A.k.a.: Darryl Hall
Wolfsburg Wizard
Qld Manx

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

buggy.gif posted on December 11th, 2003 at 10:18 AM

Quote:"So where did you see my tyres??? "

============================================================

I looked at the picture of your Buggy in the Members section of the Manx Club.

But you have posted better pics.

The Street Tyres on the Beach work Ok just need the tyre pressures right.

MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

Threads: 129

Mood: What the crap?

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick H
stick a set of my rears on and dig your way to China!:bounce

but I already can! I just find some soft sand, slow down and then gas it and viola! the rear end digs in. but that's the problem!

I was thinking of spending the cash and getting either a set of Super Swampers (pic 1), SS TSL Boggers (Pic 2), or SS TSL SX (pic 3). I'm leaning towards the SX's cause they've got better sidewall protection and tread with the same tread pattern as the original SS. whad'ya rekon?
Membertonyg
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 15

Mood: lost in the deep north

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 07:27 PM

Like I said before, smooth round shouldered tyres work best on sand. Useless on mud, illegal on road. They dont make lots of little hills of sand to have to roll over, hence more power to forward motion. Look at it at a macrpo level. less aggressive pattern for sand opposite for mud.
my 2c worth (again)
tonyg

they took me away haha, hope the medication works
Memberhelterskelter400
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 62

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 07:57 PM

as before, i'm with tonyg.

i dont know about high hp motors but i know my low hp 1600 and that its better in sand with big baggy rounded profle tyres - down to 5pound & less when stuck & tide is rising and darkness is falling...

:thumb
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 09:49 PM

I really think you would be wasting your hard earnt cash unless either they are - legal on the road or will fit under your guards. Your money might be better spent getting some clearance and height first and sticking to some more practical tyre combo (MTR's etc). The ones fitted to mine are Toyo Tranpath series 2 10.5 R15. They do not offer the amount of sidewall protection of the MTR's but I don't do a lot of rock work !! Cape York 4wd hire use Toyo's on all their vehicles as they were the best that they tried in the sand and mud and shedded mud well. They use MTR's if they go to very rocky locations. The only downside to the Toyo is that they are directional tyres but they are also lighter than other brands:bounce. Good luck!!! Just my opinion......

tssnq.com.au
MemberMickH
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 10:12 PM

There ya go....get someone ta pic em up 4 ya. 2 for the rear and 2 spares. Sell the rims......:bounce
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2448707028&cate...

tssnq.com.au
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on December 21st, 2003 at 03:16 PM

I've changed my mind I'm gonna go with the BFG Mud tires. there was a really (they were almost smooth and you could see wires in one bit) really worn pair of them on the back of Dozer when wew got it. Damn the list keeps getting longer not shorter... i need a new carbie, front and back tires, rust removal, water proofing, new shocks possibly, lift the front end, and then maybe a body lift so I can put bigger tires underneath. It didn't use to be this long!
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on December 22nd, 2003 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by helterskelter400
as before, i'm with tonyg...

better in sand with big baggy rounded profle tyres...

I'm not convinced. I have never seen bald old aircraft style tyres do any better on a buggy / baja in the real soft stuff.

For the bald theory to work, you need to be crawling through the sand. Working on the going slow and having the tyres float over everything. Now on a 2+ tonne 4WD with no power, I have seen this technique successfully used with 1st gear low range.

However, if you are in a buggy / baja and the sand is really soft, the front wheels will try to stop you. the going slow and floating technique is obviously not working and that is why the car is starting to get stuck. We all saw at Fraser that anyone attempting the go slow technique got stuck.

In the really soft QLD fine summer sand, the best way to get through the really soft bits is with heaps of speed and a heavy foot. I don't see how bald tyres could be any better in this situation. I tried the one cutting slow with even throttle, I got stuck. I then tried it with a medium amount of speed, and a constant throttle, I got stuck again. Then I tried it going fast with lots of sand digging throttle, and it made it through fine.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on December 22nd, 2003 at 10:09 AM

I havent had a great deal of sand driving experience, just the beach trip once or twice a year, and I'm using All Terrains on the Kombi, the year before last I was running 14psi in the tyres and it went OK, last year I ran 10psi and noticed a huge difference in how much easier it was. Also I've noticed all the Baja Bugs over on Moreton Island are using the Bald Aircraft tyres and these are the guys who live there and use them everyday to go fishing etc.

