Author: Subject:  1600 DP service- L Beetle
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 24

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: 'Super' defensive

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1600 DP service- L Beetle

I know VW's have aluminium heads, so hard valve seats are already inserted so using unleaded is reasonably straight forward, but curious if there are any changes in plugs,hot/cold,etc or also if gaps are different from leaded to unleaded using Bosch W8AC Spark plugs,I have searched internet but have found limited information,any help appreciated, Thanks

Shaun,Part-time secret snake relocator,full time reptile keeper and small collector of ugly projects bugs ...:crazy:
MemberBRUTUS
A.k.a.: et tu, Brute
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: ACE 30 FOR SALE!

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 01:25 PM

The plug gap and type (heat range) requirements shouldn't be different for unleaded v. leaded.

There was a discussion including the various types of plugs (Bosch, Beru, NGK) that are available/work:-
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=105423#pid986101 

ACE 30 & 40 oils: specifically engineered for your Air Cooled VW
delivered (free del.) throughout Yarra Valley / Ranges, & Gippsland areas. Also ACE 20, 50 & 90.
FOR SALE: ACE 30, 40 etc. Oil formulations & Trade-names.
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 01:44 PM

Very helpful,thanks Brutus,seems in some ways Volkswagens thought to make alot of things easy,also curious about limited information about my Vac Advance Distributor code- 0231 168 005 - 021 905 205P which I can only find on 1979 Type 2 Bus, even spoke to Mick at Mick's Motors about distributor and he wasn't sure,parts I bought for the distributor are the same as 009,cap,rotor,points,condenser

Shaun,Part-time secret snake relocator,full time reptile keeper and small collector of ugly projects bugs ...:crazy:
Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadpan
Very helpful,thanks Brutus,seems in some ways Volkswagens thought to make alot of things easy,also curious about limited information about my Vac Advance Distributor code- 0231 168 005 - 021 905 205P which I can only find on 1979 Type 2 Bus, even spoke to Mick at Mick's Motors about distributor and he wasn't sure,parts I bought for the distributor are the same as 009,cap,rotor,points,condenser

Yea, parts manufacturers started to realise that making different parts for every car manufacturer wasted revenue so parts became more standardised.

The 009 was used on Fords in Europe and probably on many other cars too. The VW & 009 dizzy were the same diameter etc so cheaper to make for many cars again :)

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 11:13 AM

From what I understand, it seems that all the VW aircooled engines from 1968 were built with hardened valve seats to suit unleaded.

Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 11:47 AM

All VW had hardened valve seats and valve stems. It's because being air cooled the extra heat made the quality materials a necessity. In the Berg literature, Gene Berg mentions that cam profile designs changed in 1964 that promote better ex valve cooling and he uses this date/change to claim unleaded compatiblity. I never use or recommend any fuel aditives for use with unleaded fuel, it's just not necessary and is a waste of money IMO.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 26th, 2014 at 07:39 PM

Update,so I far have changed, points,dissy cap, rotor, condenser, plugs, leads, coil ,air filter, flexible fuel lines,cleaned carb, it winds over alright, but only half fires on one cylinder, starting to think that the distributor might be the next to replace, I know this might seem a stupid course of action due to this motor was a unknown project from the start. This engine was bought in a donor parts bug that I only need a few other parts including the 1600, it will be rebuilt and upgraded before going into project Bug,but after driving,repairing and have lots of fun in water-cooled junkers to supercars cars from all over the world for many years I thought aircooled would be simple enough, but to quote one of my service manuals 'vw engines can be fussy'.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Dying to get more buggy building time..

posted on August 26th, 2014 at 08:41 PM

Have you set the valves and checked compression yet mate? How long has it been sitting for? If the comp readings come back low a squirt of oil down each plug hole can do wonders for stuck rings etc..

It will all be OK in the end, if it's not OK it's not the end!
Memberpsimitar

posted on August 26th, 2014 at 09:57 PM

Have you taken each plug out and held to a good earth whilst cranking to ensure a nice fat blue spark at each plug?

Just cos parts are new don't mean they are any good these days especially with many of the VW parts suppliers selling cheap Brazilian/chinese tat. I remember once buying new plugs and each and every one was DOA just like a graphics card brand new from Harvey Norman. It happens more than you'd think it would these days :(

MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 26th, 2014 at 10:32 PM

vduboy haven't done any aircooled internal adjustments,also I don't have a decent compression tester at the moment,psimitar i know what you mean about new parts quality,all parts except for coil were bought from Micks motors,also hard to check alot of things during cranking engine when I am a one-man-band, have get back on my cloning project but still scared that more than one of me will be a problem

Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 26th, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Setting rocker clearances is a must from what I have learnt. .006 thou at stone cold engine.

Memberpsimitar

posted on August 27th, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadpan
vduboy haven't done any aircooled internal adjustments,also I don't have a decent compression tester at the moment,psimitar i know what you mean about new parts quality,all parts except for coil were bought from Micks motors,also hard to check alot of things during cranking engine when I am a one-man-band, have get back on my cloning project but still scared that more than one of me will be a problem

I dunno, a clone would be well handy sometimes :)

as for one person cranking I made a quick panel from some wire, coupla lights and 2 switches. So now I can crank the engine whilst standing next to it, turn the ignition on/off seperately and see if the oil and genny are ok. Pretty handy :)

Go To Top