Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 25th, 2015 at 09:55 PM
Australian highways and freeways comparable to Germanys roads

It seems we have something about our road system in Australia that is comparable to Germany's great arterial road system, including the autbahn. We still have a way to go, but we are getting there and are one of the countries of the world getting closest to being like Germany's road system

It has been noted that we have most of our slow drivers sticking to the RH lane, which is exactly how the road system operates in Germany. Faster cars overtake on the left, as do most cars here on our Australian freeways. We are not at 100% compliant with having all slow cars in the RH lane, but the percentage is always increasing.

Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on August 25th, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Thats funny 8)

23 windows ...8 too many!
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on August 25th, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I heard Ireland had a 1 week trial of having all the cars driving on the Left hand side of the road. Apparently it was so successful, they were going to trial it for another week with trucks & busses on the left as well. lol

From your ole' mate Jeff
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on August 26th, 2015 at 08:08 AM

:lol:
Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

posted on August 26th, 2015 at 09:33 AM

Come to WA 90% of slow drivers drive on the right side doing ten under...and they are happy to stay there & not get out of your way...i just got back from usa and now notice so much more that they honestly dont give a shit,they drive like they are the only one on the road...i could go on but honestly they are a special bunch!!! So maybe they are already trialling here without actually knowing,ha....
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 558

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on August 26th, 2015 at 11:16 AM

I was on a 3 lane road the other day, 100 kph zone, a learner was sitting in the middle lane with cars coming up to her and swerving around I tried to tell them to move over but they ignored me, moron teaching a moron

I've noticed quiet a few times when people merge onto a freeway that they go straight to right lane even though the left lane is clear
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on August 26th, 2015 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnfabo
Come to WA 90% of slow drivers drive on the right side doing ten under...

The rest of them are cluttering up my damn local roads looking for wildflowers, 70 in a 110 zone, 3 caravans nose-to-tail so "NONE SHALL PASS!", drifting 2 foot over double lines over blind crests and round corners while staring at canola paddocks and wattles.

I had to stop and pull OFF THE ROAD once on my bike, it was single lane bitumen but still nearly 4m wide so plenty of room, but there was this caravan smack in the middle of the road coming towards me, I pulled over just shaking my head, and as he passed he abused me and told me to watch where I was going! :lol:

I can't wait for October when temps get over 40*C every day and they all bugger off.
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on August 26th, 2015 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
I've noticed quiet a few times when people merge onto a freeway that they go straight to right lane even though the left lane is clear

Thats my pet hate merge means merge not turn right!!!!

23 windows ...8 too many!
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: BUSted, BUGgered & NOTCHed

posted on August 27th, 2015 at 08:08 AM

I thought we had reasonably good drivers in Australia, with the usual bagging of other states of course. Came home from 2 years overseas and on the way home had to brake for a Rangie doing a 3 lane swap without indicating!
I have to have a medium or heavy rigid licence to drive a bus but I see caravans towed by cars and 4wds that are as big driven by aging persons who probably seldom drove little own towed before their retirement. On a car licence no less. And don't get me started on 5th wheelers!
I'm not against caravaners, grey haired nomads or aging travellers, so don't get me wrong. I envy their passion to get and see the country. But maybe a licence or at least a test/instruction period before they are allowed to tow anythig bigger than a box trailer.
My 2c worth...
Now I'm going back to my retirement plans on my super trick B Double!

[size=5]DUBS BY THE RIVER2021[/size] Morgan SA - Sept 18-19 2021

Currently suffering from delusions of sanity!
Membermactaylor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 54

Mood: even my dog is german

posted on August 27th, 2015 at 09:11 AM

We do a lot of oversize work all over Australia, Our drivers are constantly having close calls with absolute idiots doing the most strange things, like driving the wrong way up an on ramp, undercutting at an intersection, flying up behind the oversize load and slamming on their brakes right next too the pilot car, just too name a few in the last week! I should write a log on all of there close calls! would be a good read in a few years.

EVERLAST CONCRETE TANKS
1800 552 123
Memberlandfall
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 36

posted on August 27th, 2015 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wombatventures
I thought we had reasonably good drivers in Australia, with the usual bagging of other states of course. Came home from 2 years overseas and on the way home had to brake for a Rangie doing a 3 lane swap without indicating!
I have to have a medium or heavy rigid licence to drive a bus but I see caravans towed by cars and 4wds that are as big driven by aging persons who probably seldom drove little own towed before their retirement. On a car licence no less. And don't get me started on 5th wheelers!
I'm not against caravaners, grey haired nomads or aging travellers, so don't get me wrong. I envy their passion to get and see the country. But maybe a licence or at least a test/instruction period before they are allowed to tow anythig bigger than a box trailer.
My 2c worth...
Now I'm going back to my retirement plans on my super trick B Double!

