Author: Subject:  Accelerator (Jerking)
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on December 18th, 2015 at 08:57 AM
Accelerator (Jerking)

Hey!

I am now the proud owner of a lovely '71 S Bug. Had her serviced and now runs exceptionally, which is a testament to the guys at Custom Vee Dub. My only concern is that when I release my accelerator pedal suddenly, like when changing gears, she jerks a bit before running smoothly again.

This doesn't happen every gear change (more prominent in the lower gears though), and I'm not sure if it was the way I was driving the car ( say, I need to be more gentle when bringing the accelerator pedal up than when compared to a "normal" car, or I need to be firmer with the accelerator when changing gears ) or whether the accelerator pedal or some other aspect needs to be investigated.

I should point out, just in case it is related, that the mechanic also noticed a flat spot in the carburetor, and had a play date with it to get it sorted. He was 90% happy with his work when I picked up the car, and said that if I had any problems with it that he'd get it sorted.

Oh, and thank you in advance for any replies, since I do appreciate it.

Gaston.

I hand out apologies like beating-red apples... Since trees can only bear fruit if it's root is planted in the soil of sincerity.
Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on December 22nd, 2015 at 08:29 PM

Is it running a 009 dizzy?

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on December 22nd, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Smoothest running for a stock 1600 Twin Port will be an SVDA Single Vacuum Dual Advance distributor. They are available new for about $180. The original factory distributor for most 1971 1600's was vacuum only, no mechanichal advance. VW Australia replaced them under warranty they were so bad. Been through it all with our 1971 1600 last year.

MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on December 23rd, 2015 at 01:15 PM

Thanks psimitar and hellbus, I think the distributor is my problem.

Its running a 009 (Bosch 0 231 178 009), which with further investigation from here ( http://www.ratwell.com/technical/IgnitionSystem.html ), based on your comments, would explain why the accelerator pedal is unhappy. The site also noted that it causes a flat spot near idle, which might be the culprit of the aforementioned flat spot.

So thanks for pointing me towards the distributor, and I will look into an SVDA single vacuum dual advance distributor for my little bug.

I hand out apologies like beating-red apples... Since trees can only bear fruit if it's root is planted in the soil of sincerity.
Memberpsimitar

posted on December 23rd, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Cool beans dude :)

And just in case you wondered, cos it can confuse people, the DA of SVDA just means that the SV forms one of the advance mechanisms and the other is formed my a mechanical advance mechanism but isn't part of the acronym :)

MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on December 24th, 2015 at 09:29 AM

I thought that SVDA was Single Vacuum Distributor Advance and DVDA was Dual Vacuum Distributor Advance? (But I am just guessing)

The dual vacuum distributors were a cheat to get around the Australian pollution laws. But Volkswagen wouldn't do that, would they?:smilegrin:

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
Memberpsimitar

posted on December 24th, 2015 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AA003
I thought that SVDA was Single Vacuum Distributor Advance and DVDA was Dual Vacuum Distributor Advance? (But I am just guessing)

The dual vacuum distributors were a cheat to get around the Australian pollution laws. But Volkswagen wouldn't do that, would they?:smilegrin:

well most people seem to refer to a vac and mech dizzy as being an SVDA these days. Whether or not it's the correct use of the term, who's to say? :)

Memberyasdnil01
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 33

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange

posted on December 25th, 2015 at 01:22 PM

have them also check the gearbox front trans mounts as that can cause the
car to jerk if old and perished as it rubs the gas peddle cable
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on December 27th, 2015 at 07:10 PM

Thanks yasdnil01, I'll be sure to take that into account when I go to the shop next. I'll take a look at the distributor first, mainly due to the fact that it is an 009, and if that doesn't amend it the front trans mounts will be investigated.

Oh, and thanks again for all your help. Its been much appreciated.

Go To Top