Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3018 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 98397 ]
Author: Subject:  2.5 inch narrow link pin beam with 2.5 inch widened arms ?? any forseen...
MemberTHUDKNUCKLE
A.k.a.: James Stoodley
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Crazy

posted on August 16th, 2012 at 09:38 PM
2.5 inch narrow link pin beam with 2.5 inch widened arms ?? any forseen problems

Hey guys just after any wise words or oppinions on as stated above using a 2.5 inch narrowed link pin beam coupled to 2.5 inch widened aftermarket linkpin arms in order to gain more front end wheel travel ( mainly downwards travel ) and still keep the front end and tyres under a widened cheetah fender front end ? Any ideas or oppinions would be great

Love is a Rotary baja bug
Just be carefull :ninja:,, something dangerous is lurkin in My garage ready to burst out in a fit of Big Hp, high boost baja Rage .

http://groups.msn.com/GottaVW 
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on August 16th, 2012 at 09:49 PM

Widened arms aren't going to give you any more travel then standard arms. If you want more travel you need to go to longer front trailing arms.
If you want to run longer front trailing arms you are going to have to move your beam forward too. This usually means cutting the framhead off and extending it so the beam sits further forward by the same length that your new trailing arms are.
If you run longer trailing arms with the beam in the standard location it'll push your wheels back towards the A pillars and the tyres are going to rub. Unless you're running really small tyres which I certainly hope you aren't on a Baja :punk:

If the arms are 2.5 inchs wider each you will have to narrow the beam 5 inches not 2.5 inches. Because you have two arms.

Hope this helps mate.

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
MemberTHUDKNUCKLE
A.k.a.: James Stoodley
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 25

Mood: Crazy

posted on August 17th, 2012 at 09:19 AM

Thanks that was an awsome answer :)

Love is a Rotary baja bug
Just be carefull :ninja:,, something dangerous is lurkin in My garage ready to burst out in a fit of Big Hp, high boost baja Rage .

http://groups.msn.com/GottaVW 
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

posted on August 17th, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Actually smiley, wider will give you a bit more, but not if you narrow the beam. because the limiting factor is the steering arms hitting the chassis or the tierod ball joints. on there angle downwards, if they are wider the outside balljoint ends up lower. but not much.
If you want to stay under the gaurds. you'll get a better result by sectioning the frame head or going rack and pinion. there are heaps of mods that you can do to the stand beam/arms to get more travel, the 1600 class bajas in the statea are getting 10-12 inchs with standard arms, which is double standard
my front has ALOT going on, including 2.5' longer arms and have a conservative 14inches at the moment

Quit calling rust patina
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on August 19th, 2012 at 05:49 PM

Thanks for fixing my mistakes Nils. I see you're on here a bit more lately, thanks good so I can drool over your Baja some more.

I'm looking at getting more out of my frontend too, but can't do anything till I fit my rack. It's amazing the race guys are getting so much travel with stock arms, gives me something to aim for :punk:

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.

Go To Top