Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 893 | Total Replies: 15 | Thread Id: 107134 ]
Author: Subject:  Factory Cassette Player???
MemberAllbones
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on September 9th, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Factory Cassette Player???

Hey guys,

just wondering if any of the Old bugs came out with a factory cassette player option? And if so, we're there any pre-67?

I have a '64 and if there was a factory option (or a later model that will fit in the factory dash) I'd like to look at installing one.

Cheers, Allbones.
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 9th, 2014 at 02:50 PM

Basicially, No and No. In Australia there were no 'factory' radios of any sort. The cars left the Melbourne factory without them.

However, customers could order 'approved' radios through their VW dealer, and they were then fitted by the dealer before delivery. The Approved Accessories catalog listed a few different models, by Australian makers such as AWA, Kreisler, Arista and so on. There was also a large aftermarket car radio industry - that's how Dick Smith got started.

The compact cassette was not invented until 1962, and didn't enter production until late 1964 in Europe. These (and the compact car players to take them) took a few years to catch on in Australia and would not have been common here until the 1970s. Thanks to the arrival of cheap Japanese cars with all these sorts of extras, and all the aftermarket choices, AM/FM/cassette units became quite common by the late 1970s. I think a radio/cassette was optional for the Australian Golf and Passat at that time, but the Beetle had already ceased local sales.

Your VW was originally 6-volt, and as far as I am aware no one ever made a 6-volt car cassette player. If you find a good used 12V one, you'll have to fit an inverter unless you've already gone to 12V.

I used to have an '80s Voxson radio/cassette unit in my '64. It didn't fit the stock hole, which had to be enlarged in both dimensions.
MemberAllbones

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil74Camper
Basicially, No and No. In Australia there were no 'factory' radios of any sort. The cars left the Melbourne factory without them.

However, customers could order 'approved' radios through their VW dealer, and they were then fitted by the dealer before delivery. The Approved Accessories catalog listed a few different models, by Australian makers such as AWA, Kreisler, Arista and so on. There was also a large aftermarket car radio industry - that's how Dick Smith got started.

The compact cassette was not invented until 1962, and didn't enter production until late 1964 in Europe. These (and the compact car players to take them) took a few years to catch on in Australia and would not have been common here until the 1970s. Thanks to the arrival of cheap Japanese cars with all these sorts of extras, and all the aftermarket choices, AM/FM/cassette units became quite common by the late 1970s. I think a radio/cassette was optional for the Australian Golf and Passat at that time, but the Beetle had already ceased local sales.

Your VW was originally 6-volt, and as far as I am aware no one ever made a 6-volt car cassette player. If you find a good used 12V one, you'll have to fit an inverter unless you've already gone to 12V.

I used to have an '80s Voxson radio/cassette unit in my '64. It didn't fit the stock hole, which had to be enlarged in both dimensions.

Thanks very much for the reply, very informative.

I was hoping for an option that would fi in the stock location with no modification, so unlucky for me I guess.

Thanks for your time!

Allbones.
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 09:55 AM

There are places that sell reconditioned vintage car radios - the push-button AM radios with the local stations printed on them (BL, GB, UE, KY, UW, SM etc for Sydney) - that would fit in the stock location. I don't have any links but someone else here may have them. They advertise in the classic car magazines. But they are quite expensive!

Do you really want a cassette player? The tapes are really old now, the sound is crap, and they suffer dirty heads, worn rubber drive wheels, dirt in the mechanism and chewing up the tapes. Even good tape drives suffer from 'wow' and 'flutter'. The cassettes themselves can get hot and warp if left in the car on a hot day. I know all this from experience!

Why not a modern-style radio-CD-MP3-USB but with the retro '60s look? They fit straight in a VW dash. Vintage Veedub stock them (02) 9789 1777, and I think Mick Motors in QLD does too. They are advertised in VWMA.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Classic_Car_Radio/Classic+Car+Radio 
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Even CDs are a thing of the past now let alone cassettes.

