Author: Subject:  Lowering a 65 Beetle
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

Threads: 10

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Always Chilled

posted on May 12th, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Lowering a 65 Beetle

OK. I have read some forums on lowering beetles but I thought I would throw this out there.

I am new to the beetle seen and have bought a stock standard, 6 volt, 1192cc beetle which I love and intend on leaving stock. I have seen some stock beetles that sit around an inch lower than normal which does look good.

I thought I would ask what are the Pros and Cons to having a beetle lowered an inch (if that is possible), two inches max.

I am using the beetle as a regular drive and I thought I would ask if there is any additional wear or stresses on things like axles, bearings, body and floor-pan etc.

Cheers

Clem

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Nothing beats cruising in my Beetle
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on May 12th, 2014 at 09:32 PM

I would look at getting a set of dropped spindles for the front

A straight 2" drop and all the geometry stays the same

Shouldnt need to touch the back

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

posted on May 12th, 2014 at 09:35 PM

Thanks for that. Wouldn't I need to drop the back by 2" to keep it level all round?

MemberGamaufmate
Learner Dubber

Threads: 4

posted on May 13th, 2014 at 05:49 PM

Gotta be careful, drop spindles will slightly offset the wheels, and could potentially scrub your guards. And lowering the rear is fairly simple. All you have to do is play around with the rear torsion arms. There are many discussions on how to do this, and vids on youtube etc. If you want to properly lower the front of the car without any issues in the long run, a 2 inch narrowed adjustable front beam is the way to go. Just advise from previous experience :)
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

posted on May 13th, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the advice Gamaufmate. If I kept the wheels stock width would they still have the potential to scrub? I am checking out every YouTube clip.

Member65standard
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 47

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Only when I'm in it.

posted on May 17th, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Don't do it. Keep it stock!!!

Mine's a daily driver, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

[size=4]If it ain't broke, fix it till it is![/size]
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

posted on May 17th, 2014 at 08:37 AM

Cheers 65 Standard. I drive mine a couple of times a week (daily drive on sunny days) and I have heard if you lower them they become a little rough for a daily (dependent on the roads), and if you lower them too much you can starve the rear axles of oil. I think I'll end up keeping this baby stock and getting another beetle to create the Cali look.

There seems to be very little stock Dubs (totally original) out there.

Memberjjwebb123
A.k.a.: Jason
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 63

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Trying to get it puring

posted on May 17th, 2014 at 09:03 AM

The best thing about drop spindles is that they are a fairly easy proccess to remove an refit.
If you dont like the look or have too many dramas you can take them off.

From what "ive" learnt ( http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=105800 ) an Adjustable front beam would be the best option in the long run,but a lot more money/work.

"A car for the people, an affordable Volkswagen, would bring great joy to the masses and the problems of building such a car must be faced with courage."
Adolf Hitler At opening of 1934 Berlin Auto Show
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

posted on May 20th, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Hey jjWeb,

Just read your attached thread. Yikes!!! I am still at the "thinking about it" stage, and all the replies, threads and YouTube clips certainly help.

Thanks for advice

Memberkylandpl
Casual Dubber

Threads: 5

posted on June 2nd, 2014 at 09:03 PM

ACT65 Deluxe,

I put dropped spindles on my '61 and the stock (165/80/15) tyres rubbed a lot, so I had to fit lower profile tyres. I had the back dropped approx 2" to level it out, and find the suspension a little "choppy"...

My advice, leave it stock for daily use.
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

posted on June 2nd, 2014 at 09:35 PM

Hey Kylandpl

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading up on a lot of suspension threads on here and keeping it stock height seems to work well for a daily drive.

When get my second bug I'll create my Cali look model. She is a great looking stock standard 65 and I am getting some great comments and people stopping for a chat and a look through her.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Clem

Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: good

posted on June 3rd, 2014 at 07:17 AM

If you lower the front by using weld in adjusters the ride will become worse the more you lower it as the trailing arms are designed to be angled down so the suspension moves the wheel back and up as it hits a bump, this is why the suspension is so good offroad, the lower you go the wheel then has to move forward and up into the bump, this removes one of the major advantages the suspension has, dropped spindles do not alter the geometry but increase the track on a link pin front end by 20MM a side, if you narrow the beam to accommodate the increase in overall track you introduce other changes to the suspension other that the rubbing issues, I use dropped spindles but use wheels that have a changed ET to return the geometry to standard, I always maintain the scrub radius on all my cars as close as possible to standard to insure there is no increase in bump steer or tramlining.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberAllbones
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on June 3rd, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I have a 4" narrowed beam (with castor shims), 2.5" dropped spindles & lowered two splines on the outside at the rear.

I think I am around 6cm-10cm ride height, depending on weight.

The ride is average, but I never really have any issues with height at speed bumps or anything (With that said, I dont actually care if it rubs on the pan).

I do however think ahead with my travel to try and make sure I am not going to cause anyone any problems by being inconveniently low.

I've gone through about 4 front left wheel bearings (in 12 months). This was caused by water runnig down the speedo cable into the spindle and the grease going off. I fixed this with Lithium-Moly grease that someone reccomended. Havent had a problem since.

I've had my first rear wheel bearing collapse aswell because of the wheel angle, and this has caused some headaches. With that said, I know what to look for now so i'm hoping it wont get as bad as I let it this time.

My wheels do wear on the inside alot faster, as expected. Fortunately I can get my tires flipped easily, I realise this isnt the case for everyone though.

You dont sound like you want to slam the car, just take abit of height out, which means you shouldnt run into the headaches i am having as quickly, if at all. My advice would just be to keep an eye on everything and replace your bearings and seals more frequently than required.

This is just my experience.

Cheers, John.

Edit: I recant my statement, I cant figure out what i've dont on the rear end, but the bearing hasnt collapsed. Just thought I would update.

Go To Top