib and 29" tyres.
2976 RPM at 100km/h with a 5-rib and 30" tyres.
And same as the previous post
2880 RPM at 100km/h with a 5-rib and 31" tyres.

If you want you car up at those REVs I would recommend running a 3-rib Kombi with 31" tyres, This gets your Revs at 2970 at 100km/h. BUT, compared to the 5-rib 1st, 2nd and 3rd are lower ratios in the 3-rib. This is better for offroading.

The Kombi Box can be fitted to the rear or a Beetle. A number of places offer kits, or you could build your own. Some require a bodylift, others don't. With the EA81 you'll also have to make sure that your adapter plate/flywheel and starter all fit and work properly. The 3-rib is the smallest IRS Kombi box so you're going to have less trouble with it.

You will also have to modify your rear stub axles or buy some that accept the Kombi CV joint.

And yes, you can modify your Type 3 transaxle. But this will require a full rebuild, this isn't cheap. But the plus side is you can have it rebuilt stronger and with whatever ratios you want.

Smiley :cool:

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
MemberBone
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Hi Smiley, the gear calculator would be correct if a 31'x10;5'x15' tyre was actually 31' high! Have just finished installing the 1600 3 rib bus box in my baja and the the revs at 100km is 3300rpm. I also have the ea81 subi which seems to love the 3000rpm, so 100kms is no problem at all.
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bone
Hi Smiley, the gear calculator would be correct if a 31'x10;5'x15' tyre was actually 31' high! Have just finished installing the 1600 3 rib bus box in my baja and the the revs at 100km is 3300rpm. I also have the ea81 subi which seems to love the 3000rpm, so 100kms is no problem at all.

Yeah, to true Bone, I measured my 31's the other day....they were only 29". What gives !!!

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberBone

No Avatar

Threads: 43

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Mine too Matt. Please tell me your a little closer to a baja beach run !
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 28th, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bone

That means your tyre is closer to 28" diameter!
Maybe you'll have to buy some 33"s from the same company to get a 31".

It's a little bit annoying that a manufacturer can't build a tyre to the size they say it is, can't be that hard really? I haven't really gone to the trouble of measuring mine accurately yet. I suppose how much air you have in them will change your diameter too.

MemberFueldup
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 08:42 PM

Hey guys, I have been looking around at beetle bits and pieces and everything else that starts with vw and I was wondering about Baja fibreglass kits, does one size fit all or do you need different kits for different models ? I just can't imagine that the bodys didn't change a bit over all of those years.
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 08:49 PM

Believe it or not, the model of car doesn't matter for the baja kit (as long as it's not a super bug with strut front end, remember thier the ones not to build a baja from :lol:) There are different style kits though.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 09:23 PM

Remember though that a bug eye kit may be hard to get registered due to head lights being too close together, unless they are not mounted in the nose. Wide eye kits generally have the head lights mounted in the guards.

89 T3 Kombi - parts car
MemberFueldup
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 09:35 PM

Thanks Mat, yer I did find it a bit hard to believe and I am now well aware of the supers being a no go for a baja thanks to you guys, boy thats a long time in production for the same body with very little change.... Now I can keep shopping with confidence.
MemberFueldup
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 09:40 PM

Is it OK to still use the bug eye kits if you mount the lights wider eg under the guards or on a bar and whats the big deal with the lights being close together anyway ?
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 29th, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fueldup
Is it OK to still use the bug eye kits if you mount the lights wider eg under the guards or on a bar and whats the big deal with the lights being close together anyway ?

It's to do with the law about the distance between your front headlights. There is a measurement, but I have no idea how much it is. Most Bugeye fail, but there are some that are legal. It also depends what state you're in as different ones have different rules.

You could get away with having your headlights mount further apart on the front bar. Not sure if that would look very good though. I've also seen people running buyeye nose cone and bonnet with wide eye guards for 4 lights across the front, just put your spotlights in the middle with that setup.

Bugeye kits have a few advantages over the wide eye kits. They offer a better approach angle at the front of the car. They get the weight of the headlight off the guard which helps prevent cracking of the guard due to vibration. Also if the fibreglass is thin enough you can get headlight flicker as the flex back and forward. That being said If I had guards that thin I wouldn't put them on the car. Personally I prefer the look of the wide eye kit, and I have not had a single problem with cracking or headlight flicker. As long as you have nice thick guards and not some cheap shitty Baja kit you should have problems.
The Wide eye kits give you more room under the bonnet because the nose cone is bigger and you don't have headlight buckets poking in taking up room.

So at the end of the day all it really comes down your personal preference. What do you like best? Bugeye, wideeye or a hybrid of both?

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/smileyman1968/Picture436.jpg

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/smileyman1968/baja511.jpg

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/smileyman1968/521503.jpg

MemberFueldup
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 30th, 2011 at 07:46 AM

Thanks again Smiley, I have got to give you ten points for detail. I really like the look of that red Baja I thought the bug eyes would look a bit weird but that one looks really tough, nice. Well I guess it really doesn't matter which one I get because I could make either one work depending on where the lights are put .
MemberBaja Dan
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 15

posted on April 30th, 2011 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fueldup
Thanks Smiley, I know thats a rough guide and prices will vary I thought prices may have been higher. I will slap on my 50% just to be on the safe side.

I am looking on ebay, I spotted a fibreglass baja kit the other day for around $500.

Hi, If it is the yellow kit on ebay that is always on there I would not buy it. I have one of those kits and would recommend you look around for something else. I does not come with a engine cover and the bonnet does not have hinge plates on it. The only thing I am going to use off the kit will most likely be the nose cone. If you are down the Sunshine coast way you can come and have a look at the kit to see what it is like.
MemberFueldup
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 1st, 2011 at 06:47 AM

Hi Baja Dan, I have seen that one on ebay but I have also seen some others which are second hand for around that money, thanks for the warning I will steer clear of it.
MemberOberonViking
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Still thinking about my kombis

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Awesome thread. It is a true wealth of baja info.
Someone should make it a sticky.

1970 Baja - waiting in the paddock for some TLC.
Membergrinderman

Threads: 50

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 04:53 PM

Love the bajas. I've found with tyre diameter it is related to the size of rim its mounted on. A 31inch tyre will be 31inches in diameter if it is mounted on a 7inch wide rim but if you mount it on a 10inch rim it will be more like 29-30inches.
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 25th, 2011 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grinderman
Love the bajas. I've found with tyre diameter it is related to the size of rim its mounted on. A 31inch tyre will be 31inches in diameter if it is mounted on a 7inch wide rim but if you mount it on a 10inch rim it will be more like 29-30inches.

How does this work if the correct tyre width is used on the rim?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see it working in small amounts if say a narrow tyre is used on a ide rim and a wide tyre is used on a narrow rim, however, changes in inches seems a tad excessive.

89 T3 Kombi - parts car
Membergrinderman

Threads: 50

posted on May 26th, 2011 at 06:24 PM

When you mount the tyre on a narrower rim it is being 'tucked' in more and this raises the sidewall in my experience.
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 26th, 2011 at 07:04 PM

I understand that grinderman but I find it hard to believe it would be in the vicinity of inches and there are restrictions as to the sizes of tyres allowed on rim sizes.

89 T3 Kombi - parts car
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top