Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2727 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 90970 ]
Author: Subject:  About to buy.Pros/cons 2006 Golf Comfortline auto & 90TSI Trendline??
Membermitzidahlink
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 11th, 2011 at 12:38 AM
About to buy.Pros/cons 2006 Golf Comfortline auto & 90TSI Trendline??

Hi Veedub enthusiasts
I'm definitely buying a car tomorrow and am having last-minute vacillation about whether I should buy the 2nd hand Golf on which I've agreed a price with a private dealer. Am interested in feedback on the pros/cons of the model from experienced owners. I need to make a decision by 11am tomorrow!

It's a 2006 Golf 2L Comfortline FSI auto with leather upholstery. 43,000 kms. Independent mobile pre-purchase check by Statewide (these guys can only check to a limited extent, of course) said it was pretty sound, although they identified a noise in the front shocks/struts when braking & over bumps. Is this a known issue with this model? I'll be up for rego & in 3 months & prob 4 tyres too @ est $700 (only 10% left on 3). The private dealer has knocked $1K off and will accept $22K. Car had 4 services to date (none by VW), last was 14 months ago @ 33,000km, so overdue. Checked with servicing mechanic who confirms he's never changed the fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid or spark plugs, nor done a "major" service (est $980 if VW do it), which VW say should be done every 4th service, so that could be due if I believe them. VW recommend timing belt ($1400) be done at 4 yrs or 90K. Isn't that a bit over enthusiastic? This model doesn't have a lot of features that newer Golfs do (will cost me $400 to put an iPod connector from the radio to the glovebox and the radio in this model won't be able to show the track names). I'm on the verge of buying the 2006 comfortline, or a 2011 Golf 90TSI auto from Barlowworld which has only 7K on clock for $30K. It includes some of the comfortpack features (as all 90TSIs do now) & also has electric sunroof, which isn't important to me, so I'm paying $2K just because it's in the car. And I must say I really have an aversion to the particular cloth trim in the Trendline. But I get the new car warranty.

So what's the scuttlebut on the 2006 2L FSI Golf Comfortline? And the 2011 Golf 90TSI 1.4L turbo Trendline?

Grateful for honest opinions pronto!

Thanks everyone.

Mitzidahlink
Membergrinderman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 50

posted on June 11th, 2011 at 07:41 PM

I would honestly find the extra money and buy new. The service history of the comfortline sounds a bit sketchy and I know from experience that any warranty on a secondhand car is usually not worth the paper it is written on. Cant live with the cloth trim? sheepskin seat covers.....mmmm. The latest golfs were supposed to be designed to be easier to work on but I dont know if this is the case. Every new golf owner I've spoken to has loved their car so it would be my choice.
Membercesiumfrog
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 7

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on June 11th, 2011 at 08:04 PM

if you can find the extra money, go the 2011 1.4tsi....much better car.
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on June 11th, 2011 at 08:22 PM

You are better off asking over here

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forum.php 

or at least scouring the forum to see what is written

The Mk 5 was pretty good - but I did hear the FSI ran incredibly lean and had to have a remap of the puta to richen it up

At $22k I dont think it is a steal - lots on Carpoit with similar set ups for well under $20k
Yes - the kms are low, but that is not always a good thing
Both are REAL good cars - but I would go the newer

Futue te ipsum!!!
Membermitzidahlink
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 12th, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses which were cerainly prompt but, alas, too late to be taken into consideration before I did the deal (I only thought of joining the forum and asking the Q the night before I was due to do the deal at midday yesterday on the 2006).

So that's what I bought! No point having regrets, but I kinda wish I'd gone with the 2010 118TSI now, even if I do hate the trendline cloth trim. Oh well.

I'm sure the 2006 Comfortline will be fabulous anyway! Feels good to drive and I'll have VW service it next week so if there are any issues the dealer needs to address I'll have to depend on his good will. He was a reasonable guy and put a lot of extra work into detailing the car for me.

Cheers
Mitzidahlink:fakesniff:
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on June 12th, 2011 at 11:54 AM

well done

As long as you are happy :tu:

They are great cars - and yes, the leather is better than the cloth trim any day

Have a look at the new Addidas GTI trim
Reckon they only do it to get every one to upgrade to the leather

Futue te ipsum!!!
Membermitzidahlink
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 12th, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thanks, Bizarre.

Re your "The Mk 5 was pretty good - but I did hear the FSI ran incredibly lean and had to have a remap of the puta to richen it up" comment ...

The service history shows that the previous owner never had it serviced by VW. Who knows why (I know you often end up with apprentices at dealers anyway), so if there was some remapping work required on the onboard computer, it has probably never been done. A little research I did with VW service myself (using the VIN number), revealed that it was at a Sydney dealer only once, in 2007, to have wheel bearings replaced under warranty and a software update on the radio. So if this remapping was/is required, how do I find out about it, whether it might have been done during that 2007 visit and would it even be possible/relevant now all these years later?

FYI, I spoke with the autoshop that has done all 4 services to date (all within 10,000KM with no repairs recommended – which I suppose could also mean that, because they didn't do the recommended "inspection" services, only 4 x "oil change" ones instead – quite possibly on the instruction of the owner - they didn't pick up any other work that might have been necessary). They confirmed they've changed no filters except the fuel filter. As it's now at 43,000km and the last "oil change" service was 17 months ago @ 33,000km, it's definitely due for a service - probably a "major" one, which VW est at $980. (Pity the selling dealer didn't do it!) They've never changed the brake fluid either, recomm every 2 years in manual. So I could be up for plugs, all filters, brake fluid etc. etc.

VW service also said the timing belt (they est $1400) should be done at 4 years or 90,000. Obviously, they want you in their service door sooner and spending $ asap. Even the manual says only to check it at 90,000 and change it at 120,000 (I’m assuming that the timing belt is what VW call the “toothed” belt).

So, after all that detail …
1. How do I find out if the computer remapping is still required/beneficial and whether it’s even still possible all these years later?
2. Should I really do a “major” service every 4th service (eg now), or is that just VW trying to make some $ by getting people in sooner? (I know the best thing one can do for any car is to change the oil regularly, possibly even every 6 months).
3. Even if I take it to VW for a service now and have them do a “major” one (ouch!), if they find additional work is required, do you know what sort of things are covered by the 3-month/5000km statutory warranty? Getting that addressed by the selling “private” dealer might not be easy.
Yeah, maybe I should have gone with the 118TSI! But, honestly, I just wanted the deal done and I was completely over the whole car-purchase thing, having been looking for a month. Yesterday was the purchase deadline I’d set myself!

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mitzidahlink:blush:
Membermitzidahlink
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 12th, 2011 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
well done

As long as you are happy :tu:

They are great cars - and yes, the leather is better than the cloth trim any day

Have a look at the new Addidas GTI trim
Reckon they only do it to get every one to upgrade to the leather

I agree with you 100%, Bizarre, on that appalling GTI trim. Absolutely shock'n! You're right, VW are no doubt getting lots of leather business out of it!:lol:

Go To Top