Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on February 25th, 2010 at 07:07 PM

Thanks guy's. Much what I expected. When I get it together I want to come and play, and with the box I'm running, I realy need 31" rubber to get the gearing anywhere near sane. Even then 100km/h is 3500rpm and 160km/h flat out as this engine is a low reving torque munger, so she's pegged at 6000rpm MAX. Tyres I own now are pretty slick boring tread pattern so I think they'd pass, but my choice will be BFG mud terains....a bit on the chunky side for the track I'd think.
Time will tell. Lots to do first but hoping sooner rather than later. :)

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 25th, 2010 at 08:51 PM

I'll be there too. Generally they set the cones a little wider for the dirt sprints and since only the best runs count you can be a bit more aggressive/brave/reckless.
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 25th, 2010 at 09:02 PM

I run a standard single sideplate box. With 195-50-15 tyres (Bob Jane T Mart specials) my revs range between 3500 and 5000rpm over most of the lap if I leave it in 3rd. When the track is at its best I might see 5500rpm.
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 162

Mood: swings

posted on February 27th, 2010 at 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snap Crackle Bang
I run a standard single sideplate box. With 195-50-15 tyres (Bob Jane T Mart specials) my revs range between 3500 and 5000rpm over most of the lap if I leave it in 3rd. When the track is at its best I might see 5500rpm.

hee hee,,, I`m up around the 11,000 rpms mark :-)

hangin for another fangin :-)
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 10th, 2010 at 09:24 PM

Reminder.
Get your entry in for this Sunday's Sprint.:yes:
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 12th, 2010 at 04:25 PM

Damn ,,, it`s cancelled,,, too wet

:-(
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on April 2nd, 2010 at 07:45 PM

Another Willowbank Autocross booked in for the 18th of April,,, be there or be square :-)

I`m going to try for the fastest time of the day

testing the buggy out at Dad`s race track tomorow,,, & i have the helmet camera sorted now,,, i was pushing the wrong buttons last time :-(

i`ll post the vids from tomorow up on youtube & then get all your arses out to Willowbank on the 18th ok???
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 2nd, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I was 3rd fastest official time of the day again last meeting,,, but the first lap was an absolute blinder (sooooo totally fastest time of the day) ,,, But,,, they canned it cause they reckon they missed the times for half the runners so they classified it as a practice run instead or re-running the ones who missed their time & so official timing started on run number 2 :-(

Dirt Sprint comming up 16th May,,, I`m soooo gonna be there :-)

Oh ,,, & i`m in the process of making the thing 4x4 now :-) stay tuned for some "SERIOUS" fast "traction- Action" in the next few months :-) :-) :-)
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 6th, 2010 at 09:40 PM

My Beetle will never forgive me if I miss 2 in a row, so I'll be there.
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 17th, 2010 at 07:36 PM

Excellent event once again.
The 2000CC to 3000CC class is getting more competitive. Fastest in my class was a very special early 70's corolla. This thing looks stock, but has a 4A-GZE with the supercharger replaced by a BIG turbo. The dyno sheet says 246hp at the rear wheels. Also in my class were some MR2's, 3 series Bimmers, a hillclimb modded mazda rx7 and a datto 1600 stretched to 2.2litres. I was definitely pleased with my third place trophy.

This was a sprint meeting where the best time from each pair of runs counted for the final results. There was a seventh run just for the fun of it.

We tried a new reverse direction track layout. A few of the normal kinks were adjusted to become proper corners. In theory this was to slow the cars down for safety, but it meant there were now at least 5 places where you could scare yourself each lap.

I'll let TheMiniMan tell you who won overall.

Cheers
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 29th, 2010 at 08:11 PM
Willowbank Dirt Sprint this Sunday

hee hee,,, yeah thanks Snap

well.....

I won !!!!!

:-)

Beat everyone :-) :-) :-)

I actually couldn`t believe it really cause ive been in Byron surfing for 3 weeks & just popped back to have a spin,,, didn`t really intend to do anything fancy,,, just wanted a fang, so i just "drove-around",,, ended up 1st place outright & giggled all the way home like a little school girl :-)

anyways,,, enough about me at the autocross, now onto more important things--->

Today i ran at the Mt Cootha Hillclimb & was running 2nd place outright for most of the day,,, very wet tho,,, so i packed in all up after 2 runs & just watched,,, still holding my 2nd place time till 2 or 3 oclock-ish,,,then the track dried out so a couple of other cars pipped me & i couldn`t be bothered walking all that way back to the pits & unload everything to have one more run,,, so i`m 4th atm,,,
( at least i was when i left)

Hope it`s sunny tomorow so i can put some power to the ground

very fast track boys & girls, Very fast indeed,,, bring your brown undies if you want to race :-)

Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on May 29th, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Well done Snap and Minihead, very well done to both of you... and good luck tomorrow at Mt Cootha Matt. Enjoy.

