Author: Subject:  Getting back in the vw world. FINALLY
MemberLiLBuggaH
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on October 1st, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Getting back in the vw world. FINALLY

After about 3 years of no bugs, I just cant do it anymore.

I had a project car that I bought when I was 16 that my dad had me convinced could be fixed and as I knew no better I bought it.
Well after 6 months of trying to fix it and getting no where I sought out advice from my father in law who restored a torana from the ground up I gave him pictures and found out the bug was stuffed, someone had cut and tried to reweld the beauty line and roof and had failed at doing so.
I relised the bug was a huge job and honestly couldn't do it myself so I sold her.
since then I have had a bub and planning my wedding and have decided to buy another one.
It has been so hard not having bugs in my life.
I have found my dream bug that is for sale at the moment and if I had the 10k he is asking for I would buy her in a heart beat.
I have decided that when the time comes to buy I will be doing a lot of checks over the car.

Sorry for the rant just feels so good to think in the next 12months I will have my dream car.

LiL72Bugger
MemberCamo
A.k.a.: Kev
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 209

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 1st, 2014 at 07:49 PM

That dream car that is 10k to buy will probably cost you 15-20k to build, unless you do every bit of it yourself (including spray painting).

When I was looking (2007), if someone said just buy one for 9k I would have said no way am I spending that much. Well I did my own build and the plan changed along the way and ended up costing a hell of a lot more. Just as a guide the efi/turbo engine I'm building has cost me 15k in parts and parts made (inlet plenums etc).

Not meaning to dampen your dreams, just communicating my experience and 2c worth.

Kev

I thought rebuilding a VW would be cheap - Shit I was wrong, just don't let the wife know !!!!

Click here for my (slowy) modded 1961 Beetle build.
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Side ways

posted on October 1st, 2014 at 08:13 PM

yeah its worth buying the best but still the most original car you can.

Even then its will still cost a lot to restore it but hellva lot cheaper and less frustrating than to build up one from a shitter car in the first place.

been there done that. Just last week that "mistake" was loaded on to a tow truck and gone to the scrap. New car rolled in to its place which took me 4+ years of solid searching to find.

And I'm much happier now :spin:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE

Go To Top