Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on August 21st, 2020 at 06:22 PM
Front Suspension Question

I have a '68 ball joint front suspension that I have had Avis adjusters welded in. I will be lowering the front of the bug a max of 2", likely about 1 to 1 1/2" and am wondering whether I should fit caster shims. I have the shims and longer bolts. Just wondering what others have done when lowering a BJ front beam a relatively small amount and how heavy caster shims are likely to make the steering when parking
Cheers ..........Wayne
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

posted on September 3rd, 2020 at 09:39 PM

No one lowered a BJ beam?
Another question if I may. If I fit caster shims, do I need to rotate the steering box mount a little so that the steering coupler runs true?
Cheers
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on September 6th, 2020 at 09:27 AM

Good to have the forum back.....
Castor shims make it sit straighter on the highway but make it heavier on the street, parking etc. Everything is a compromise. I think they're great, particularly with a larger standard steering wheel. Give them a go, can't hurt, if you don't like them then take them back out. Not sure but I reckon you'll get away with not moving the steering box initially, just for the test, but you might have to move it for the long term. You should re-set the wheel alignment if you move the box.
Cheers
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on September 6th, 2020 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bevoracing
Good to have the forum back.....
Castor shims make it sit straighter on the highway but make it heavier on the street, parking etc. Everything is a compromise. I think they're great, particularly with a larger standard steering wheel. Give them a go, can't hurt, if you don't like them then take them back out. Not sure but I reckon you'll get away with not moving the steering box initially, just for the test, but you might have to move it for the long term. You should re-set the wheel alignment if you move the box.
Cheers
Tony

You are right Tony castor will make the steering return to straight ahead but too much will give you the shopping trolley wobbles, back in the 1970's we used to crank the castor up on the Valiants to make them steer and handle well. A good wheel alignment is always necessary after alterations.
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

posted on September 9th, 2020 at 10:55 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciated.
Cheers

Go To Top