Threads: 192

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Drippin

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 08:37 AM

Wow, What a debate!

Have a look at these two cars.........

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/phatvw/rhett33.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/phatvw/phat1.jpg

Both were built by me and I call them both rats, because I built them.

We shouldn't be judging other peoples rides,
just respect that they are doing what they think is cool.

We are a fairly minimalist group in the VW scene the last thing we need is division in the ranks!

Rhettro

http://www.melburgluft.com/images/banners/phatbug.jpg
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 08:45 AM

This is a rat

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 08:47 AM

this is a volkswagen

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 08:48 AM

:kiss

kkk

MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ren
Great to hear that this is going to be a category in WA.

I agree with what crewcabconnection said, but think that some deliberately-made rats can be very cool too! Obviously a 'real' rat will take away peoples choice honours, but let's not hate on the fake rats, or any subculture within the scene for that matter.

VWCOOL - if it's not your thing forget it, no need to try to patronise those who are in love with all things rat.

Uh huh... Ok, good luck with the judging! Will you be checking the owner's undies to make sure they're wearing boxers and not Bonds?!

Or will you be happy to judge just the car in front of them, which is what the WA fellers are attempting to do?

Pay your debts, CxxT
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by squizy
One thing not mentioned, is that a rat does not have fibreglass guards.

Rats are about being minimalist.....getting the suspension, brakes and drivetrain strong to handle the power of the big bucks motor - all wrapped up in a sleeper exterior.

May I beg to differ - that's a Cal. Or a GL. A rat comes from a shed in its 'purest' form. Big engine or not.
If someone wants to wrap his whole life/fashion/attitude around that, then fine. But that can't be judged at a car show!

Pay your debts, CxxT
MemberEuro_67
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 75

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:06 AM

From what I have noticed of the whole VW rat ride sceen, it is more than the car, usually an overall attitude of the individual, almost anti establishment. It ia also apparent it is more about good times, and not about judging, trophies or egos. I have even rread some sites that suggest that in the US VW scene it was born out of being people over the mainstream US VW scene, shiny paint, and judging. One thing is for certain, it has bred new life and ways of thinking into a car culture that has been pretty stagnent for years. Any show regular will attest to this based on the same cars that enter the shows year on year without change. A real rat ride owner wouldnt really care for a tropy or to be judged.

Here is the Hood Ride Story.

HoodRide was created not off of a traditional business model, but off an idea for a better car community. I can't speak for everyone, but I feel a lack of respect for one another when it comes to anything car related. No longer will I put up with ego's, the "better than you" attitude, the disrespect, the put downs, the car show judges, the arrogant magazines, etc. Cars were first ment to be functional and second to be stylish. Who decided cars were first meant to be status and second to be fun and exciting? HoodRides are first and always unique, loved, driven, and fun. If you feel the same, you're in the right place. You are NOT your car, you're just the dumbass who's in love with it!
MemberHertz
Custom Title Time!
www.melburgluft.com

Threads: 84

Mood: Too lazy to give it a thought actually.

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:09 AM

So if someone drags an oval out of a dam, slams it and drives it everyday to work, regardless of the crazy looks it gets, from other motorists, its not a pure rat, cause it didnt come from a shed. You are confused.

Click the Beetle
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/aussiebug/537043350_melburgluft2.gif
Memberhandycam
Custom Title Time!
king of something

Threads: 61

Mood: ??????????????????????????

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hertz
So if someone drags an oval out of a dam, slams it and drives it everyday to work, regardless of the crazy looks it gets, from other motorists, its not a pure rat, cause it didnt come from a shed. You are confused.
LOL true true or a padock its not a rat if it comes from out side:duh and hertz there is such things as water rats LOL ive seen the tv show

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT01052.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT00522.jpg
Membermalcolm
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 102

Mood: where did he go!!!!!!

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:21 AM

koolkarmas dapper rat got better shine than most rats:lol:
and his belly dose scrap the ground.

[ Edited on 16-8-2006 by malcolm ]
Memberhandycam
Custom Title Time!
king of something

Threads: 61

Mood: ??????????????????????????

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 09:32 AM

i think it has 2 be a special car " with a sertain look already" wether that be rust or just some old nana has banged it up for 40 years. and the only rule i think the older the car the beter it is i think its a hard thing to coment on . as for the hot rod rats thats a diffrent thing all 2 gether thay are like i read b4 a 30's style car done in the 50's this is a 50'-60's cars done in 2000+ the idear's of cars have changed a lot with plastic fantastic but thay all have a place .so sit back mix up some stop rust and do your own thing thats my 2c worth let the people work it out on the day :thumb:thumb:thumb

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT01052.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT00522.jpg
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 10:09 AM

So when does a vn Crummydore become a rat?

