Memberkarmannghia60
Custom Title Time!
Karmann Ghia Sucker

Threads: 388

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 12th, 2003 at 09:07 AM
Front beam

I want to pull it off to recondition the whole thing. Two questions:
1) What would need replacing apart from the L&K pins?
2) the dickhead of a PO welded one side of the beam to the frame because the bolts were rusty. Are the original bolts welded to the frame or go straight through it? I mean once I cut the non original welds to get the beam off. Do I have to take the car to someone to weld bolts on or I just stick the bolts from one side of the frame through to the other side and bolt the beam to it?
Actually one more question, is it worth putting adjusters on it while I am at it? I would like to lower the car slightly but not on the ride quality expense
Raf
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on September 12th, 2003 at 10:54 AM
K and L Front ends

Quote:

1) What would need replacing apart from the L&K pins?

Guessing nothing is bent, check out your trailing arms for wear and also slop in the tubes, you may need to replace the roller bearings, but they are usually right. Apart from that your usual steering and wheel bearings. The K & L are usually pretty good unless they have been in one of my buggies :D

Quote:

2) the dickhead of a PO welded one side of the beam to the frame because the bolts were rusty. Are the original bolts welded to the frame or go straight through it? I mean once I cut the non original welds to get the beam off. Do I have to take the car to someone to weld bolts on or I just stick the bolts from one side of the frame through to the other side and bolt the beam to it?

The frame has a type of welded captive nuts in it. You can easily run a drill through the frame head if you like and use a same grade bolt which is longer and put a nut on it. I do this on buggies and add a larger support plate behind the frame head to ensure they don't pull out. You can often just get away by running a tap through the original hole and cleaning it up.

Quote:

worth putting adjusters on it while I am at it?

Yes, they are worth like $70 a pr and pretty easy to put in. A little bit of time now will be well worth it when you are playing around with ride heights.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia

Go To Top