Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3007 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 100650 ]
Author: Subject:  paint stripper safe to use on plastic?
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Side ways

posted on January 27th, 2013 at 04:53 PM
paint stripper safe to use on plastic?

Anyone know a paint stripper thats safe to use on plastic bumpers?

looks like a dumy painted clear coat straight over the existing paint.

tried sanding it a bit but I can see where the clear has come off the sandpaper starts to dig in more than than the clear coat areas since the clear is harder than the bumper itself. At this point I stop in fear of damaging the bumpers smoothness.

Last time I used a stripper on plastic it melted the part and I had to throw it away.

anyone who does painting for a living got any ideas or experience with this?

cheers.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Membersnitz
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 37

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Red
Mood: "Bug"gered

posted on January 27th, 2013 at 06:50 PM

Im sure 3M do a bumper stripper thats an pressure pack specifcally for bumpers and plastics..
Membervlad01

posted on January 27th, 2013 at 07:50 PM

excellent! thats what I need to hear.

plan is to put the stripper on then pressure clean it off.

71 notchback,
Membervlad01

posted on January 27th, 2013 at 11:08 PM

did much googling

no such 3M product but from what I read the smash repairs use SEM bumper stripper. its in an aerosol can like you said.

71 notchback,
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on January 29th, 2013 at 09:11 PM

Do not use anything which has the active ingredient methylene chloride, or acetone or things that have acetate in them e.g. ethyl or butyl acetate.

Have a look at Citri-strip. I think it is available in Bunnings. It is an organic paint stripper. Not sure if it is good for plastic but youy could try a part at the back where it is not visible to see if it affects the surface.
Membervlad01

posted on January 30th, 2013 at 09:22 AM

yes I know that, they why I asked.

I just bought some carpet cleaner to clean the fabric insert on my VP door trims as I don't want to use water on them and I see active ingredient is methylene chloride.... arhhhh ffs!

why is carpet cleaner paint stripper? lucky I saw that before I used it as the will melt the vinyl for sure.

Might have to make a wet vac just for the purpose of cleaning them.

Anyway that SEM bumper stripper is for plastic and urethane bumpers and its popular in the states.

I could try that cirtistrip but the SEM stuff is available here but 40 buck per spray can.

I hear some people use brake fluid as the doesn't do anything to the plastic supposedly. but somehow I think that might interfere with paint adhesion long term.

71 notchback,
Membervlad01

posted on February 7th, 2013 at 10:13 AM

god damn this paint!

even normal paint stripper is struggling to get it off. yes I did test it first on the plastic, does nothing even left for over an hour so its safe. The bumper stripper is too weak for this paint. :grind:

71 notchback,
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on February 7th, 2013 at 04:12 PM

Sorry just been O/S and just saw your reply re carpet cleaner.

I would think that the proportion of methylene chloride would be quite small as it is not good for materials e.g I think nylon.

By law for most consumer products the ingredient listing if it is shown has to list the raw materials in proportion with the largest concentration first. Normally this would be water (or aqua) and then in diminishing concentration. Once the level is below 1% the ingredients can be listed in any order. That is why you may see colour or perfume at the end of the listing.

Not sure which brand it is and whether it has an ingredient listing or not so hard to know.

Most carpet cleaners will have some solvents in them that should not be bad for trim. You can always use the old tried and true method of sunlight soap or other pure soap in flake form and then dissolve and lightly scrub or dab. This is a wet method however and you will have to dry it afterwards.

I have downloaded the Material Safety Data Sheet for SEM Bumper Cleaner in liquid not aerosol form. This is available here.

http://www.semproducts.com/product-catalog/specialty-products/urethane-bumper...

Its active ingredient is dichloromethane which is the correct term for methylene chloride. It is 70-100% methlylene chloride, 10% propanol better known as "rubbing alcohol" the stuff they swab you with before getting an injection and some solvent.

if this hasn't worked and did not damage the plastic then it might be worth trying something more aggressive. It looks like it works on polyurethane bumpers, but I am not sure whether all bumpers are made of it or some are plastic. You can always try some rubbish plastic lying around to see if it is affected.

Brake fluid is normally a good paint stripper. It used to made up of acetate esters such as butyl acetate from memory. This is a similar material to some types of nail polish remover. I would think that any residue would be easily removed with the normal paint cleaners like prepsol as the ingredients are similar solvents.

If there is a hidden spot that will not show I would try:

1. Brake fluid
2. Acetone based nail polish remover - not the herbal stuff. The problem with this is that it may remove the paint, but also affect the underlying surface. Try it out but don't leave it on for too long. It might be worth just using a rag dipped in the solvent and rubbing a hidded spot to see what it does.

The only other solvent which is really aggressive is MEK or methyl ethyl ketone. It is used in the printing inks industry and we use it at work to remove printing off plastic bottles i.e we code our plastic bottles with an ink and sometimes get it wrong and have to remove it. Most polyethylene and polypropylene bottles get crazed if you leave it on too long, but a quick wipe is normally ok. MEK is a nasty solvent and you would need to have a lot of fresh air or preferably a cannister (not paper) mask when you use it.

It is very unlikely turps, metho or even white spirits or petrol would work either.
Membervlad01

posted on February 7th, 2013 at 10:33 PM

brake fluid does absolutely nothing, left in on overnight, didn't even dull the paint. nothing at all.

normal stripper is working the best but looks like it wiil take me a few days to get it off and maybe a few tins of it.

its the clear coat and high fill that's aren't wanting to dissolve, the actual color is coming off easy.

71 notchback,

Go To Top