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 31st, 2010 at 02:42 PM

Thanks Matty

The Cootha Hill-climb was awsome,,, great track,,, VERY VERY FAST!!!!!!!!!

I was running 2nd outright for most of saturday, but i didn`t bother to do the last run cause the rain just shit me (& most people) right off,,, but the dam thing dried up in the arvo & so i got knocked back to 5th outright... I tried a new set of American Racerdirt speedway tyres, (only cause i had them & i didn`t want to wreck my Hoosier dirt tyres on the bitumen) but they were sooooo little & skinny & were actually quite hard & i was literally spinning the wheels all the way up, & all the way down the hill so they were just total crap really

i was also having some rather major issues with the right rear brake locking up for some reason,,,, Not very funny i can tell you,,, going into & through the chicanes with one hand on the wheel & the other winding the bias valve knob back a few turns is pretty dam scarey i can tell you :-) especially down the back section,,, down hill & 5th gear at about 100+mph locking the right rear tyre makes for some rather interesting facial shapes , that`s for sure :-) wish i had a video camera pointing at my eye balls :-)

then sunday morn came along & the skys were clear so i cranked up the right peddle a bit more & took 5 secs straight off my saturday time,,, that put me in 3rd outright for most of the morning,,, But yet again i got bumped back to 5th, & then back to 7th as the day progressed,,, 2nd run came along & i still couldn`t get any traction... & was still having dramas with that right rear brake locking problem scaring the be-jesus out of me

so i stuck my 8-inch wide Hoosier dirt speedway tyres (the ones i use at the autocross) on the front for the last run & they were heaps better & i could give it full throttle up the hill,,, MUCH MUCH BETTER-ER :-) ---> but the rear brake locking thing got me again on the first chicane, swung me around & i bumped the fence,,, Busted the radiator a bit, & made it leak so i dropped out

didn`t have another radiator so i pulled out of the top ten shoot-out

So i ended up in 7th outright, just in front of Jim Richards :) ,,, Just a bit behind 3 of the fastest hill-climb specials in the country,,, Allan McConnell in his 300hp areo packaged rocket ship open wheeler,,,, Darren Duffield & Warwick Hutchinson (Both 340hp turbo charged 13B Rotory open wheelers),,,, Bill Norman with his bike powered areo packaged hill-climb special (he won this event last year),,, & then 2x "Rage" single seater 180hp Bike powered Buggys imported from England at $40K a pop & VERY VERY Quick INDEED!!! ,

so i was pretty choofed with that being my first run there,,, only 2x VERY wet runs ones & 3x dry ones (Correction/edit--> well only 2x dry runs sunday actually,,, the third one didn`t see me past the first turn)

so... with only 130hp,,, Front wheel drive,,, No Areo package at all ,,, & on """Dirt""" tyres :-) I`m stoked !!!!!!!! :-)

next year (if they let me run again) i`ll take some decent proper tarmac slicks

& i`ve just now sorted out the reason for the rear brake locking-up issue,,, the dam right rear wheel cyl locating roll-pin had gone missing & so the wheel cyl was cocking about, flogging around on the backing plate :-( Probably lost it at the last auto-cross 2 weeks ago)

NO wonder winding the rear bias vale off didn`t seem to do anything :-(

MT Cotton,,, Grafton,,, Noosa,,, & other hill-climb tracks are in my sights now,,, i don`t expect to win outright anywhere but i`ll give it a dam good shot once i get a bit more feel for this buggy,,, & start setting things up a bit... we really havn`t touched it since it was built apart from zipping up the F/D ratio,,, so there`s plenty of things to play with & sort out yet :-)

i`m pretty sure we surprised the shit out of a pile of people with this thing, going on the comments i received all day long seems that most people hadn`t given any thought to a front wheel drive car being anywhere near top ten at a hill-climb,,, especially on dirt tyres :-),,, so it was a bit of an awakening for lots of people :-)

I`m just a little bit more than tickled at this point :-)
Cheers
Matt
Membervassy66T1
A.k.a.: Marcus Vass
Veteran Volks Folk
Wow ... are U reading this?

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Happy to own a VW

posted on June 2nd, 2010 at 08:53 PM

Matt

I saw you run on the Sunday.
Was just up around the first corner so hadn't caught up with the fact that you broke it.
The front tyres were just about trying to pull themselves off the rim with all the work you had them doing. :)

Those rage buggys were crazy ... particularly one of the drivers ... almost as mad as you
Look forward to trying to catch up with you at one of the events.
cheers
Marcus

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/vassy66T1/SignatureAVDmod1small.jpg

Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on June 2nd, 2010 at 09:32 PM

Matt, well done dude, sounds like you were flying :).

Had a call today from a mate of yours that was on official duties on the weekend, Guy Vicker..., he wanted me to promise to have a dub to campaign for next years event....also said that he wants to show you a thing or two in the waves......Crazy.