My latest headunit is mechless, no tape or CD, just radio and usb/sd card and streams music from my phone via bluetooth.

the Retro sound ones are the same, no mech just bluetooth and Usb but have an old timey looking face and fit the stock radio hole with no cutting.
fairly pricey though.
MemberAllbones

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 01:58 PM

I'm not going for the look, I actually want the cassette player functionality. I have a rather extensive cassette collection and I thought it would have been cool to be able to listen to them while I drive.

I already have a CD/MP3/USB head unit in the golvebox aswell (fyi).

I just thought there may have been an option (factory or aftermarket) to put a cassette player into a bug without hacking up the dash.
MemberBetheeee
A.k.a.: Bethany
Casual Dubber

Threads: 6

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: Happy

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 02:12 PM

There are often car cassette players on Gumtree. Depending on where you want to have the player.... Also, you MIGHT be able to get a walkman type player, and hook it up through the headphone jack to play through the head you already have. That shouldn't take a lot of fiddling really

Fräulein Helga - '66 1300 Beetle (Helga for short)
MemberAllbones

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 03:33 PM

Aware of all the ways I can sort out playing cassettes, I was just looking for cool way to satisfy the purist in me. :) Was hoping there may have been something kiciking about from the '60-'70's that I could have used, without having to cut up the dash and staying true to the car.

Cheers for the input everyone :)

Allbones.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 04:34 PM

If only you had asked me about 6 months ago :crazy:
I had exactly what you wanted, an Alpine analogue tape deck that was removed from my friends early 80s RX7.

I do still have another Clarion tape deck here which is actually brand new, removed when car was bought new for a CD player but its a normal DIN chassis so wont fit your dash without cutting.
Memberoldskoolguy

Threads: 13

Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on September 10th, 2014 at 05:40 PM

Underdash ones are still available if you keep an eye out.
These are just two of a few I found. I like the Audiovox. Good luck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1979-PIONEER-KP-575-CASSETTE-DECK-CAR-/180831...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dean-Winchester-Impala-Rampage-AV-2000-style-Audiovox...

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on September 11th, 2014 at 08:26 PM

I have an AM/FM/cassette in my Beetle that came out of an 80's Mazda RX7 (I think). It has rotary control knobs and fitted without cutting the dash. It also has external amplifiers and a graphic equaliser. The radio works (I only run the rear amp as I don't have front speakers yet). I can check whether the cassette still works. If it does work and looks ok, I will send you a PM as I intend replacing the unit soon
Cheers.........Wayne
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on September 11th, 2014 at 10:04 PM

This is an ad from the 1980s. I doubt whether it actually would fit in a 1960s VW dash hole.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberAllbones

posted on September 12th, 2014 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hulbyw
I have an AM/FM/cassette in my Beetle that came out of an 80's Mazda RX7 (I think). It has rotary control knobs and fitted without cutting the dash. It also has external amplifiers and a graphic equaliser. The radio works (I only run the rear amp as I don't have front speakers yet). I can check whether the cassette still works. If it does work and looks ok, I will send you a PM as I intend replacing the unit soon
Cheers.........Wayne

That'd be great thanks Wayne, good to see there are options out there, this is exactly what I have been chasing!

Thanks for all the input guys, I wasnt expecting this much of a response :D

Allbones.
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on September 24th, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Sorry to take so long Allbones, The ejector doesn't work on the cassette and the cassette door is missing. So probably not much use to you.
Cheers.......Wayne
MemberAllbones

posted on September 25th, 2014 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hulbyw
Sorry to take so long Allbones, The ejector doesn't work on the cassette and the cassette door is missing. So probably not much use to you.
Cheers.......Wayne

Thanks for trying anyways mate, cheers :)
MemberSpecial Air Service
Custom Title Time!
Chief "Gunna"

No Avatar

Threads: 210

Mood: In desperate need of a decent sleep

posted on September 30th, 2014 at 10:05 AM

maybe this one ?

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=107307 

[size=5]

Calling all NSW Mid North Coast Veedubbers