As an ex driving instructor, I couldn't agree more. x2+
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on August 27th, 2015 at 06:11 PM

When I was in Germany 10 years ago, I was doing 185kmh on the Autobahn in the centre lane, and an AUDI passed me on the LH side like I was parked on the side of the road. They were doing 280kmh easy. Great roads, with a car that can do the speed, and drivers that are aware, makes for some quick travelling.

Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 07:41 AM

Google maps a street view of Peterborough's main st mactaylor. We'd get a dozen or more WideLoads a week. Still the locals have no idea what to do when one's coming.
Poor truck drvers must hate the place.

MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 08:32 AM

From 'The Examiner' on-line ( http://www.examiner.com/article/the-country-with-the-best-drivers-rated-from-...)

Germany has the most disciplined drivers with very little patience for drivers who are not quick to move on a green light or executing a turn, etc. This examiner would rate the Germans as the best drivers of all the countries visited. Germans are the most technical and for example, know all the data displayed on a tire. Germans are required to attend driver training before given a driver’s license. Part of the training is technical data not normally understood by other country drivers. They must take first-aid training as part of the driver course.

Germans also drive more roadworthy cars due to required technical inspections. No German-registered road vehicle may be operated on public roads without a certificate from the TάV. Technischer Uberwachungs-Veren or TUV stands for Technical Inspection Association. In most cases the certificate has to be renewed every two years. A pass in the mandatory roadworthiness and smog test is indicated by tamper-proof decals on the license plate. German drivers fear the TUV similar to Americans fearing the IRS. Germans are not permitted to change the tire size or add fog lights without approval from the TUV.

Learning to drive in Germany is a rather costly process. For the normal license you have to do a mandatory 14 theoretical lessons, 12 practical lessons (4 motorway, 3 night time, 5 country roads), and then however number of actual lessons are required for the actual driving process. Then come extra costs for the test itself and getting the license. In total the costs for learning and getting a license are €1,400 to €2,000. (US $1820 - $2600) $1.30 equals 1.00 Euro

Note that the lessons as described above really are mandatory. And you must pay an authorized instructor to teach you. Unlike in other countries, such as the UK, it is not legal to take free lessons from a friend or family member.

Here is a breakdown of the average costs:

* Registration & Theory classes: €130-199
* 12 Special lessons (mandatory): €420-495
* Theory Test: €49-66
* Practical Test: €130-160
* KVR application: €45
* TUV exam: €87.81

Those are the items that must be paid. The 12 special lessons involve the normal roads, autobahn, and night driving.

Normal driving lessons range from about €25 to €32. Most first-time learners require 10 to 20 lessons. Although this is obviously different for everyone.

So assuming no outside assistance, and let's say 15 of the normal lessons, the cost is approximately €1500 (but probably more) and about 3 to 4 months before qualified to get on the road.

A learner driver could, in theory, get some extra free practice by jumping in someone else's car in some carpark somewhere. But if the police catch you you're in deep doodoo (which, in all likelihood folks, WILL happen, as curising local car parks looking for evil is probably high on criminal activity agenda).

There are approximately 18,000 driving schools in Germany with safety equipped cars meaning that they are designed with dual steering wheels and brakes for instructor use and they are clearly marked as "Fahrschule". Here in Tallahassee the American Safety Institute, located on Hwy 90 at Chaires Cross Roads (Across from BP Station) has a Traffic School. It is owned and operated by Bart Cassidy who has over 30 years experience in traffic safety. Cassidy says, "From the beginning every educational program your teen should be given in person by a competent educated great driver, that's a reality. Anyone who tells you different and suggest that the internet works just as well, be cautious they either don't know what they are talking about or they are trying to make money. DO it right the first time." The Institute has an excellent driver training program for teens and use special equipped cars.
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 09:24 AM

And that is how it should be here, Phil ! However, I cannot see any government here having the 'balls' to introduce such a scheme. :no:

If that system WAS introduced here, it would be an absolute pleasure to drive on our roads, because :-

A. There woud be very few cars on the roads, as not many current drivers would pass the tests, and

B. Those drivers who DID pass, would be of a high standard.

We can only dream. :(

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Membervinsueball
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 02:24 PM

I reckon there'd be a few less cars on teh road as well if there was a need to have them roadworthy checked every 2 years !!:rolleyes:
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vinsueball
I reckon there'd be a few less cars on teh road as well if there was a need to have them roadworthy checked every 2 years !!:rolleyes:

Please don't say that :lol::lol:
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 06:07 PM

I was talking to a German a few months ago about motorbikes, and he was saying it is about 1500 Euro to get a motorbike licence with all of the training and hours and testing you must pass.

Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 07:04 PM

I got my bike license from the local copper when I rode the thing up to the Police Station to get my learners permit.
He already knew I could ride........
:smilegrin:
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on August 28th, 2015 at 07:18 PM

Years ago at a SVA on the Stuart Highway I arrived on the scene after a few others. Two German ladies in a hire car that were there before me could not believe that the vehicle did not have reflector triangles and a first aid kit in the boot.
"All vehicles in Germany are made to have These!"
At least in my tour vehicle there was a pretty comprehensive First Aid Kit and a radio. Took an hour and a quarter for the ambos to get 98km from Alice. Lucky one of the local surgeons was heading south for his holidays.
Well into my second million klicks and I'd bet I wouldn't get through a proper test first go.

MemberCarl and Emily
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 38

posted on August 29th, 2015 at 03:42 PM

We've driven on the auto bahn and it was a scary experience for us because of the differential speed of the various types of vehicles.
Truck's were limited to 90klms.
Our hire car would do 130klms flat strap. (Diesel Renault Clio.)
and then the big German cars doing 200klms plus.

Have you seen some of the accidents they have on those roads !!! I'm glad it's not like that here.

Driving in the USA was a much better experience.
and to my understanding they have less regulation than us.
But I think the key is driver education starts in school.
Fancy that,.. learning something in school that can be applied to real life!!!

Maybe the solution to our highway woes is to introduce a version of the State troopers to patrol the highways like in the USA.
Everyone over there knows not to mess with them. Perhaps then people would think more about how they drive.

Oh!! but wait,.. the Govt. wouldn't have as much money to spend on fixed speed camera's catching people doing 5klms over,.. or street calming that ruins suspension and chicanes that wear out tyres.
The Govt. goes on about the environment,.. I wonder if they've done a study on the impact of extra fuel usage and car parts/ tyres from street calming.

If only people would do what's right we wouldn't need all this regulation and expense.
Ahh! utopia!
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on August 29th, 2015 at 05:01 PM

Short time ago I spent a few days in Luzern, Switzerland, only talking city here but there are sheet loadsofpushies, motor scooters an cars on the same streets, no dedicated bike tracks, and nota bike helmet to be seen, there are dedicated bike lanes for the pushiest, they are often IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD BETWEEN MOTORISED VEHICLELANES, every one respected the other road uses and traffic and pedestrians had the same respect for each other. Marvellous how it all worked well. Respect and consideration is the key. Only bad thing was no old water cooled dubs, well not that I saw

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on August 29th, 2015 at 07:01 PM

Street calming makes me irrate! :lol:
Needs name to be changed to Street Irritation Devices!
I lived on a street that had those wide paved speed bumps put in. From five houses away you could hear every car hitting them!
Chicanes seem to encourage drivers to see how fast they can get through them too!
Gotta love the intelligence of those who consider them neccesary.
Instilling driver intelligence, now there's a thought.:starhit:

Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on September 8th, 2015 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beetleboyjeff
I heard Ireland had a 1 week trial of having all the cars driving on the Left hand side of the road....

When I'm overseas, I am occasionally asked on which side of the road we drive in Australia.

I always reply that we drive on both sides, as it evens out the wear on the roads and reduces head-on accidents.

Of course, that's one side when leaving and the other when returning.

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on September 8th, 2015 at 08:16 PM

:lol:
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on September 10th, 2015 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by modulus

When I'm overseas, I am occasionally asked on which side of the road we drive in Australia.

I always reply that we drive on both sides, as it evens out the wear on the roads and reduces head-on accidents.

Of course, that's one side when leaving and the other when returning.

hth

Central Australian Dirt road driving, Against the grain is better on the corrugations!

Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on September 15th, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Australian driver logic 101

http://i.imgur.com/XuwouuC.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on September 15th, 2015 at 12:41 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/53/531b2cdc6751b9e3f2bb03ff02d5d8945b25ac92155a0553250a541618214e94.jpg

hahah this is calder freeway near calder park where they increased the limit from 80 to 100 the other week. People are driving even slower and speeding even more in the 80 zone.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/56/56de3d9f5f1b732cd82c77072c1698a1a9e81af7413e8942c7c31a3377879268.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on September 18th, 2015 at 05:20 PM

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Y2HKBQMQmbw#t=116 

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 558

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on September 18th, 2015 at 06:01 PM

They made the M5 east 3 lanes, now everyone drives in the middle lane, leaves the left lane clear for me
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top