MemberTCB_GHIA
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 10

Mood: life is like a pair of crutches

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 11:02 AM

squashed rat :(:(
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/TCB_GHIA/DSC00701.jpg
MemberVWFOOL
Bishop of Volkswagenism
King for a day, Fool for a lifetime.

Threads: 572

Mood: inspired yet?

posted on August 17th, 2006 at 11:54 AM

i feel ill

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
One man's junk...
Memberquazi
A.k.a.: Shane Paton
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 70

Mood: Inspired

posted on August 19th, 2006 at 08:53 PM
RAT DOES NOT COME FROM A BARN!

As has already been said,
RAT comes from the early HOT ROD days 40s & 50s
when they would spend their money on the mechanicals for racing and power ,not the paint job.

So what happened is that a whole series of rusty ,primered HOT RODS where getting around with performance and wearing this mean dirty LOOK!
The idear was" so what if it looks ugly, I'm hear to race!"

Then what happened is a Magasine published an artical on this growing trend and coined the saying ROD RAT.
The hot rod seen hated the name, and desiped the thought that there cars could be called RATS!

The name stuck and contributed to this growing culture of the RAT LOOK.Well its no surprise that volkswagon ,generating from this period and a long association with drag racing has welcomed this new culture.

Couple off things we do learn though from this history lesson is that a true rat has good mechanicals and has a strong leaning in the hot rod scene.

Another thing which is interesting is that a rat is not a rust peice of crap pulled out of a barn.
A Rat has to be created,restored, and evolved to make a true elements of a rat.

Anyone who loves rat has to have an artistic side,its art based.
Maybe if you don't like RATS, you might need to look for your creative side and then your appreciation will grow.
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on August 19th, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Shed/Barn/Carport/Paddock/Garage/Workshop etc.,

Art comes from the SOUL, not any other above. Quasi is right on the money.

Loves a lolcat
Membershiftyvw
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

posted on August 20th, 2006 at 10:04 AM

My 2c worth......

a rat for my money is a hot rod built by someone who isnt worried too much about the appearance. The point being that they didnt worry about the finish, and if they had more Time or Money probably would have had a schmick paint job, but its low on the list of priorities. Built by guys more concerned about mechanical quality than finish.

Now most of these "rat" owners these days are the excact opposite, they are only concerned about appearance!!

And whats with worshipping rust? :jesus

I think calling your car a rat is used by some people as a cop out because they have no talent or skill to build a decent car

testing 1 2 3...
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on August 24th, 2006 at 03:29 PM

imho only.

Seems to me there are two different kinds of Rats in the VW scene.
1. Cars like Hertz, Humpty's, caffienepusher's (sadly now smashed) and VWfools old oval. Old, rough on the outside and low with period performance parts and or accessories. I'd tend to call these the "rats". Resto custom with rust.
2. Then there are the Rods. Greedy's, stoppa's and a number of other fenderless VWs in the hotrod style.

They are not the same although some things do overlap. For instance, Stoppa's car could really be more classed as a custom with all the body and chassis mods. But then what about some of the rats with bags and heavily narrowed beams? They are heavily customized too. Some of those sorts of mods also take as much work as a chop job to get right.

I think judging them should be done the same way it is for other show cars. Judges are looking for attention to detail, a new idea or approach, a unifying concept or theme, and clever engineering. It's how they stand up to that scrutiny that tells you how good they are. But as many of you say, at the end of the day it comes down to personal tastes. Clubs are just large groups of people with similar tastes and interests. If you think they have a good grasp of where you are coming from with your rat or rod, then enter and let the club judges judge your car. You might pick up some good pointers about how to improve it. If you don't think they will understand, don't enter and be happy with the car because it's your car. If you are trying to make a statement and know you are going against the grain, don't expect to win, just do it to broaden others horizons. :)

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Membergreedy53
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 468

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: strung out

posted on August 24th, 2006 at 04:08 PM

yah what he said and so artfully sure wouldn't like getting to a verbal stoush with ya but it would probably nbe a pleasure to listern to

:yes::yes::lol::no::ninja::grind::dork:
MemberCAFFINEPUSHERMAN
A.k.a.: chris taranto
Custom Title Time!
bandito di culo

Threads: 169

Mood: got the horn

posted on August 25th, 2006 at 11:43 PM

thanks pete my car was always safety first good brakes tyres lowered but safe suspension ratty on top but engineered below as i have always built my cars .no sense going hard if you cant stop! make way for the new ghia super well engineered with rattier than ever top going a new direction with it doing a minimal thing rather than the over accesorised angle .stay tuned folks long live the rats......

