Author: Subject:  wiring issue when driving
Memberschnike007
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage

posted on August 6th, 2024 at 08:52 PM
wiring issue when driving

whilst driving my type 3, sometimes when i press the brakes with indicator on and parking lamps the ignition turns off, and wont turn back on after roughly 5 minutes. ive gone through the wiring diagram to see if i got something wrong but everything is as it should be. this issue has only been happening just over 5 months. nothing has changed since then. I felt all the wiring and none seem to be hot. has anyone else had this issue? hopefully people are still on here.

1969 Volkswagen type 3 squareback 1600L
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy Man

posted on August 6th, 2024 at 10:33 PM

Unfortunately, traffic on AVD has disappeared All moved over to other platforms. I miss the old email-based forum groups with good databases to search for common issues.
It might help to mention the model/year/spec of your type 3 also.

Not that I have had this issue and given you have checked wiring for issues. Another place to look would be earth issues, either in the brake switch itself or in the lights (taillights are prone to corrosion on the base and terminals). Earthing out when braking could cause issues, especially if the indicators on also
Doesn't explain why you cannot restart for a while though.
It could be worth reviewing all of your wiring, especially corrosion at the terminals/end of cables and any cracks in insulation, this can also cause issues especially if you think cables are getting hot.
Look at cables in the engine bay, damage there could also be affecting other things in the ignition/dissy/coil.
MemberFossil
A.k.a.: Bert Wright
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 52

Mood: Komfortably Kombi Kruizing

posted on August 7th, 2024 at 01:26 PM

Haven't experienced your electrical gremlin in either of Type3's I've owned :no:
As Andy has posted it comes down to checking ALL the connections to ensure they are clean and not shorting out = bugger of a job.
Also check the ignition starter switch which means you'll have to remove the steering column cowling/cover.
Could be a relay (blinker/Hazard) that is old and tired and aren't expensive to replace.

Let me out, When I call my name
IGOR is ALIVE !!!! :cool:
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on August 7th, 2024 at 03:08 PM

Reckon Andy's suggestion about earth wires could be worth looking at. Poor earths can cause chaos. If all else fails and you still need help, the Samba VW forum has some folks with really good electrical problem solving skills (in the Beetle section anyway)

Go To Top