Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 758 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 112356 ]
Author: Subject:  Vw type 3 engine hot/oil leak?
MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 20th, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Vw type 3 engine hot/oil leak?

Hi all,
Sadly I had a small engine fire on my type 3 which was no fault but my own silly mistake was a live and learn moment.

However all back up and running now had to replace rh carb, leads, wiring etc however took it for its first decent drive yesterday it went fine as before however it did start to splutter losing power then clear it self then same again but idled fine. Got home and the engine everywhere was so hot.
Then I noticed that there was oil bubbling on the rear two bolts on the oil breather stand (pic attached). Can anyone help out with any suggestions to what could be causing this?
I had to clean out the breather and replace the cap that's all the work that was done in the area.
Any help would be great.
Thank you
https://s18.postimg.org/k44qxtb45/IMG_1029.jpg
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on April 20th, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Wow. I'm no Type 3 expert but sounds like you got VERY hot. Did you have the cooling air intake bellows on the back of the engine? If not it just circulates hotter and hotter air through the engine. EVERY piece of tin and rubber on and around a VW engine is absolutely essential. Good luck. Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 20th, 2017 at 01:47 PM

Thanks Tony,
Didn't have the fan bellow as was in the process of ordering one however it ran fine before without.
I'm starting to think that when the fire occurred it melted the cap on the oil breather. So maybe the plastic melted and dried inside and created a blockage because to have oil seeping out on the pedastal stand nuts says to me something is going horribly wrong down there even though I can feel back pressure/air coming out the top of the breather
MemberACE76
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: ACE 30 FOR SALE!

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Sadly, if you take it for any "decent drive" without the bellows etc. all fitted securely, the engine will probably be destroyed through overheating. The oil bubbling out is probably due to "blow-by" from distorted clyinder walls/rings (may be permanent/terminal damage from this), or serious foaming from very over-heated oil, leading to lubrication failure (may not be serious damage IF you stopped in time). If it didn't actually seize (stop) you may have "got away with it".
There should be no, or little, air/flow felt at the breather tube at idle; some movemnet may be felt as the engine is revved. If there is a lot of flow (blow-by) at idle, the enhine may be worn out/broken.

ACE 30 & ACE 40 oil: specially formulated for your Air Cooled Engine...
Delivery free Outer Eastern Melb. & Dandenong Ranges.
from$19 for 2.5L (spot-on for 1 fill, re-use bottle to measure), or $29 for 5L (2 fills)

Go To Top