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 6th, 2010 at 03:51 PM

Hey Thanks Marcus, it was a great weekend, & yeah the tyres we ran were just crap, no grip & pulling under the rim real bad, we tried more air but they were still doing it,,, then we changed tyres & fronts were great but the backs felt like they were covered in grease

Matty Guy is lovely, altho he did get me in trouble on sunday arv,,, he told me to do a burn-out before the start line so i did,,, the starting official wasn`t very happy with me, :-) i wondered why no-one was doing it all weekend
& yes you really should build a quick hillclimb/autocross buggy mate,,, you are going to love it... just DO IT!!!!!!!!

I went out to Mt Cotton Hill-climb today, Was hoping to sneak a run (or 2) in but they said no log book,,, no run

Sooo,,, i had my pre-log-book scrutineering session,,, only have a couple of little things to change & they`re happy , so i should have it logged in the next week or 2 & ready to run the next meeting there or maybe Noosa hill-climb

Grafton Hill-climb is on next weekend but i dion`t think i`ll be ready,,, & then there`s another Autocross the weekend after that,,,, i`ll definately be at that one tho :-)

Hangin for another fangin :-)
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 14th, 2010 at 10:17 PM

This sunday ,,, Who`s comming???

Matty B,,, you keen for a look-see?

Robbo (my rally Navigator) is running my buggy this time too, so the poor thing will be really working hard :-)
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 16th, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I'll be there!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on June 16th, 2010 at 02:56 PM

Prolly not for me.....unless there's nothing else to do, would love to see it Matt, but more fun to have a pedal in something, I'll get there eventually.....reckon the 2.9 will go ok :).

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 16th, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Well Matty,,, this run is Robbos turn to have a speed in my buggy,,, but maybe next meeting you can,,, That is if you`re interested in attempting to grab traction from the opposite end of the car than you`re used to

But bring your Brown Corduroy pants :-) :-) :-)
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on June 16th, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMiniMan
Well Matty,,, this run is Robbos turn to have a speed in my buggy,,, but maybe next meeting you can,,, That is if you`re interested in attempting to grab traction from the opposite end of the car than you`re used to

But bring your Brown Corduroy pants :-) :-) :-)

I'm looking for some corduroy pants tomorrow :) Noisey AND brown :lol:.

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 21st, 2010 at 08:06 PM

onboard Videos from the top of the roll bar of the buggy up on you-tube now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZwL3gr1UE

more comming soon

I only came 2nd outright today,,, the track turned into a bitumen highway after lunch & my Hoosier-daddys didn`t like it one bit

I`ll try to find some Yoko AO48Rs or something like that to fit after lunch next meeting

there is 2x small off-road type buggys comming soon,,, both are "apparently" 230hp Hyabusa powered , rear eng, rear drive things,,, this will be interesting as they (the organisers) are saying that they may make a "Buggy" class if more turn up
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 21st, 2010 at 09:12 PM

I feel like I was the one with an unfair advantage for a change. The track took a longer time than usual to dry out in the cooler weather, so the first 3 runs were on a slippery track that didn't suit semi-slick tyres. Since I'm running on road tyres I was consistently quicker than the rally prepped E30 BMW325 which was my only competition in the 2000cc to 3000cc class.
Next IWMAC event is a sprint on the 25th of July. Will the 2.9 be ready by then Mat?
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 21st, 2010 at 09:24 PM

Yeah Matty-B,,, get your finger out fella :-)

This Video of a much later run after lunch in the opposite direction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT0elKmm9M

It`s like a main road out there
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on June 21st, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Looks mad mate :tu::tu:

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 22nd, 2010 at 12:24 PM

this is my very first run of the day,,, straight out of the box fast is the way to attack this track cause all the times add together , but you just drop your worst lap,,, so a decent fast pace early with no mistakes can save you if you have a mad wild slow run later, or even if you hit a witches hat latter then you can drop that run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGN1le9AwCI

check out all the EVOs & WrX`s everywhere,,, they got nothing on this little red wagon :-) ah ok,,, correction--> yellow buggy :-)
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 06:29 PM

Who`s comming along this sunday???

Anyone???

it`s the BIG track this time,,,, very very fast :-) :-) ;-)
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 08:09 PM

Nah....but my car is getting closer.......look out, I'll get there one day !

Did you come up to the Noosa hill climb last week end, if not...why not? :)

MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Nah,,, i wanted to,,, but still no slicks :-(

need slicks

need money for slicks

but need money for Kombi gearbox repair first,,.

then we need money for slicks

slicks are nice

i love slicks

i want slicks

Whaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! I want slicks i want slicks i want slicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i had slicks,,, then wild horses couldn`t drag me off the track at Raliegh next week,,, nor another hillclimb/street/circuit/autocross track as far away as my kombi can carry my buggy (until the gearbox breaks again)

Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 08:17 AM

Did you say, you need some slicks ??????? :)

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top