A candy coloured clown they called the sandman tip toes through my room every night just to sprinkle stardust on my pillow go to sleep everything will be allright
1967 Type 3 square
1956 double door panel
1968 single cab kombi
MemberSchmoburger
A.k.a.: Kieran "Schmeaux" Boundy Stock-Nazi, Kombi Konquistador
Veteran Volks Folk
Baywindow Mafia Godfather and Cement-Shoe Fitter

Threads: 116

Mood: Over the moon... having difficulty breathing up here! :duh

posted on August 28th, 2006 at 01:04 PM

I see a true rat as being a fully roadworthy vehicle that remains unrestored on the outside.... not grossly abused and neglected and done shoddy... but with its fair share of dings and scratches and texture, and with the only bodywork done being that which is necessary to prevent the spread of cancer, with the majority of the attention paid to the mechanicals, as per Cafeeinepusherchris' philosophy. :lol: More or less my idea of a true rat is a vehicle with the minmum ammount of time and money spent on it to maintain it to a high standard of roadworthiness.

As somebody or another said... you can't get home on chrome.

I would call CPM's sadly departed bug and the fish's bus in it's present state good examples of a rat (plenty will disagree i'm sure so feel free to interject but keep it nice)... ugly but not overly rusty and mechanically perfect :cool:

I dont personally think flash rims or having the car dropped on it's guts are entirely necessary to qualify a car as a rat either... but they dont make it not one, however I think this might be where the term rat-rod seems to come into play... when enhancements are made to the vehicle from stock, but appearance still takes low priority. Unless however such "enhancements" are made to a rusty bogged to the teeth heap of shit which is barely clinging to life... that is not a rat but a polished turd! :duh

I see ride's like kombibob's splitty, and to a small extent the SSB bug as being relatively good examples of rat-rods, rather than pure rats.

Really tho, I thinking asking somebody to define a rat is like asking "how long is a piece of string?".... there are no clearly defined boundaries... however as many have said already, there is a big difference between a well-maintained p[roper rat and just a plain old heap of shit that somebody is trying to pass off as a rat so they can look cool or get away with not fixing rust. :roll: :lol:

Flame away... :lol:

1976 Kombi Trakka camper, "Buttercup"... driver.
1976 Beluxe Microbus, "Saphir"... resto.
1974 Kombi panelvan, "George"... shed.
1974 Superbug, "Schmeetle"... resto.
[url=www.baywindowmafia.tk][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/c
MemberVWMA Editor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 243

posted on August 28th, 2006 at 02:11 PM

Defined by the number of rat nests found while cleaning.

So far, the '57 'Rat' project has unearthed 4, the biggest containing 20 peach seeds lining the nest.

A Rat winner must also keep and display theses nests at shows for authenticity.
Super Moderator65busser
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 224

Mood: dakked

posted on August 28th, 2006 at 02:21 PM

Now we're getting somewhere. There's your measuring stick. Of course!!

Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 139

Mood: Totally boosted!

posted on September 19th, 2006 at 02:08 AM

On the whole I would agree with most of what has been said here, but the truth be known, it is very hard to define a RAT.... But in the context of the VW scene and the HOODRIDE philosophy (which is not the same as RAT by the way), you would have to say that the car should be in mostly OG paint, but well (read: naturally) aged resprays are acceptable, period accessories (performance or luxury) are a bonus, preferably slammed, narrowed is good, No bling at all!, earlier the better (60's or earlier IMHO), upgraded running gear is ok, though not nessassary. The car must exude a certain hotrod attitude, be a little anti-establishment, fairly straight and solid, though small dents are acceptable, maybe a little rusty, though not a shit pile. No fibre glass (unless its period parts like a Kamei spoiler or a EMPI/FAT Performance engine cover), not shitty 80's looking body kits. No chop job convertibles and not 'custom' body mods. Though it can be styled along a theme like retro racer style, but the OG thing is the best option. If you take my car as an example, it is a little out of the ordinary. It has story, I bought from the OG owners and it sat in a carport since 1975. The paint is OG, its never been smashed, there are few dings, it is coverd in light body rust, but no holes, it has all the OG fittings, guards, chrome, glass, doors and running boards. It has most of the OG interior (though I don't have correct front seats :( ), but it has period correct race seats and performance interior parts. Underneath my car is a little different than most other... I have a completely rebuilt undercarriage with 4 wheel disc brakes, 205 PCD raders, 4" narrowed adjustable beam & drop spindles, currently a close ratio Swingaxle transaxle and mild 1776 built in the old school cal-look style with hot-rod mixed in.... And it is VERY low in the best pan scraping tradition.

So I guess its a mix of a lot of styles, but to me its more hot-rod mixed with old school pre-cal-look style, with a little resto-cal thrown in and slammed in the Hoodride tradition..... Now how the hell are you gonna pidgeon hole that?

[ Edited on 18-9-2006 by humpty ]

FUCH your early!

http://www.noh2o.org/ 
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top