Author: Subject:  Pointers for new rod build
Membercasseldale
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

question.gif posted on April 28th, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Pointers for new rod build

So I've read what others did (eg Stoppa) and have seen what responses others got when seeking pointers on rods - speak to an engineer etc.

Ok, so I'll speak to an engineer but I also wanted some pointers from you guys on other things. Can you please make recommendations for:

1. Anyone know a good engineer in the northern Sydney, central coast or Newcastle areas? I'm on the central coast but will travel north or south if I have to
2. A custom shop that will help with doing a roof chop and paint etc.; maybe a few other bits and pieces
3. Re glass - I have gathered that the best way is to go plexiglas for the rear, new flat glass in one piece window kit form for the sides and a new flat glass windscreen; any recommendations for glass experts?
4. Beam extension - so I gather that the bolt-on solutions are troublesome; most folks say it is impossible to get it rego'ed in NSW or needs expensive testing. I'm ok to pay for the testing but doesn't seem like anyone on this forum has actually got an extension done legally (I think Stoppa had removed the extension and cut/welded his chassis to get the beam forward). Any recommendations on custom shops that'll do this (well)?
5. Re beams, anyone knows if Down Under Beams (I can't get onto Melburg Luft) do their's with engineering certificates?
6. Lowering - I gather that any lowering will require certification as any sensible lowering needs at least an adjustable beam and probably different spring plates. It seems that drop spindles are never going to get engineering approval - can anyone confirm this?
7. Engine swap - does this still need an engineer to approve, say you change a 1300 for a Tp 1600 etc?

I've decided not to start with a wreck. To me it sounds like a low price starting point but I can just see all the little things add up. I'll rather start with a good bug so I essentially just have to chop it, paint it and sort the suspension and wheels. This means I can keep the engine if it's good, the interior etc.

I appreciate any help on the above. Thanks
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 139

Mood: Totally boosted!

posted on April 29th, 2013 at 12:00 AM

As far as I know there is actually only one genuine legal volks rod on the road in Australia.... Brocks rod here on Perth.... All others are on club licenses.... Would like to know if this is not the case... No beam extension on his car.... He did have one on it when he built in NSW all those years ago, but when he moved to Perth, he had to have the beam extension removed and the frame head extended.... The roof chop and suicide doors are conventional engineer approved alterations as outline in the NCOP....All other hot rod touchs such as fenderless tyres and the Ford wire wheels are not legal...Brock has fitted hotrod style guards to cover the tyre patch, which is legal on conventional hotrods in this country.... Though not legal on his car, it does sorta keep the cops off his back.... And finally.... You don't need engineers approval for an engine upgrade to 1600.... Pretty sure you can go up to 1999cc in NA form with standard late VW brakes (ie: disc and drums).... Again, consult the NCOP guidelines for details.

FUCH your early!

http://www.noh2o.org/ 
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on April 29th, 2013 at 06:59 AM

in NSW you need engineers approval for greater than 15% increase

1300 to 1600 "would/should" need approval and disc brake upgrade

Futue te ipsum!!!
Memberbenny_acko
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on April 29th, 2013 at 02:32 PM

Overkill Engineering in Hornsby did a Ute conversion (I think with a chopped roof) and had it registered.They had a profile, build and sale thread on here and I think they mentioned an engineeer they use. They may be able to point you in the right direction at least...

1967 VW Beetle Deluxe
Memberwhathaveidone
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 98

Mood: Heading for 10.99

posted on April 29th, 2013 at 02:57 PM

Yeah. Overkill has/gad on fully engineered and legal. If your on facebook look them up there. He is posting stuff all the time

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z443/whathaveidone1/GetAttachment.jpg
MemberALZ061
Learner Dubber

Threads: 2

posted on May 7th, 2013 at 09:59 PM

There is a street legal, engineered, fully registered Volksrod right here in Sydney. Me being computer illiterate in regards to posting photo's[& anything other than bare basics]
have contacted my son Shane who will accomodate as soon as he gets time. We had the glass made from a template we provided by P.H. Jennings Heavy Machinery Glass up near St Marys. Extended beams weren't legal when we built 5yrs ago & I do not think that has changed, but your engineer will be up to date on all the latest requirements. With your chop the measurement between the seat & the roof is important as well as how the pillars are cut , we nearly missed out by 10mm. We removed padding from the seat. Good luck with your build, the best part of the whole process for me was working side by side with my son.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on May 7th, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
in NSW you need engineers approval for greater than 15% increase

1300 to 1600 "would/should" need approval and disc brake upgrade

As I read it, if it is the same series body, then it is 15% on the maximum of that series body. Whether it is interpreted as 15% on a 1600 (maximum size Beetle engine) being that all VW Beetle series body is the same, then that is something you need to discuss with your engineer.

Yep "SPEAK TO AN ENGINEER" is the most important factor. Hearsay, pictures and club permit cars are never going to give you the final outcome.

Memberlucasliz
Learner Dubber

Threads: 0

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Brown

posted on August 10th, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hi, this is my first ever post.

In Perth in 2003 I began building what may have been the first Australian Volksrod. In 2010 or so Brock Stoppani moved from NSW to WA and I met him when he was about to rego his Volksrod here in Perth. He gave me pointers on how to finish my body work and I showed him how I'd extended my beam about 10" ahead of the firewall.

He redid his car and recommended me an engineer to use, but I have never regoed it. Brock helped me with brackets for ther guards, which seemed the trickiest thing to me. Brock insisted they be strong enough to take the constant vibration of driving. I finished the car in about 2011 and it has sat ever since. I am hoping to get to it this year.

Nowadays there are so many chop pictures you can try on your own and you would almost be assured success. I was blind, with no plans and no pictures to follow, but I was very happy with my chop, 5" with a very flat roof, not domed or peaked forward, just flat.

How do we post pictures? I have never been on a forum.
later,
Lucasliz
Memberlucasliz
Learner Dubber

Threads: 0

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Brown

posted on August 10th, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Perth Volksrod

This is my car, built between 2003 and 2009. It's called the Kafka One Special because it's named after Franz Kafka's short story 'Metamorphosis' in which a guy wakes up to discover himself turned into a cockroach, just as my Beetle has been turned into a lean brown cockroach...

Go To Top