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Memberhelterskelter400
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 62

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on December 22nd, 2003 at 10:33 AM

man, the last thing i want to do in deep puss ridden sand is go slow. you gotta get up & plane on the surface.

just like the bike, get up on the pegs, get the weight back & fang it. (mind you, the last thing i want on the bike is a bald tyre - but then; its got HP).

low hp and big lugged tyres dont let me get any speed, no power to snatch 2nd & so you just paddle it through in 1st or get bogged.

this is where the big bagsters are meant to save you from getting bogged, if you do come to a stop, you can spin them & snatch 2nd hopefully avouding digging in, slowing down & going down.

i spose the theroy is that if you do go down, the big bags help to lift the wheels back to the surface & get you planeing rather than just chewing your way through on your pan like a paddle steamer.

i will undertake more research this summer...

:thumb
Memberdaz67
Wolfsburg Wizard
Qld Manx

posted on December 22nd, 2003 at 06:01 PM

Quote:"We all saw at Fraser that anyone attempting the go slow technique got stuck. "
==========================================================================================

Wes, I do beleive you are incorrect, only the big fat Baja's got stuck going slow.

The Buggies Kicked Ass.......
I crawled upto where you got stuck, then stopped as the trailer was being recovered. Then from a standing start, drove up the side track which was uphill even further.
For all those guys running 16 psi in your tyres, air down, I had 5-6 psi in both rears, drove around on Fraser for a week, towed a Landcruiser, snatched Brad(nearly out of his seat), towed Terry in the Country Bug through Indian Head and drove everywhere without a drama, even waited to make sure the hilux was safe a couple of times(It was).

Final Words AIR PRESSURE !!!!!!!!!:thumb

MemberMickH
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

posted on December 22nd, 2003 at 06:44 PM

I agree.....and practice:bounce:tree

tssnq.com.au
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 23rd, 2003 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daz67
Wes, I do beleive you are incorrect, only the big fat Baja's got stuck going slow.

The Buggies Kicked Ass.......
I crawled upto where you got stuck, then stopped as the trailer was being recovered. Then from a standing start, drove up the side track which was uphill even further.

two problems. (1) - you weren't going that slow and you didn't stop in the soft stuff.

(2) - you were running mud tyres, so the bald tyre technique couldn't have helped.

What I am saying is I have never seen the bald tyres go any better than anything else. Tom had balding tyres on his buggy, it got stuck. Terry had a country buggy with very bald soft sidewall tyres with very little pressure, he got stuck (granted they were quite thin).

I don't want to run 5psi with slippery chrome rims and a V6 unless I get some bead locks, as I am scared of ripping the tyres off the rims.

I just know when I ran bald tyres on my car on the beach it sucked.

When we went to fraser last year, I did it very easy, with mud tyres. This year I had to go harder to make it, maybe the sand was softer, maybe the V6 has made the Baja too heavy. Since so many buggies got stuck, I will bet on the soft sand this year.

Other cars that went well, Daz, mud tyres. Brad went ok but the slowest I saw him go was about 60kph so I am sure momentum helped.

When I have been to stockton two cars have gone particularly well. Mike Sharp, running 15 inch wide very agressive rear tyres, and Kevin jones running 33inch tall mud tyres.

All I am saying is I have never seen the bald tyre technique work on a VW. And there is no way mud tyres are any worse than bald tyres.

What I really need is some sand paddles... :D

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Memberdaz67
Wolfsburg Wizard
Qld Manx

posted on December 23rd, 2003 at 05:35 PM

QUOTE:"(1) - you weren't going that slow and you didn't stop in the soft stuff. "

==========================================================================================

Check the Video, I stopped where the Land cruiser dropped the trailer, I then started again and drove up the hill to the side. Not sure If you have the e-mail I sent but I have proposed a Day at Bribie Island equiped with some comparison tyres.
What do you think?
We could make a day of it and learn something along the way.

Oh Yeah, Buggies Rule!!!!!!

Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on December 23rd, 2003 at 11:47 PM

Hmmmm......Bribie Island, Old 33 inch BFG Mudders & Kombi's dont mix......well not in my experience anyway

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Memberbajaman64
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Mood: Bent n Twisted

posted on December 23rd, 2003 at 11:52 PM

Has anyone used Simex Centipede MT's?
I was going to get a set of BFG muddies but not so sure now. From what i have heard, the Simex tyres weigh less than the BFG's and from what i see on the web site, they are just as aggressive. This cant be bad if you have an underpowered car.
Will be interested in the results from the test session on Bribie island.

Todd :jesus
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 24th, 2003 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daz67
Check the Video

I will have to get a copy off Brad and I will check it, but your still running mud tyres.

Quote:
Not sure If you have the e-mail I sent ...

No, no I don't. What email address did you send it to this time? my email address is baja@offroadvw.net .

Memberbajaman64
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 24th, 2003 at 09:53 PM

Had a look at and got a quote today for Simex Centipedes. Only $170 each fitted! That is $100 each cheaper than BFG muddies. They only come in 31 10.5x15.
I noticed the sidewall felt thinner and the compound was softer than the BFG's.
Check them out yourself. I couldnt justify the extra $100 each.

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 26th, 2003 at 05:02 PM

Simex are awesome tyres, if you can get a set for $170 each, go for it :thumb

they look real cool :cool:

Memberdaz67
Wolfsburg Wizard
Qld Manx

buggy.gif posted on December 26th, 2003 at 07:34 PM

Quote:"Had a look at and got a quote today for Simex Centipedes. Only $170 each fitted! "

Man that sounds too cheap....
Just check and make sure they fit within your torsion bars, my Mud tyres only just fit.

Memberbajaman64
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

thumbup.gif posted on December 29th, 2003 at 10:03 PM

With 3x3 trailing arms, space is not a problem. Wider and longer. Now i just have to get them. $$$$

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on December 29th, 2003 at 10:54 PM
Man

I can't believ this thread is still going.

Boozer - FORGET TYRES get some ground clearance front and rear before you do anything else. Then better gearing and then maybe tyres.

If anyone out there wants to run simex or Baja Claws or any other hard core 4 x 4 tyre you had better be ready to break stuff and get stuck lots. If you can't spin them then you will go NO WHERE in your buggy / baja. Yeah you can crawl but one wheel only tracks for so long then you need momentum to get you through.

The Fraser trip saw a lot of people getting stuck in the sand. It was no softer than any other year. I got STUCK due to my own stupid driving, no other reason. I could have been in the hilux with lockers and still been stuck by pulling off the track like I did.

I ran 15 PSI on fraser cause I stuffed up my deflators and used the hilux one. Then I was to busy gas bagging to bother checking them.

My buggy will happily crawl with 5 PSI in the rear tyres anywhere it feels like (within reason)on sand and yes I am happy to prove it. I run Street tyres.

Driving on sand is all about tyre pressure and has nothing to do with pattern. I have articles here where they have done exactly what Dazcat suggestes with $wd at Stockton and had to eat their words as the cheese cutters worked just as well as the 10rs with the same pressure in.

The old Aeroplane tyre crap is just that. I have tried them and they are a myth. Pre modern tyres, yes they were best but that was 30 years ago. Current tyres are better, safer and easier to get.

As for Wes and his theory he can't run low pressure.. get over it have you ever actually spun a tyre on the rim ?? Answer NO... so in you own words stop crapping on about something you can't prove and start driving like less of a poof :repuke

So who is coming up the beach this weekend to watch WEs get stuck again ??

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
Memberdaz67
Wolfsburg Wizard
Qld Manx

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 08:05 AM

Quote:"So who is coming up the beach this weekend to watch WEs get stuck again ?? "

I'll be there to watch that!

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buggy Brad
As for Wes and his theory he can't run low pressure.. get over it have you ever actually spun a tyre on the rim ??

I didn't say I can't, I said I am scared to as I may spin a tyre on a rim. I don't carry a spare so I don't want a flat. I have spun many motorbike tyres on their rims so know it ain't that hard to do.

but you don't have to be scared of doing it with your 48HP :P

But we are never going to get anywhere with this arguement. Like other things people will have their own opinions. You just gotta look at the different people, what they've tried, take it all with a grain of salt and then try stuff for yourself :thumb

Memberhandycam
Custom Title Time!
king of something

Threads: 61

Mood: ??????????????????????????

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 05:14 PM

i agre with u wes we all have our own way of doing things some beter than others but if u all make it 2 the same spot on the day the:beer is wat u should make shore u all have :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT01052.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/vwhandycam/PICT00522.jpg
Membertonyg
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 15

Mood: lost in the deep north

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 09:21 PM

sumbuddy suggesting I is old? what a hide, I'm only 60. Still young for a rev head. Smooth tyres still work on sand, does not matter how old you is. You still gotta have enuf KW. Of course if you is after acceleration, then that is another matter, hence paddle tyres, (smooth tyres with upstanding blades if my alzheimer befuddled brain cells (or is that too much 60's dope?)recall correctly.

they took me away haha, hope the medication works
Membermanxed69
A.k.a.: Steven Vanes
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 12

Mood: Summer again!!! :)

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buggy Brad

So who is coming up the beach this weekend to watch WEs get stuck again ??

Sorry Brad I can't make it. Can you please take the photos and post them on the Manx Club Site?

:P

http://www.offroadvw.net/buggybrad/manxed69.gif
MemberMickH
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

posted on December 30th, 2003 at 09:55 PM

This is what you need to do Boozer........

tssnq.com.au
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on January 1st, 2004 at 05:31 PM

maybe later....:D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top